• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero Cast, Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
1) "liking women's bodies" isn't the same thing as "liking women"

I didn't say it was. But that's not the issue. Misogyny before the feminist movement, meant hatred of women--personality, bodies, everything. It was rarely used because there were few people who actually hated women the same way misandry was rarely used because, again, people rarely actually hated all of the male gender.

By showing that creator and fans through sexual objectification, are still attracted to women, even in certain ways that offend people, that alone disproves misogyny.

Quote:
2) words "really mean" what the speaker and the listener mutually understand them to mean

Then words cease to having any meaning. Since you need words to negotiate mutual understanding in the first place.

Quote:
3) in classical times, the word "misogyny" meant what it does now, not that thing about gay men, where did you even get that

No it does not. Per Greek etymology: mis + gyn. For good part of history meant the literal hatred of women. You know, the exact same logic used for: mis + andry = hatred of the men; and mis + anthro = hatred of mankind. As in genocidal, aversion, revulsion, no desire for attraction.

Japan's same word for classical Greek meaning is onna-girai
Quote:
Men who were purely homosexual might be called "woman-haters" (onna-girai); this term, however, carried the connotation of aggressive distaste of women in all social contexts, rather than simply a preference for male sexual partners.[26]

Quote:
a text that uses the humiliation and subjugation of women for titillation could certainly be called misogynistic

If it was for titillation, then it cannot be. Would you call all men who enjoy S&M misogynists? If yes, what about the enjoyment of such fetish where the roles were reversed, with women enjoying particularly enjoying Sadist role, would you call it misandry? Likewise for fujoshi who enjoy rapey seme+uke roles.

But see, the question comes back to: if women get turned on by it, how can they be misandrists? Since mis + andry = hatred, aversion, revulsion of men, how can the same misandrist women desire men at the same time? It is oxymoronic.

So the same logic applies to mis + gyn. It is oxymoronic to use it in the same way most people like to use it today, like feminists calling pickup-artists "misogynist". Makes no damn sense.

Anyways, I know I'm not going to win the war on language distortion, but my point is, rather than up the ante where some movement distorts words to try to impose some cultural taboo (and not keep it logically consistent for that matter with other similarly derived words), why not just existing words that perfectly adequate? Just say you find the objectification offensive, whatever. Heck, even Funi's trailer used ANN's review of "disturbing" as compliment. But to say it's misogynist? Not so, unless you want language to be completely useless.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Any character is an object until the gaps of who they are get filled in and our brains begin to register them with familiarity. Objectification is harmless in moderation, though pieces like this shouldn't go uncriticized since a lack of critical thought leaves us susceptible to suggestion. Always an interesting subject to open up; Studio ARMS has certainly earned a healthy amount of criticism, spawning fare like 'Master Of Martial Hearts'.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Then words cease to having any meaning. Since you need words to negotiate mutual understanding in the first place.

no, they cease to have any meaning when people no longer say or understand them. you understand the the way "misogyny" is commonly used, so you know perfectly well what people are saying. you're just being pedantic because you don't want to engage the actual substance of the criticism, and the worst part is you're not even right.

what did the word "blog" mean in 1990? or "google?" what do they mean now? what happened in the interim? where do words come from? does the Merriam Webster Corp. find them inscribed on magical stone dictionary pages in dungeons scattered across the world? can we put "epic" in cold storage for a while?

configspace wrote:
No it does not. Per Greek etymology: mis + gyn. For good part of history meant the literal hatred of women. You know, the exact same logic used for: mis + andry = hatred of the men; and mis + anthro = hatred of mankind. As in genocidal, aversion, revulsion, no desire for attraction.

per ancient Greek people, who spoke and wrote ancient Greek daily instead of cobbling together ad-hoc meanings for contemporary words based on a high school English-level understanding of dead languages, it was commonly used in classical criticisms of poets and philosophers, regarding the views toward women in their work (and no, they were not genocidal, nor gay)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny#Classical_Greece

configspace wrote:
some crap about a japanese word

so what

configspace wrote:
bleurgh blug what about kink

healthy dom/sub relationships are still based on knowing consent that can be freely withdrawn.

the protagonist of this show sexually assaults at least one woman per episode, except (if i recall) in the episode where a motorcycle does it for him. he forces three girls to pee in front of him. he spoiler[paralyzes a little girl, drags her into a karaoke booth and pretends he's going to rape her.] everybody in the show adores him for doing these things. there's a bouncy little musical theme that plays whenever he goes into molesto-mode. yes, i did have to watch the whole thing, don't ask.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
the protagonist of this show sexually assaults at least one woman per episode, except (if i recall) in the episode where a motorcycle does it for him.

This line was just so ridiculous (and apparently true) that I couldn't help but laugh.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
configspace wrote:

no, they cease to have any meaning when people no longer say or understand them. you understand the the way "misogyny" is commonly used, so you know perfectly well what people are saying. you're just being pedantic because you don't want to engage the actual substance of the criticism, and the worst part is you're not even right.

what did the word "blog" mean in 1990? or "google?" what do they mean now? what happened in the interim? where do words come from? does the Merriam Webster Corp. find them inscribed on magical stone dictionary pages in dungeons scattered across the world? can we put "epic" in cold storage for a while?

configspace wrote:

per ancient Greek people, who spoke and wrote ancient Greek daily instead of cobbling together ad-hoc meanings for contemporary words based on a high school English-level understanding of dead languages, it was commonly used in classical criticisms of poets and philosophers, regarding the views toward women in their work (and no, they were not genocidal, nor gay)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny#Classical_Greece

configspace wrote:
some crap about a japanese word

so what

configspace wrote:
bleurgh blug what about kink

healthy dom/sub relationships are still based on knowing consent that can be freely withdrawn.

the protagonist of this show sexually assaults at least one woman per episode, except (if i recall) in the episode where a motorcycle does it for him. he forces three girls to pee in front of him. he spoiler[paralyzes a little girl, drags her into a karaoke booth and pretends he's going to rape her.] everybody in the show adores him for doing these things. there's a bouncy little musical theme that plays whenever he goes into molesto-mode. yes, i did have to watch the whole thing, don't ask.

Okay and so what? A female character assaults other females also in practically any episodes she is. If a guy assaulting women is misogynistic, what does that make a women assaulting women.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
so seeing cast list

vale as akatsuki well this is going to hmm to hear give recall seeing that anime indeed oh yea this is good to watch.

felecia as miu give indeed now well known anime role indeed top rookies voice batch of this year.

give also have

rial as small girl
reynolds as les-girl
lexi as vice pres
jewell as ice pres
joel as kaidou

yet give only wait til holiday season for it.
Khooni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
funimation you're awesome!! 6 hardcore ecchi titles dubbed this year! *tears of joy*
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
felecia as miu give indeed now well known anime role indeed top rookies voice batch of this year.

I'm not sure about her as I'm watching (suffering) through Sankarea right now and I'm not exactly enthralled by her performance. Though that could be that she can't hold a candle to the classic performance of Kira Vincent-Davis in a similar role (Ruri, Nadesico).
Quote:

reynolds as les-girl
lexi as vice pres
jewell as ice pres

Well, Jewel sounds appropriately cast. Reynolds (if for no reason but her androgynous name) sounds right. Hopefully Tipton will live up to the high standard she set in Haganai. I'm still concerned about Clinkenbeard & Doti though.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Hopefully Tipton will live up to the high standard she set in Haganai. I'm still concerned about Clinkenbeard & Doti though.

that's not a really good comparison as Haruka's role in the show is to be repeatedly spoiler[stripped and humiliated] by Akatsuki. She's nowhere near as interesting as Rika, so don't go into this expecting some sort of bar setting performance.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
besides give if seen this series all we know on it that Akatsuki is total BOSS to watch.

really from spoiler[having power to make female wet themselves, standing on top the ceiling, 7 wrist bands for his big sword, etc]

indeed he was like total BOSS to watch.

yet wonder on felecia give hear her in both DxD & we without wings give she got potential to be fresh voice in anime dubs.

& lexi as vice pres give if seen this series being ha ha by akatsuki & being bit a tsun.

overall wait til dec to see this then you unleash your reaction saying on it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I really wouldn't classify making three girls spoiler[wet themselves] as being a BOSS
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I really wouldn't classify making three girls spoiler[wet themselves] as being a BOSS
But at least they're not competing to make lunchboxes for an unworthy bland milquetoast Everyman wimpy male lead!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2