• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL (OAV + TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Break

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
Yep it's a strange series but I love it any way I saw it when it first came to adult swim and was hooked on it. I showed it to my friend and he liked it too...but we weren't to sure what had happen. Anyway I'm planning on buying the DVD's as soon as I can.
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Flcl is one of the funniest things that I have ever seen. I really don't think that it is all that weird though, compared to other shows I have seen(bobobobobobo?). ADV is supposed to be releasing a boxset sometime soon.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
ADV is supposed to be releasing a boxset sometime soon.

Actually, it's Synch-Point.
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Really? I thought ADV had the license?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
http://www.synch-point.com/production/flcl/index.html

Synch-Point wrote:
March 2001 - License acquired
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, Ok then. Either way there will be a box set out soon. It is alot better to buy the box set than spend 30+ on 2 episodes per DVD.
Code001

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
Weird is not the word for this anime. I'd say it is more like "Hideous."

I saw this anime a year ago, based on everyone's interpretations it seems as if I had understood everything, and my view is still quite reasonable. This anime is absolutely repulsive. I can never ever see it again. Also, the crazy manipulating girl that swings a guitar around like a bat, does not make me laugh one bit. This anime is not funny one bit. I say you stay away from it. The definition of hideous is exceptionally reasonable for this anime. Maybe perfect?

I used to think the exact same thing, but then I sat down and really watched it. At first, I could never get past the first episode because I thought it was stupid. Hell, it's even in my Top 5 Worst in the sticky (gotta change that). Ever since I finished it, I feel this anime is actually quite good and has more substance than I originally thought. Although, it is fairly weird, I've seen weirder stuff. Just my .02 cents.
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
"...weirdest anime ever"? Try stupidest (I know that's not a word) anime ever. I hate FLCL. It sucks...horribly. It's so random (which isn't necessarily bad), illogical, and flat-out retarded. It makes no sense whatsoever. It's total crap. I don't understand how people can find the show funny...or even entertaining. I mean, shows like The Wiggles, Teletubbies, and Barney, and Sesame Street are more entertaining than FLCL. That's how bad it is.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's so random (which isn't necessarily bad), illogical, and flat-out retarded. It makes no sense whatsoever.

It does make sense; you just have to look at everything with a very perverted eye. After watching the show straight through four times and still not being able to understand it, I tried looking up episode summaries on fan sites to see if other people could make sense of this mess. Lo and behold, I discovered this show is chock FULL of sexual references that went right over my head. The whole show is basically one big metaphor for sex. If you search around the net for a while, you should be able to find a good guide. In fact, I'll help get you started.

The Holy Trinity of Phallic Symbols in FLCL:
1. Guns
2. Guitars
3. Baseball bats.

Watch the show again, and whenever these objects appear just think to yourself, "This is a penis". I guarantee the pieces of the puzzle will start putting themselves together after you've figured out The Holy Trinity.
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Hm, thanks, Wolverine Princess. Ok, if they air it on Adult Swim again, any time soon, I guess I'll try to watch it. Maybe, it will be funny, once I catch all the perverted jokes and make sense of everything that's going on. LOL! Wink
b214

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
If you look past all the jokes, there is a nice story in there. Once you watch the series a few times, you should understand it better.
free2slap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I had my eyes set upon this anime since a while ago but never felt the need to watch it. However since hearing how weird this anime is, i'll probably get to it next week. Anything weird like paranoia agent i definetely need to check them out.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:52 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I thought this was a wierd anime for a long time, until I got into the REALLY wierd ones. Check out Cat Soup, then try and call this the "wierdest ever", I dare you.

I'd have to agree with this... FLCL is fairly weird, but Cat Soup treads into that realm of experimental anime where you almost need to be high/stoned/whatever to get the most out of it. At least that was my take on it. FLCL did have some wtf moments for me, but I found that it made sense within its own realm of logic. In fact, after seeing the first episode of Pani Poni Dash! on Friday, I'd say that PPD is much more random in the events it brings in.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The series sure leaves lots of quenstions unasnwred, but there's a small character almost no one remembers... And it's become my very fave anime animal... Ta-kun the black kitten
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Break

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
If your having trouble understanding it just look on wiki it cleared some things up for me I proably never would have gotten. Despite its randomness it has some psychological elements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4