• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, T.O to Make Anime Movie of Mass Effect Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Gross, Anime Movie on bad games...
And again the idea of an Anime Movie based off the 3 Godfather movie is ignored..

Did you even play the game??? How is Mass Effect even that bad. I believe Mass Effect 2 was even given Game of the Year from several game reviewers.

Back on topic, I always Mass Effect would make a great anime. I like to add that Mass Effect seem to have a following in Japan. The first game sold so well in Japan. The second game for the 360 version, not so well. I do suspect the Japanese are waiting for the PS3 version to come to Japan. Anyway, I'm planning to buy ME2 for my PS3, and I have plan to read the Mass Effect novels for my reading pleasure.

I always thought Mass Effect could be adapted into a anime. I'm sure many Japanese fans of this game may like this too. This is quite exciting for me. After Halo Legends, Dante's Inferno anime, and now Dragon Age and Mass Effect. What could be next:

-Square Enix turning Tomb Raider and Deus Ex into anime anthologies. For the Tomb Raider anime, I hope they don't turn Lara into a 16 year old overdeveloped school girl with bombardment of fanservice (as in excessive pantyshot, and guys rubbing her jugs non-stop). This is not the Tomb Raider anime I want to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Meh... wake me up when Funimation and Production I.G. team up to make an Ace Combat anime film. Wink

"Sierra Hotel!"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
So this means shipping it out to Dr. Movie again? I laughed when they actually praised that outsourcing studio for being what GONZO used.

Pathetic.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
So I think I'm probably the only one but I haven't played the games at all. I've got no skin in the game so to speak.

From an outsider's perspective, I think this is great news! Any kind of tie-in like this tends to be pretty successful and sell well. I for one am pleased to see this announcement so soon after the buy-out news. It is a bit comforting to know that no matter what happens in the transitition period, they've got at least one big ticket item to work with.

I just hope whatever the result is in the end with this that they try for some sort of decent animation style. There's been a trend lately for some western productions to use some really, in my opinion, crappy art styles and character designs. Too much CG without the skill to pull it off and deliberately strange "toony" styles.

I've seen video from these games here and there and I'd tred very carefully when it comes to the visuals here.
SailorDeath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
"A sequel titled Mass Effect 2 was released on the PC, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3 consoles this past January. "

FYI, ME2 came out for the Xbox360 and PC in January 2010 and the PS3 in January 2011.

Just figured I'd let you know for the sake of accuracy.

Also I think Mass Effect 3 is slated to come out for all 3 consoles in the fall.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Talk about diversifying their portfolio! Very Happy Didn't know Funimation was looking into producing/developing domestic properties, this is kinda interesting. I guess this is in the same vein as "Halo Legends", which wasn't all that bad from my memory (it was kinda like Animatrix come to think of it).

So I'm guessing Funimation is the middleman between T.O. Entertainment and Bioware... This could be interesting since more games could be turned into anime. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened for Dragon Age, or even WoW.

For collectors and diehard fans of these series having incidental merchandise is a must, so there are probably plenty who would be willing to buy these products, even if the visuals achieved in anime face some difficulty competing visually with lush 3D graphics.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
No Production IG for this.... Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
So now that the issue of ownership is dealt with, Funimation feels that they can do projects again. Laughing
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Since it's animated, will the characters still have the same thousand-hard stares, awkward head and hand-gestures, and the tendency to shift back-and-forth on feet as though they need to take a piss real bad?
The Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
So would Funi be using their regular Texas VAs or would they use the LA based VAs who did the voices for the game?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
How would the Harem element be incorporated into the movie?

Also, how would the depiction of Shepard be accepted with fans? Part of the allure of Mass Effect was the custom character design, indeed that is cited as a failure of merchandise using the "stock" Shepard look, namely the first Mass Effect statue. The movie will have to lock in a look for a nebulous character, and no choice will please all fans...I'm not even sure there's a choice that will please a majority of fans. (Withstanding such cheap ideas as casting a "hot" actress as Shepherd.)

Oh, will you have to watch the movie 2-3 times to "unlock" everything? Very Happy

Ugh, PLEASE do not let them make it like Halo: Legends. That show ruined Halo, what with all it's self-conflicting anti-war BS. "Spartan 1337"...there's no justifying that.(And Microsoft & Bungie approved of the writing and plot. Sad )

While we might not agree on those sentiments above, I'd think we could agree that the Mass Effect anime needs to employ a better art style than Halo: Legends. A pastel colored, proportion-ignoring, "kid" look for Mass Effect wouldn't jibe with the what the franchise is.

EDIT:
Quote:
So would Funi be using their regular Texas VAs or would they use the LA based VAs who did the voices for the game?

ADV actors were used for Halo: Legends. While ADV didn't (thankfully) make Halo: Legends, I think it sets a reasonable precedent to go on. The producing studio could have just as easily called in Steve Downes to reprise the voice of Master Chief as they did David "Golgo 13" Wald to replace him. Same thing with getting Jen Taylor to reprise Cortana versus using ADV & Shelly Calene-Black to replace her.

Last edited by Echo_City on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Wait, did Funimation license Skip Beat? I thought I heard something related to Skip Beat and Funimation awhile ago. Haven't heard a word since. Am I wrong?

Sadly, nobody has licensed Skip Beat!

Looking forward to this, even if ME2 was a disappointment for me.

However, as far as I know, Crunchyroll still has the streaming license to Skip Beat!. Granted, that's no DVD or dub, but I watched the whole thing there and was satisfied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Ugh, PLEASE do not let them make it like Halo: Legends. That show ruined Halo, what with all it's self-conflicting anti-war BS. "Spartan 1337"...there's no justifying that.(And Microsoft & Bungie approved of the writing and plot. Sad )

For the record, you know Odd One Out with Spartan 1337 was stated time and time again by the project developers (O'Connor and Chou) that it was intentionally non-canon. Lot of people don't seem to get, they actually wanted to appeal to non Halo fans too. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
While we might not agree on those sentiments above, I'd think we could agree that the Mass Effect anime needs to employ a better art style than Halo: Legends. A pastel colored, proportion-ignoring, "kid" look for Mass Effect wouldn't jibe with the what the franchise is. So would Funi be using their regular Texas VAs or would they use the LA based VAs who did the voices for the game?

ADV actors were used for Halo: Legends. While ADV didn't (thankfully) make Halo: Legends, I think it sets a reasonable precedent to go on. The producing studio could have just as easily called in Steve Downes to reprise the voice of Master Chief as they did David "Golgo 13" Wald to replace him. Same thing with getting Jen Taylor to reprise Cortana versus using ADV & Shelly Calene-Black to replace her.[/quote]

Getting original cast members is far easier said than done. They didn't talk much why they couldn't get Downes and Taylor to reprise their roles though my best guess would be scheduling conflicts. There's also a matter of said actors are apart of SAG or not, unions make everything more complicated then they should be.

EDIT: BTW all, T.O. like Funimation seems to be a production/distribution company and not so much in the animation end, so a studio like Production I.G could potentially be selected to animate it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Prince_Kurama wrote:
ok that's just the best news I've ever heard!!!! mass effect kicks major ass and is one of the best sci fi franchises out there now, can't wait for the anime movie!

This news has got to be the biggest susprise of the year.

Hopefully it goes well cause other than Zone of the Enders , Halo Legends , Devil May Cry & Xenosaga The Animation , anime based from video games has not gone so well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm torn here. On the one hand, Mass Effect is one of the tiny handful of games with an outstanding story that actually can stand on it's own as excellent without the preface: for a game story.

Then again, because of that, a movie based on the actual plot of the game seems redundant and if it isn't based on the plot of the main game I must wonder if it will be anything more than the typical side story/cash in.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it will follow characters from the games, just without Shepard since Bioware games pride themselves on offering choices to the player, and that simply doesn't jive with a passive viewing experience. The books and comics for Mass Effect and Dragon Age have followed people from the games, either past or present, so I'd expect something similar.

Of course, it could be something completely standalone that just takes place in familiar settings since the comics and books based on Bioware games were written by the writers at Bioware, so they might not agree to allow certain characters to be used if someone else is writing them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3