• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney to Release The Wind Rises in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I like both hand-drawn and CGI, and believe both are unique in their own way. Pixar is fantastic at what they do in terms of CG, as they helped make it a very mainstream animation technique, but I still believe there's a place for traditional animation, especially at Disney Animation Studios. Even John Lasseter himself has no idea why Disney would even get rid of hand-drawn altogether like they did back in 2003.

Because of Treasure Planet and a few others did not do so well. Before 2000, most Americans were used to "hand drawn animation" rather than CG.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
There is a reason a lot of people prefer subs to dubs
Because a majority of the people who hate dubs and love anything Japanese VAs do don't understand a lick of Japanese and think that the ridiculous overacting you hear in Japanese voice work is Oscar-worthy.

And honestly, I say this as someone who never watches anime dubbed.
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
By the way, has anyone noticed that Japan is the last country in the world to have hand-drawn animation as mainstream entertainment?

America shut down all it's animation studios in the 90s and 00s. They fully embraced CG and Flash and the industry has went down the crapper ever since so I'm happy Japan didn't do the same

CrownKlown wrote:
There is a reason a lot of people prefer subs to dubs

Is it because most anime don't get dubs? Laughing Hard to prefer a dub that doesn't exist.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
America shut down all it's animation studios in the 90s and 00s. They fully embraced CG and Flash and the industry has went down the crapper ever since so I'm happy Japan didn't do the same

Correction, they outsource to Taiwan, India, South Korea, China and the Philippines, because they can do the same quality of animation for a fraction of what America demands. There are still loads of animation studios. Also, ink and paint and other stuff like that are done Stateside, mostly. It's because being an animator is a much better job than it is in Japan. Top animators in Japan get about $30,000 per year. Pixar animators get a LOT more than that. Also, stop being such a nostalgia junkie. Personally, I think Japanese animators should do much 3D animations. Also, it's not like anime hasn't taken a hit. It's not nearly as profitable as it was back in like 2004.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
aisuru113 wrote:
Does this mean we have to sit though more terrible Disney kid voices for this movie too?

In terms of ghibli films, I think disney does a good job for dubbing :/
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Quote:

Correction, they outsource to Taiwan, India, South Korea, China and the Philippines, because they can do the same quality of animation for a fraction of what America demands. There are still loads of animation studios. Also, ink and paint and other stuff like that are done Stateside, mostly. It's because being an animator is a much better job than it is in Japan. Top animators in Japan get about $30,000 per year. Pixar animators get a LOT more than that. Also, stop being such a nostalgia junkie. Personally, I think Japanese animators should do much 3D animations. Also, it's not like anime hasn't taken a hit. It's not nearly as profitable as it was back in like 2004.

Don't forget Japan, they did some outsourced work too. Remember how TMS Entertainment (the studio behind Case Closed, a.k.a. Detective Conan) usually worked on some US made shows from Disney, and helped Warner Bros. with Batman: The Animated Series?
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't forget Japan, they did some outsourced work too. Remember how TMS Entertainment usually worked on some US made shows from Disney, and helped Warner Bros. with Batman: The Animated Series?

Yeah, I know. TMS are considered to be expensive, but their animation is very good. Ducktales had direct to video quality animation during the TMS episodes. The Taiwan episodes only have above average animation. Same with Chip and Dale. Yeah, Warner Bros also liked to use TMS for Batman TAS, The New Batman Adventures and the super fluid Looney Tunes spinoffs Animaniacs and Tiny Toons Adventures, which had about 25,000 cels per episode on average, though Kennedy did TT and that could have shitty animations. Also, Disney of Japan did some animation for Little Mermaid, as well as some of the Disney Toon movies, like Return to Neverland, which had a $20 million budget.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
and helped Warner Bros. with Batman: The Animated Series?

Sunrise also helped with Batman: TAS too. That's why Sunrise's The Big O seem to have been influenced by Batman.

Roger Smith=Bruce Wayne/Batman

Griffon (Roger's car)=Batmobile

Norman=Alfred

Dan Dastun=Comissioner Jim Gordon

I'm kinda sad that Sunrise didn't lend their animation expertise to Gotham Knight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Top animators in Japan get about $30,000 per year. Pixar animators get a LOT more than that.

I'd hope so, they work at movie studios and not on TV. Laughing

Quote:
Yeah, I know. TMS are considered to be expensive, but their animation is very good. Ducktales had direct to video quality animation during the TMS episodes. The Taiwan episodes only have above average animation. Same with Chip and Dale. Yeah, Warner Bros also liked to use TMS for Batman TAS, The New Batman Adventures and the super fluid Looney Tunes spinoffs Animaniacs and Tiny Toons Adventures, which had about 25,000 cels per episode on average, though Kennedy did TT and that could have shitty animations. Also, Disney of Japan did some animation for Little Mermaid, as well as some of the Disney Toon movies, like Return to Neverland, which had a $20 million budget.

Kennedy was pretty bad Laughing But Encore was the worst

TMS is definitely the best.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear this news, since I'd heard Disney was done with Ghibli. Hope this movie's good.

Off-topic...

I see people praising TMS, and yeah, they can be very good--when they either want to, or someone forces them to. I think their work for Warner Bros turned out so well because the guys behind Tiny Toons, Batman, etc. knew how to work them. Because you take a look at the stuff they did for DiC, or the 90s Spider-Man show, and there is a massive drop in quality. And I haven't yet been too impressed by any anime they've done--so it seems they fall into the "brilliant but lazy" category overall.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I see people praising TMS, and yeah, they can be very good--when they either want to, or someone forces them to. I think their work for Warner Bros turned out so well because the guys behind Tiny Toons, Batman, etc. knew how to work them. Because you take a look at the stuff they did for DiC, or the 90s Spider-Man show, and there is a massive drop in quality. And I haven't yet been too impressed by any anime they've done--so it seems they fall into the "brilliant but lazy" category overall.

You haven't watched Akira, have you? If you have, how can you not be impressed? That animation has yet to be outdone by any anime, as of now. It has more cels than Princess Mononoke, which is from 9 years AFTER Akira.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
You haven't watched Akira, have you? If you have, how can you not be impressed? That animation has yet to be outdone by any anime, as of now. It has more cels than Princess Mononoke, which is from 9 years AFTER Akira.

Number of cells:

Akira: 160,000
PM: 144,000
Spirited Away: 112,000
Howl's: 148,000
Ponyo: 170,000
The Wind Rises: 250,000

Budget (millions of yen):

Akira: 1,100
Ghost in the Shell: 600
PM: 2,400
Perfect Blue: 120
Spirited Away: 1,900
Howl's: 2,400
Ponyo: 3,400

Typical anime films cost between 100 and 800 million yen. Higher budgets than that only Ghibli and a few blockbusters like Akira. Anyway, budget is not everything: experience also means a lot, modern anime makers can make very realistic animation at a low cost: K-ON, the tv series, has some really impressive animation (IMO) and it's cost is very low (probably less than 100 million yen for a set of 4 episodes, which is the length of a film).

The level of detail in Ghibli animation is also higher than in Akira. So PM has less cells but it cost more than twice as much (2.4 billion yen versus 1.1 billion yen).

Overall, Akira had the best animation ever in 1988, PM had the best animation ever up to 1997 (physics was better handled in Princess Mononoke than Akira, even though the framerate was slightly lower) and The Wind Rises has probably now the best animation quality ever on a animated film up to now, very high framerates, high level of detail and very high level of physical realism. Though I haven't watched it yet.

Among hand drawn animation I have watched the most visually impressive ever is Howl's Moving Castle: It's level of detail and physical realism just awe inspiring, even though it's framerate is lower than Akira and Disney's films. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are also extremely impressive works of hand drawn animation, even though they have lower framerates than Akira the level of detail and physical realism is higher.

Also, I must finally add that while in terms of films most movies made outside of Japan are CGI, the fact remains that Japan produces more animated films than the rest of the world combined (well, the US produces around 15 animated features per year while Japan produced 120 in 2005), thus the majority of animated films made in the world is still hand drawn. Also, most adult animation is hand drawn even in the US: The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc, are hand drawn, South Park is 2D CGI.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I noticed that too. That's the main reason I'm a fan of Japanese animation as I'm a fan of traditional animation and not so crazy about CG animation.

One problem though is also that most CGI movies are made for 5 year olds and so the graphics have very low level of detail. However, some CGI made for teenagers and adults can be very detailed such as the cutscenes of the last videogames like Starcraft II and it's expansions. Still, I prefer the more aggressive look of 2D animation.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

One problem though is also that most CGI movies are made for 5 year olds and so the graphics have very low level of detail.

Yeah, um...no. In general, American CGI movies are made for the same audience as American 2D movies.

I prefer hand-drawn animation as well, but let's please not make such silly generalities.

Getting somewhat back on topic, I've admittedly not seen all of Disney's dubs, but I've never been annoyed by celebrity casting and performance...except maybe Phil Hartman in Kiki's Delivery Service. Why this insistence on using nothing but professional voice actors? Disney's been doing celebrity casting since the 50s, and they generally do a good job (generally, mind you).
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

One problem though is also that most CGI movies are made for 5 year olds and so the graphics have very low level of detail.

Yeah, um...no. In general, American CGI movies are made for the same audience as American 2D movies.

I prefer hand-drawn animation as well, but let's please not make such silly generalities.

Getting somewhat back on topic, I've admittedly not seen all of Disney's dubs, but I've never been annoyed by celebrity casting and performance...except maybe Phil Hartman in Kiki's Delivery Service. Why this insistence on using nothing but professional voice actors? Disney's been doing celebrity casting since the 50s, and they generally do a good job (generally, mind you).

Same here. What does it matter who Disney decides to choose for its voice actors? As long as the dub is good, then that's what matters. And frankly, a lot of us think the Ghibli dubs by Disney are terrific.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4