• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Conventions During the Week

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordyoda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know of any conventions in the US that do not run over the course of Saturday? For religious reasons, it gets really hard, if not impossible, to attend a convention on Friday night/Saturday while still staying within the rules of religious observance. However, I really want to experience what a three-day anime convention is like.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of any that don't run on Saturdays...pretty much any convention runs on at least part of the weekend, like Fri-Sat, Sat-Sun, or just Saturday. Most of the staffers and congoers who are older than teenagers have jobs that they need to work, and it's easier to get away closer to the weekend than during the week.
lordyoda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
I guess it's fine if they run on Saturdays... They just need to leave stuff for the Sunday crowd. From what I hear, most weekend anime conventions do most of their programming Friday into Saturday, and not much happens on Sundays. Granted, this is only what I have heard from others, so I have not experienced this first-hand.

As a side note, I spent last year in Israel, and the conventions there seem to be run to coincide with Jewish festival holidays, so they're usually not Friday/Saturday/Sunday. However, they're generally much smaller than what the U.S. has to offer (and not solely geared towards anime).
echocharlie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
lordyoda wrote:
Does anyone know of any conventions in the US that do not run over the course of Saturday? For religious reasons, it gets really hard, if not impossible, to attend a convention on Friday night/Saturday while still staying within the rules of religious observance. However, I really want to experience what a three-day anime convention is like.

There are some that run for 4-days, Thu-Sun or Fri-Mon, depending on where the holiday falls. You could probably attend 3 out of the 4 days for those types of events. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure Anime Expo and Fanime are 4 day events.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I've never heard of any that don't run on Saturdays...pretty much any convention runs on at least part of the weekend, like Fri-Sat, Sat-Sun, or just Saturday.

There was one convention that was held on Sunday only - Harucon in Elyria, OH. That con was on April 30. However, the organizers of Harucon mentioned in one of their panels that they plan to expand to a traditional three-day convention next year. Hopefully they'll raise the necessary funds to achieve their goal.
appleturbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Try AX this year. While you miss out on Sat/Sun you still have Mon/Tuesday
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, you're in a very small minority here. The only thing you can look for are any conventions that are held over a three-day weekend (saturday-monday). For the rest of the year, AnimeFest (labor day weekend, Dallas) is the only one like that, although next week's Anime Expo, actually runs Saturday-Tuesday, since Independence Day falls on the Tuesday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1