• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I only saw the dub, and I loved it. It had like all the best LA VA talent, minus Steve Blum and Wendee Lee. They said Eureka odd, but it was in line with the Japanese and they did the best they could for such an oddly pronounced name. Crispin Freeman's Holland was an especially notable standout in the dub. I felt Holland was real when he was voicing him. Plus Doug STONE voiced STONEr. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
simmeh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Funny story: of all the anime I've watched, I had the most 'false starts' with this one. I quit after the first few minutes of the first episode 3 or 4 times before finally managing to watch the whole thing. The reason? I could only find the dub, and I hated Renton's voice. It was only after I tracked down the sub that I was able to watch it.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't quit over just Renton's voice. Johnny Yong Bosch was forced to go that low(they fired Yuri Lowenthal after he'd recorded 10 episodes because he was too low pitched). JYB was brought in at the last second to quickly record the first 10 episodes, so his work in those episodes feels rushed. He gets a little better after that, with his voice slowly deepening as the character develops through the series. I won't say he gets a ton better, but he does change some. Plus it's better than a young boy being voiced by a girl like in Japan. Razz

Plus plus the rest of the dub is very good, especially my aforementioned love of Crispin Freeman's Holland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
thread is whacky....um not my place to say but some of you are posting your opinion AGAIN in this thread. Confusing much? Especially when you may or may not contradict urself.

Anyhow you should've chose to revive the other more recent Eureka thread that was made last year. Not the one that was made 5-6 years ago. Just sying this thread keeps coming back from the dead lol.

Anyhow, Eureka 7 is a great anime go watch it. However it is slow. So if a slow pace show is not ur thing, trash it.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
I actually prefer this thread, ebcause it has got more info in it rather than two mean pages. If both are old, what's the difference which one is gonna be revived.

Besides, this is not a thread where we constantly need to respond to the OP's statement- a few nice discussions came up in the course of the time the thread was up. It's my personal preference to participate in one big thread rather than in one hundred thousand tiny threads about the same show, each one containint 5 posts on a different aspect of it.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Plus one big topic makes this more like the ANN Forums' official E7 discussion topic. Smile
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I actually prefer this thread, ebcause it has got more info in it rather than two mean pages. If both are old, what's the difference which one is gonna be revived.

Besides, this is not a thread where we constantly need to respond to the OP's statement- a few nice discussions came up in the course of the time the thread was up. It's my personal preference to participate in one big thread rather than in one hundred thousand tiny threads about the same show, each one containint 5 posts on a different aspect of it.

Oh ok true. Pros outweigh cons. However, I was saying that make sure you don't contradict urself or respond to a rant that's 6 months old. That HAS occurred throughout this thread.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Oh ok true. Pros outweigh cons. However, I was saying that make sure you don't contradict urself or respond to a rant that's 6 months old. That HAS occurred throughout this thread.

Then it's my business to worry about whether I contradict myself or not, not yours Smile
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
Some of those 6 month old rants are fun, and they can spur new E7 discussion by dredging them back up. Smile
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote
uh no most recent example in this thread. As usual some bs started between two flamers couple months ago. Flamer A, Flamer B. Someone revived the thread. A looks at the thread, does not see the date, and responds to that unfinished bs. B does not respond because he either is not part of the thread, forgot about the thread, doesn't care anymore. It did occur a couple months ago.

Conclusion, we have a rant thats directed at no one. IMO, that's worst than trolling. You are talking or I should say, screaming at urself. That's not constructive no matter how you want to put it. Clearly, this is one con of necro. Second con is well what we are doing now. Nothing to talk about. Therefore, OK lets give what you guys say a chance:

I believe that's one of the things that contributed to the success of Eureka 7 was the realistic cast. Except for the relationship between Eureka and Renton, the majority of the cast were relate-able characters. You had the playful kids, the pregnant mother and father situation, the obsessive pll... covered a wide variety of people and realistic situations. I also, believed that the characters reactions to pressure also somewhat supported that realism. Idealistically, most parents would risk everything for their unborn child, lovers would overcome obstacles in order to stay together.......

The reason I say that Eureka and Renton's relationship is unrealistic is because it's like a fairy tale and its too overly done. For starters, what avg. boy would like a girl who has a cold demeanor. Personally, I believe if the girl doesn't want to talk to you and avoids you time to move on. Also Renton is too obsessive to the point I would call him a stalker. Most relationships have personal space. Those two words are not in Renton's vocab. and realistically speaking, a person in a relationship like that would suffocate etc.

Gotta start somewhere. What do you think. Now before any of you criticize. Feel free to, but do not confuse bf or gf relations with the word marriage. Two different things.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
uh no most recent example in this thread. As usual some bs started between two flamers couple months ago. Flamer A, Flamer B. Someone revived the thread. A looks at the thread, does not see the date, and responds to that unfinished bs. B does not respond because he either is not part of the thread, forgot about the thread, doesn't care anymore. It did occur a couple months ago.

(...)

(...)

OK, I see it otherwise.
Person A posted something tow years ago. B comes and replies. A does not answer, because he is no longer with us. BUT, person C who joined a few months back comes over and chips in. There is a dialogue between person B and person C. Person D turns up and has a few interesting details to share. Etc. We actually had that situation here a few months back and I really enjoyed the conversation, which would not have happened had someone (possible me Very Happy) not brough the topic back from the dark corners of the forum page number 273.

So no, I do not see it as a negatie side of necroposting. I dont think the thread 'belongs' to the person who started a discussion or people who initially participated in it. After posting, unless the thread was a recommendation one (what is forbidden here anyways), it becomes a property of the other members.

As for Eureka and Renton- I did not really like Eureka, and I found it a bit unrealistic that Renton, who after all was a teenager, decided to sacrifice so much for this relationship. Call me funny, but I have trouble believing in long term relationships in case when kids are involved. I cant even remember names of my school crushes, although every single one seemed like the love of my life at the time. It was beautiful, but yeah, highly unrealistic. That is something that happens in fairy tales though, and in this respect, E&R's relationship is way too idealised. But then again, we have an old monk in love with a flower for 40 or so years, so maybe it is not so unrealistic after all? Smile

I do however understand Renton's obsession- you know, you want what you cant get kind of thing. In the same way Talho was with Holland who for a long time was obsessing over Diane and had expectetion to be the one chosen by Eureka. Talking about disfunctional relationship.
rwarwick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you, ShinobiX. I think that if E7 is a story about the power of true love, then I'm very glad they provided many examples. I think that Talho and Holland were a much more mature couple with a much more poignant story than E&R (another reason that part of me liked the ending of the manga better spoiler[it showed that not all idealized relationships end ideally]

I really liked Charles and Ray too.
ROWROWPOWAH

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I've finished E7 English dubbed today, having discarded the subbed version a while back after deeming it as childish bullshit.

To be honest, Renton started off as one of the most annoying male leads I've ever seen in anime. His high pitched, girly Japanese voice didn't help his case either.

I also disliked the series' tendency to avoid blood, gore and profanity at the beginning. I like my anime with Ketchup and Tabasco on it, no can watch otherwise.

Also, Eureka seemed really forced for some reason because of her oddness. Her being a mother to three adopted kids seemed like a WTF moment created for a sole purpose of being a WTF moment.

And did I say that Renton was passed off as being really autistic yet? Well yeah, totally.

So that's it for the rant at the subbed version of E7. I lasted for no more than 10 eps, after which I finally got sick and tired enough to stop watching. Maybe, if I got to the part where the cool Holland got into a habit of beating the living shit out of Renton in every episode, I might have carried on watching. But only up until the point where Holland decided to stop (why Holland, Y U NO CARRY ON!?!?!).

I returned to E7 several months (if not over a year) after discarding the sub. This time round I was watching the dub and it was simply brilliant.

First of all, my attitude towards Renton took a 180. For some reason he didn't seem to be as much of a snotty little brat as he did in the subbed version of the anime. Yeah, still autistic to some degree, but aren't all oddballs? I mean, you have to be a complete oddball to fall in love with this and save the world to top it all off. So yeah, it all fit together now.

Crispin Freeman's roaring Holland was amazing. He was cool to begin with, but in the dub he took the word "sexy" to an all new level. I'm not sure what kind of affection he had to Eureka. I sure don't think that he considered her a partner, his desire for her to consider him her partner was only born out of desire to stop his brother and to save the world. Most likely, Eureka was more of a little sister or a daughter to Holland. He realised full well that he is far too old to be her partner, not to mention that he had really strong feeling towards Talho.

I've certainly never seen another sci-fi anime where the character development is so extensive and yet, so natural. Although every character's attitudes and values change (or even mature) as the series progresses, Eureka probably experienced the biggest change of all. The way she was at first, was obnoxious to say the least. If I met her on the street I wouldn't be able to hold myself back from yelling "Go back to your coral reef under the sea, you coral!". But she worked her way to becoming a true human being by nature; she learned everything about humans and became one. Her feeling, her reactions, they stopped being odd, but much rather natural. Yet, such a great change didn't feel forced. She wasn't becoming a human by magic, but rather influenced by the people who surrounded her, she learned everything from them, or worked things out by observing their actions. Nothing just popped into her head out of nowhere.

Talking about character development, Renton still remained a bit of a dumbass. He did become smarter, he did become more mature. But was still being epically dumb from time to time just like Eureka still had (very rarely) her "OH HAI, NICE TO MEET YOU, I'M A CORAL" moments. I think in Ep 48 Renton injured his arm in an outburst of emotion after seeing what mutation Eureka had undergone. All right, maybe it something like this was needed to calm the girl down, but if he wanted to be a real father, he had to realise that if something would have happened to him there would be no-one left to protect his family. He should have at least thought of another way to calm down Eureka, without having to worry everyone so much by nearly dying. Whatever, enough with the rants at Renton being an idiot at times, he wasn't supposed to fully mature by the end of the series to begin with.

Finally *drumroll* the action. These series are certainly not about mecha or mecha action, which makes me approve of them all the more. But still, E7 has a lot of action in it, very beautifully animated, GAINAX-like mecha action. Every battle which somehow involved Nirvash ZERO/the END or Gekkostate in general was very juice. Episode 32 had absolutely brilliant action in it, made by GAINAX. The final battles in the episodes 49 and 50 made me freeze in awe. This was especially true with ep 50.

The musical score for action scenes has a D&B/House tint to it. A very well made soundtrack for action scenes such as these. In general, E7 has a very effective music.

When it comes to action, E7 can and will deliver. Maybe it won't happen as often as some may like, but I assure you that the wait will always be made worthwhile.

This thread was dead for a few months. I realise full well that a few users won't appreciate me reviving it with an enormous post. But in all honesty I see this thread as an official E7 discussion thread after seeing that it has already been revived on several occasions.
Akito Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually just someone who focuses on the characters instead of the story, but rare that it might be there are times when the story can really shoot down a work for me. The worst part is that in this case, it actually detracted value from its cast.

The character development was actually pretty damn good, at least for the core ensemble. Numerous times one might find themselves groaning at Renton, Eureka, Holland, Talho, Dominic or Anemone; they're flawed, they don't change much, and what little change happens is deliberately slow. But that's actually something to forgive because they pretty much carry the show, make it interesting, and so on. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the other characters, who at best become something of a Chekhov's Gun. Still, even that has been something that's been overlooked before, so what went wrong from here?

Simply put, it's the way in which our sextets are presented. Because there simply isn't enough of a glimpse as to how they'll behave under normal circumstances, it runs the risk of desensitizing viewers to its conflicts; they pretty much jump straight into such heavy episodes after the first 1/4 of the series when it hasn't even been earned.

Of course, thrusting a work into TNA (Total Non-stop Angsting) wouldn't be bad if Eureka Seven advertised itself as something grimdark. Make no mistake that it features plenty of dark elements--terrorism, genocide, oppression, ect. ect.--but the show itself doesn't feel dark the same way others were. Not exactly scientific, I know, but there you go.

I could spend the rest of this time talking about the technical strengths, but such matters are usually irrelevant to how I evaluate shows. However, Cherry Blossom is an awesome song and you've got bad taste if you don't like it.

But seriously, I'm not exactly convinced of the glowing reception this show gets. A high mark for characters and a low mark for story prompt me to give this a just average score. If you can overlook the unbalanced storytelling you'll find something worth watching. Otherwise, you have been warned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching it after the first episode when the lead whined about how much he hated his life. The whole cast was completely unlikable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20