• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Study of Modern Social Homogeneity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
Why can't you people just drink water? I assure you it's not cursed. Wink
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Betty Kuraka? Laughing

Am I the only one who caught that?

Awesome reviews as allways - Welcome back!
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:13 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Why can't you people just drink water? I assure you it's not cursed.

It is if it's bottled :grins:

But not as cursed as soft drinks.
[Chants over cans to reduce the effect]

As for Genshiken I haven't seen a show that rips the covers off hard core fan life like this since Otaku no Video.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:15 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Betty Kuraka? Laughing

Am I the only one who caught that?
Laughing I pissed myself when I read that too. Class. Laughing
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
It's the kids. I read somewhere that many kids today act as if they are owed something (esp by their parents). I was little, it was called having the gimmie gimmies. Of course, this isn't true of all kids. I've worked in summer camps and I've found quite a few awesome ones. It would make sense to find the spoiled kids pooled at a place where a lot of money is spent.

Parents should bring back chores though, it helps to know how to take care of yourself once you leave the house. I remember my Saturdays consisted of Muppet Babiesm, Garfield, Ninja Turtles then vacuming Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Excellent review.

I, like many previous posters, found Genshiken to hit too close to home for me. I understand Sasahara's initial dilemma, considering that I had that same thirst for knowledge after being initiated by DBZ and Sailor Moon. However, it was how Madarame acted during episode 3 (?) that spooked me, spoiler[as he refused to seek medical attention for a wrist injury he suffered while waiting in line for a convention, instead insisting that he attend it. In a similar situation, I badly sprained my ankle the night before a monthly meeting of a local anime club. Suffice to say, I limped to that meeting, only seeing a doctor about it two days after the injury].

Eos wrote:
I read somewhere that many kids today act as if they are owed something (esp by their parents).

I agree with you. When high school (and the expenses associated with it) came around, I was quickly informed that it was time to get a job. Thusly, in short manner, I learned the true value of a dollar. Since then, I've worked in the foodservice industry for nearly eight years, and the high school students I work with don't understand the meaning of either work or money. What else can I say when I know my employees are bought cars for their birthday to complement their new drivers' licenses?
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
buuttt... i like flat soda! (i know i'm weird)

fizz is just too much for me..
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:26 am Reply with quote
Jeez...I gotta love growing up in the lower-middle class of my area while all my upper-middle class kids buy tons of stuff with their money. I don't really need much, but in my area, kids are definately too "wealthy" for their own good, and it shows because many kids are too full of themselves because their parents just throw money and gifts at them. I know that I can't just decide to get a $300 metal DDR pad and iPod on a whim. I'm just happy I have a car to drive, and I don't even get to keep it when I move away from home.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
buuttt... i like flat soda! (i know i'm weird)

fizz is just too much for me..

For my taste, if soda's cold, it better be carbonated. I'll only drink a flat soda if it's warm.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
AlphaBlitz wrote:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with flat soda, I like flat soda!

I like flat Sprite and flat Mountain Dew (and its incarnations). I find flat Coke to be a bit ghastly though, unless I'm really thirsty. Then flat coke with melted ice cubes kinda does the trick.

I'm partial only to flat root beer, and maybe Ginger ale, since the ginger stays prominent even when flat.

As for Sakura, while it's good to see a final uncensored version in this collective, I actually found the new dub to be even more reprehensible than the older version. At least Urara was tolerable in the original dub. Made me switch to sub only because of it.

And yes, Dumb Duo is rather accurate.
Kissin' cousins though in any language=creepy.
Seanb
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Why can't you people just drink water? I assure you it's not cursed. Wink

I've lived in some places where the water is definitely cursed. At least where I'm living now has a mini-curse on it. :/
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I think people missed the cursed water joke, but that's okay. Maybe I missed it, too.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Wink Yes, I use that word often. But it doesn't make me any less curious where the hell they get their money, and why their parents don't care that they're dressed like hookers.

I often wonder the same thing myself. I still know parents that wouldn't let their daughters be caught DEAD acting so rich and dressing so slutty, but I also see evidence of alot of other parents either not caring or encouraging such behavior because I see little girls like that a good amount when I'm out around town (which is an occassional thing for me now since finals are looming close).

I know one thing, though. When I become a father, if I have a daughter, she's not going to be that spoiled, and if she trys to walk out of the house dressed like you described some girls dressing in the mall, then my exact words to her when she says, "I'm going out for a while," will be, "Dressed like that? Over my dead body you are."
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:

I often wonder the same thing myself. I still know parents that wouldn't let their daughters be caught DEAD acting so rich and dressing so slutty, but I also see evidence of alot of other parents either not caring or encouraging such behavior because I see little girls like that a good amount when I'm out around town (which is an occassional thing for me now since finals are looming close).

I know one thing, though. When I become a father, if I have a daughter, she's not going to be that spoiled, and if she trys to walk out of the house dressed like you described some girls dressing in the mall, then my exact words to her when she says, "I'm going out for a while," will be, "Dressed like that? Over my dead body you are."
Ohh! I can hear the tantrums already. Laughing My daughter is a tweeny at 11. but I have seen 9 and 10-year-old girls from her class dress like they were 16 or 17 too. I said they look like tarts and are just asking for trouble from the perverts out there, which of course they are. My daughter now swears she will never wear clothes and makeup like that ever. It's nice to hear but only time will tell. We call such people who allow their daughters to dress like that "chavs". Wink
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
I have to say that I liked GANTZ, mostly because of those annoying moments the characters have. It's refreshing to not have a superheroesque good guy as the lead in the story. Especially in what could be just another basic action story. I like the fact that they all have to deal with the violence around them differently. But it is definitely the toughest show I've watched since Texhnolyze.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3