• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Panned by Online Critics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
"Makes children Cry!"

Oh Goro you fool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lots of people have regrets from childhood, but that doesn't mean that you...

spoiler[pull up stakes, ditch your career and marry a farmer. She had that "You're getting old. When are you going to get married?" pressure working on her too. It was pretty stereotypical of the pressures of the working female imo. This female, unfortunately, caved into her traditional role in the end.]

Yeah, Only Yesterday has a conservative message. But this doesn't make it a bad Ghibli movie, I think. Just consider for which audience the movie has been made (adult japanese), the time it has been produced (1991) and the time the story takes place (1966 <---> 1982). Those were simply other times. The eighties saw the rising of independent Office Ladies which was somehow a concern in japanese society. The seventies and early eighties had a boom for furusato, one's homeland in the country. Takahata made a mix out of both ideas. The conservative message behind the movie is less that Taeko should ditch her career and marry a farmer but more in the general preference of furusato life over city life. City life is connected with stress, no real goals in life, egoism and loose family ties, whereas furusato is in the realm of "japanese" nature as oasis, old folkcraft and strong family ties. The "native place" where japanese people implicitly belong and should return again. Taeko has found her place in furusato – even if it's not her real home-town (she never had one) – and lets go of city life with her (egoistic) inner child.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
But then again I hardly listen to critics, if I really want to see a film I am going to. Most of the time I can tell from a trailer if it looks appealing and if I want to see it. So yes I do plan on seeing Gedo Senki sometime in the future when it become available to me in an R1 format.
No doubt, there was that movie Hero (Jet Li) a few years back. It got near perfect critical accliam, but I watched it and the story was a complete mess, as, for the first half of the movie, the story the main character tells isn't even what really happens. More of an exuse for more floaty battles if you ask me.

I'm sure, seeing as the average isn't like 0.5 out of 5, some people might've really liked the movie, but still I can't help but wonder that this may be the first bad Ghibli move...
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
poiznelf wrote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0495596/ - Gedo senki

Ahh I see the reason for the bad reviews.

Directed by
Goro Miyazaki

This movie is NOT directed by Hayao Miyazaki. I seem to remember a news story about how Hayao Miyazaki was against his son directing this movie. I now understand why.

Ahh here is the link: http://www.kaijushakedown.com/2005/12/new_ghibli_proj.html

I think most people on the forum knew it was directed by his son, but for those who didn't there it is ^^.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, I never thought that the Earthsea series was Ghibli material anyway from what I read about the title. It dealt with complicated and tragic issues and didn't seem to have a truly happy Ghibli ending. It's not family material imo. That could be a reason for the uproar, esp. if Goro Miyazaki stayed true to the series.

The thing is, the reviews say he didn't say true to the original novels which is one of the reasons many reviewers are angry. Furthermore, they say that Miyazaki Jr. didn't only deviate horribly from the novels but the result is kind of slapped together with a confusing story (many reviews mentioned that the dialogue was confusing and hard to understand - note that the reviews are written by adults) and without any clear intentions or message. In short, the writing and directing sucks.

An interesting review is written by a parent (a mother, I guess from the style) who took her child to see the movie. She says the movie made children in the theater uncomfortable and events in the end frightened them so much that some children cried. She then asks the question, "what kind of a Ghibli movie is one that makes children cry?" (I'm not trying to pass judgement based on this or anything, I just thought it was an interesting point of view.)

I can see that, but, as you say, it's an interesting point of view. I don't think, for example, PRINCESS MONONOKE is suitable for young children (I also think it's Miyazaki's best film). And as for Ghibli films not making children cry...this is the studio of GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (which Roger Ebert said deserved to be ranked with SCHINDLER'S LIST).

But GRAVE was released eighteen years ago; one wonders how Ghibli has been increasingly "branded" in the years since then. Money, as they say, changes everything. Miyazaki was in the industry for what--fifteen years?--before he got the chance to direct his first feature film. For him, it was a very long struggle.

It's Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata who have made the Ghibli name good, not the other way around. The problem is that they are both the real deal; they really are among the finest living directors in the world, let alone anime. Selling Ghibli on the record of its individual artists is one thing. Selling it as a label, detached from that record, is another matter entirely.
poiznelf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

An interesting review is written by a parent (a mother, I guess from the style) who took her child to see the movie. She says the movie made children in the theater uncomfortable and events in the end frightened them so much that some children cried. She then asks the question, "what kind of a Ghibli movie is one that makes children cry?" (I'm not trying to pass judgement based on this or anything, I just thought it was an interesting point of view.)

Weird... I thought that Studio Ghibli wasn't a name of a film school. I hope this is Goro's first and last Studio Ghibli film until he has proven himself a competent director. (which may or may not happen)

hikaru004 wrote:

Well, I never thought that the Earthsea series was Ghibli material anyway from what I read about the title. It dealt with complicated and tragic issues and didn't seem to have a truly happy Ghibli ending. It's not family material imo. That could be a reason for the uproar, esp. if Goro Miyazaki stayed true to the series. If I remember correctly, people were raving over Howl's Moving Castle, but that title did not stay true to the original source material.

Personally I don't care if it's true to the source material or not. If it's a good movie, it's a good movie. A good director knows what to keep and what to change for the sake of the movie. See Lord Of The Rings, X-Men 1+2, etc.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Zac, I'm watching Only Yesterday right now, and I guess I should admit defeat. I'm in about 3/4 of it, and I find the flashbacks to the main character's childhood much more interesting than her current life on the farm. I'm enjoying the movie very much, but I can't really sympathize with the main character as an adult. Like you said, can understand her character, but I can't relate to her. (Personally, I find camping and doing anything farm-related excruciating. I guess I'm a true blue "city girl".) Aside from all that, I do like the movie. It's charming and cute. The only thing that really bugged me was when her dad spoiler[smacked her so hard a button on her dress flew off. I don't know what they call that in Japan, but that's defiantly child abuse over here.]
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:
mufurc wrote:

I can see that, but, as you say, it's an interesting point of view. I don't think, for example, PRINCESS MONONOKE is suitable for young children (I also think it's Miyazaki's best film). And as for Ghibli films not making children cry...this is the studio of GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (which Roger Ebert said deserved to be ranked with SCHINDLER'S LIST).
But the thing is both Mononoke and Fireflies are both movies for other older/teen audiences. Of coarse they aren't suitable for younger viewers when there's mature themes handled, violence and blood. And while people will cry over Fireflies, that's because it's sad. Those kids cried watching Gedo Senki because they were scared. You can't compare this to Fireflies in terms of "cry factor" (eh... I couldn't think of a better term), because the kids cried for a bad reason. This is just my point of view however.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
The only thing that really bugged me was when her dad spoiler[smacked her so hard a button on her dress flew off. I don't know what they call that in Japan, but that's defiantly child abuse over here.]

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/opp/faq.html#father

By the way, while Ghibli's movies are highly popular, I don't see many ANN users using their characters as avatars. Besides myself I could only find one Pazu, two Totoro, one Kiki, one Conan, and that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/opp/faq.html#father

By the way, while Ghibli's movies are highly popular, I don't see many ANN users using their characters as avatars. Besides myself I could only find one Pazu, two Totoro, one Kiki, one Conan, and that's it.

Ahem
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ahem

Ahahahaha. Silly me. Embarassed Your proletarian kitten was so memorable that I almost forgot you had changed your avatar. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
No doubt, there was that movie Hero (Jet Li) a few years back. It got near perfect critical accliam, but I watched it and the story was a complete mess, as, for the first half of the movie, the story the main character tells isn't even what really happens. More of an exuse for more floaty battles if you ask me.

Nonsense, the story's not a mess. It's just told in a very non-western way. What made Hero interesting was that the parts of it that didn't happen are almost as important as what actually did. It also has, or so I'm told, some passing similarities to Rashomon, a film by Akira Kurosawa.

halochief_90 wrote:
But the thing is both Mononoke and Fireflies are both movies for other older/teen audiences.

Ok, so from what I hear Gedo Senki is a movie for an older audience as well. Big deal. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I didn't think Gedo Senki was necessarily aimed at younger audiences. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I get that they're teenagers and they know everything, but to assume that you can completely sympathize with, recognize and totally "get" the way 30-somethings feel when you're 15 is, to me, nonsense.

Well, I think that might be a tad unfair. I feel pretty much the same way about Only Yesterday now (at 26) than I did when I was 16 (when I first saw it).

Regret and longing for an ideal are fairly common, although you're right that they do tend to be more common with age. But I think there is definitely a certain personality type that would get this film far more than others -- especially if you still have issues with your own childhood. It would almost certainly speak to you, if that were the case.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Pop-Art Samurai wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:

Nonsense, the story's not a mess. It's just told in a very non-western way. What made Hero interesting was that the parts of it that didn't happen are almost as important as what actually did. It also has, or so I'm told, some passing similarities to Rashomon, a film by Akira Kurosawa.

halochief_90 wrote:
But the thing is both Mononoke and Fireflies are both movies for other older/teen audiences.

Ok, so from what I hear Gedo Senki is a movie for an older audience as well. Big deal. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I didn't think Gedo Senki was necessarily aimed at younger audiences. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, we can agree to disagree on Hero. But I wasn't implying anything to Gedo Senki for the older audience thing. I was just saying that because Carl Horn said:
Quote:
I don't think, for example, PRINCESS MONONOKE is suitable for young children
I mean should it be a surprise Mononoke isn't suitable for younger children, given the fact that it has copious amounts of gore, language, severed limbs, and has a plot about a war between human's and nature?
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I must say I feel sorry for Ursula Le Guin, first There was that sci-fi channel (i think) Earthsea mini-series that butchered it horribly (and made everyone white Oo) and now apparently a poorly made and unfaithful animated adaptation rears its head.

I don't really understand how this project came about, I mean, it would seem like a big thing and hiring an unprooven director simply because he is the son of a famous one seems like a bizzare choice. Its not like Miyazaki has stopped making movies and surely there are dozens of directors with a quality portfolio who would kill for a chance at a Ghibli feature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8