• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigun Film Gets North American Theatrical Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
Despite the fact Jeff Nimoy won't reprise his role as Wolfwood, does anyone find it amusing that Brad Hawkins is in this? Once you noticed his past role, just having him in the same vicinity with Bosch just makes this more fun! Surprised
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Despite the fact Jeff Nimoy won't reprise his role as Wolfwood, does anyone find it amusing that Brad Hawkins is in this? Once you noticed his past role, just having him in the same vicinity with Bosch just makes this more fun! Surprised

yea that would those of both PR fans & VR fans looking forward to hear yea cue saban live action shows 90s era all over again.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
I agree with alot of you who are hoping for the subbed version at a theater near you. I'm fortunate enough that I live close to NYC, so I think I have a good shot at seeing a subbed version of this film. Though no subbed versions of 2.0 were played in NYC (dub only), I am still hopeful to see a subbed version of the film.

If it doesn't screen, there's always waiting for the blu-ray. Then you can screen it in your own home, put on the 5.1 surround and enjoy it then.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
I'm actually ok with the cast changes, I never really cared for anyone other than Bosch anyway.

I would rather see this on DVD to be honest, as the are most likely to show it around me is Boston, which is an expensive trip, even if i take the bus. I'm not so sure i wanna spend that kinda money on this, never been a huge fan of Trigun.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It almost feels petty to admit this, but if the original cast doesn't return, my interest in the film will be substantially diminished. Johnny Yong Bosch as Vash the Stampede is essential, but I rate the other leads, especially Jeff Nimoy and Lia Sargent, nearly as high. The cast given above features excellent voices, but if the originals aren't there, it might not strike those sweet, nostalgic chords that are a lot of the appeal to me of Badlands Rumble.

I agree with this. Without JYB this would have fallen through. At the same time I am not happy with the choices they have as replacements.
I do think Hawkins might be ok as Wolfwood. But the others? Not a fan.

I'll wait to see some reviews on the dub before I cast it off entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Botan24

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have to say this. I am one of those terribly inflexible people that doesn't handle change well. So, even if the theatrical release does make it to my neck of the woods (doubt it) I will not be going. I'm pleased that Johnny Yong Bosch is reprising his role as Vash. However, without the other original cast members, I know I won't like it. I especially have a problem that Jeff Nimoy is not coming back as Wolfwood. And I understand that it costs big bucks to travel just for a one time thing. But still...
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
Hate to break it to everyone, but it looks like FUNi is not getting all of the original cast.

Quote:
Johnny Yong Bosch as Vash the Stampede
Brad Hawkins as Nicholas D. Wolfwood
Luci Christian as Meryl Stryfe
Trina Nishimura as Milly Thompson

This was on ANN's Trigun's movie page. Looks like Hawkins, Cristian, and Nishimura are replacing Jeff Nimoy, Dorothy Melendrez, and Lia Sargent respectively. I'm crossing my fingers that this isn't true >.<
It's true. I don't know why but I can't watch Trigun subbed and the dub was outstanding. I'll pass.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Okay, I have to say this. I am one of those terribly inflexible people that doesn't handle change well. So, even if the theatrical release does make it to my neck of the woods (doubt it) I will not be going. I'm pleased that Johnny Yong Bosch is reprising his role as Vash. However, without the other original cast members, I know I won't like it. I especially have a problem that Jeff Nimoy is not coming back as Wolfwood. And I understand that it costs big bucks to travel just for a one time thing. But still...

That's true, if they weren't going to have to pay extra to get back Meryl and Milly's VAs they should have at least used the saved cash and paid the extra travel costs just for Nimoy to re-do Wolfwood if they knew in advance the other two wouldn't be available/affordable for them or because they weren't acting anymore or any other reason, the two of them would have been pretty reasonable as a compromise. Such a missed opportunity to really hit the nostalgia with such a relatively small cast even needing to brought back in the first place since there's only 4 leads, and something that's really added to the awesomeness of the Eva remakes getting at least several of the more prominent distinctive voices from the series back together, same with Funi's job getting the Slayers cast back together. *sigh*

Still, Vash by far has the most screentime along with the new characters and Bosch's Vash as usual should be too good to pass up especially after all this time (and as the role he made his name on) and be the biggest highlight of the movie and will add quite a bit to the movie. So I'm depressed but still a bit eager to watch it dubbed for good ol' Vash, I just hope the others (who I've all liked a ton in other shows, but obviously just can't behind here for obvious reasons) at least manage to capture some of the coolness of the 3 leads even if they are impossible to replace.

As Greed1914 said, as Bosch started to show up in some previous Funi shows like those and also Sengoku Basara I was getting pretty pleasantly confident he'd be back, so it's ashame they couldn't at least get back Wolfwood too since he's clearly been keeping up with the existence of the project even on his own free time. For the first time I'm a little more worried about what's going to happen with Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon when we finally get to those new installments as both had perfect casting, and especially Hellsing with it's godly once-in-a-lifetime international cast, at least the voice director of Hellsing Ultimate seems to be working at Funi now since the demise of Geneon so maybe that's got a chance since he'll be there to personally push it as much as possible I imagine...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
5 bucks says that Todd Haberkorn would've taken over as the role of Vash had JYB declined.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
That's true, if they weren't going to have to pay extra to get back Meryl and Milly's VAs they should have at least used the saved cash and paid the extra travel costs just for Nimoy to re-do Wolfwood if they knew in advance the other two wouldn't be available/affordable for them or because they weren't acting anymore or any other reason, the two of them would have been pretty reasonable as a compromise. Such a missed opportunity to really hit the nostalgia with such a relatively small cast even needing to brought back in the first place since there's only 4 leads, and something that's really added to the awesomeness of the Eva remakes getting at least several of the more prominent distinctive voices from the series back together, same with Funi's job getting the Slayers cast back together. *sigh*

Still, Vash by far has the most screentime along with the new characters and Bosch's Vash as usual should be too good to pass up especially after all this time (and as the role he made his name on) and be the biggest highlight of the movie and will add quite a bit to the movie. So I'm depressed but still a bit eager to watch it dubbed for good ol' Vash, I just hope the others (who I've all liked a ton in other shows, but obviously just can't behind here for obvious reasons) at least manage to capture some of the coolness of the 3 leads even if they are impossible to replace.

As Greed1914 said, as Bosch started to show up in some previous Funi shows like those and also Sengoku Basara I was getting pretty pleasantly confident he'd be back, so it's ashame they couldn't at least get back Wolfwood too since he's clearly been keeping up with the existence of the project even on his own free time. For the first time I'm a little more worried about what's going to happen with Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon when we finally get to those new installments as both had perfect casting, and especially Hellsing with it's godly once-in-a-lifetime international cast, at least the voice director of Hellsing Ultimate seems to be working at Funi now since the demise of Geneon so maybe that's got a chance since he'll be there to personally push it as much as possible I imagine...

This.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I ask a genuine question to those displeased with this movies English casting:

Will you watch this movie sub only or not at all? And if sub only do the Japanese VA performances hold the same level of importance/nostalgia as the original English VA's had?

I'm just curious of the thought process. Was reuniting the original English VA cast for this movie the absolute deal breaker, it's all or nothing?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I ask a genuine question to those displeased with this movies English casting:

Will you watch this movie sub only or not at all? And if sub only do the Japanese VA performances hold the same level of importance/nostalgia as the original English VA's had?

I'm just curious of the thought process. Was reuniting the original English VA cast for this movie the absolute deal breaker, it's all or nothing?

In Trigun's particular case I think they got the really important one since Vash is still by far the biggest player in Trigun. I guess it could be a deal-breaker for some but while I'm disappointed since I loved all of them and especially since it's merely 4 actors they needed to get back (not 6+ or something) it's really ashame they couldn't at least get two of them, they got by far the most important one they had to pony up for, Bosch's Vash is the key here so I think they'll get lucky since Vash is the real star here while the other shows mentioned were far more ensemble pieces. I'll still most definitely be picking this up to watch the dub with my favorite Vash since I loved Bosch's Vash far more than the Japanese one (not that he was bad, but Bosch's was so much fun) and just his Vash will make the movie even more fun than the movie already was in fansub.

I'm not sure yet how flexible I'll feel until the time comes I guess with Hellsing and Black Lagoon's bigger casts since all of the characters still have so many character-defining scenes remaining unlike in a one-shot movie, especially Hellsing's given how long they've been together and I have no idea how they managed to put together that international cast of more or less perfection let alone got them all back for Ultimate a while after the TV series so we've been hearing them for years giving the original actors a serious run for their money for such a long period of time.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the show and it's English dub, while I'm sad that three out of four of them won't be coming back, but JYB is my favorite in the series, so I will buy it. I just hope the other actors will do their best. I am completely flexible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4