• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Pulls Some Yaoi/BL Manga from U.S. Kindle Store

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Amazon isn't the government. If they don't want to provide this content then that's their business. They aren't the only company selling digital books nor are they the only company making digital book readers. There are other options out there.
Cait

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone is saying that Amazon isn't "allowed" to do this. I'm pretty sure everyone here is bothered by the arbitrary, hypocritical and somewhat homophobic nature of their decision to remove these titles. Amazon has the right to remove the titles and we all have the right to be bothered by it, complain about it (to each other and to them, as many have already contacted Amazon about it) and take action against Amazon because of it (like a boycott of their products).
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
well... this makes me rethink my potential purchase of a Kindle :\ I was still pretty on-the-fence about it, and I don't think I'd really read manga on it, but if they're going to be like this, I'll look elsewhere -_-
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
And yet another reason why I never shop on Amazon. I'll stick with good old TRSI and eBay, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Well it looks like this situation is...

*puts on sunglasses*

Pretty gay.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

I don't find the fact that this event is happy in anyway shape or form.

Also, this is now Reason #2334 on why I will never get an E-Reader.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I can't tell if you're pulling Eri94's leg or if you honestly didn't catch the CSI: Miami reference.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I can't tell if you're pulling Eri94's leg or if you honestly didn't catch the CSI: Miami reference.

Look at a dictionary.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
America is addicted to censorship when anything becomes wildely popular the censors move in and with our widely prestoeducated middle class ready to be whip into frenzy for whatever cause their masters think has to be surpress this happens I will give examples from non manga graphic and text novels Lann and Nymph both involve 12 year old boy and a adult woman in a sexual situations the later involve incest between mother and son both were published by EROS Fantagraphic Books adult comics and manga line I doult they would be published in todays climate. And I know of a anime 18 of a sodomy rape scence where the victim had to be between 10 and 12 that was critical to the story I think Chimera was it's name and I know of two text novels The Manhood Ceremony and another text novel which I know of but didn't read about a 12 year old boy prostitute who service men at truck stops I don't remember the title of the second book I doult both books would find a publisher today so all this at Amazon sounds and looks like cenoship to me I could mention other books but I think Imade my point.
NGK

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
And yet another reason why I never shop on Amazon. I'll stick with good old TRSI and eBay, thanks.

You are free to order and import 2D sexploitation stuff from ebay etc.... but don't go cryin to mama when ICE & U.S. Postal Inspection Service intercepts your package and ICE come storming in your house to really ruin your life Laughing
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

You are free to order and import 2D sexploitation stuff from ebay etc.... but don't go cryin to mama when ICE & U.S. Postal Inspection Service intercepts your package and ICE come storming in your house to really ruin your life Laughing

Ummm..........I'm not a lolicon/shotacon, thanks. I like Yaoi but not when it involves little boys. I highly doubt they'll raid my house over a manga book of two male highschoolers doing the dirty (especially when its not that explicit). They haven't so far over me owning Papa to Kiss in the Dark DVD and that show has (supposedly) incest.

Your post is also irrelevant to the topic. These are teenage (16+) boys we are taking about, not elementary/pre-school kids. -_-

Last edited by Rukiia on Wed May 04, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

Look at a dictionary.

Why? Having graduated junior high many years ago, I'm already familiar with the various usages of the word, "gay," which I'm assume you're implying I do not. In fact, I'm not at all a fan of people using what has become an homophobic slur as a synonym for lame, stupid, etc. My comment was questioning whether or not Eri94's obvious joke playing off a common target of parody had gone completely over your head or if you were simply feigning ignorance.
NGK

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

Look at a dictionary.

Why? Having graduated junior high many years ago, I'm already familiar with the various usages of the word, "gay," which I'm assume you're implying I do not. In fact, I'm not at all a fan of people using what has become an homophobic slur as a synonym for lame, stupid, etc. My comment was questioning whether or not Eri94's obvious joke playing off a common target of parody had gone completely over your head or if you were simply feigning ignorance.

Would you rather restrict the use of that word like what this school district is about to do?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Me, personally? No, I wouldn't. Actually, I don't think much of the prevailing political climate of Tennessee, in general.

Why do you ask? Would you?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Thus people go back to illegal scanlations, not that I blame them. I just love this stupid country of mine and even though i am not a bl fan I believe fans have a right to it. Heh this just the begenning but in all honesty who the hell uses kindle? I have an I pad with a crap load of scans on it and never looked back lol. Yes I have been lurking for the past 4 days, I have had more important things to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
well... this makes me rethink my potential purchase of a Kindle :\ I was still pretty on-the-fence about it, and I don't think I'd really read manga on it, but if they're going to be like this, I'll look elsewhere -_-
While it won't prevent me from shopping on Amazon for used books, it does decide me against buying a Kindle ~ it'll be an ePub eReader for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5