• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Theater List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Everywhere in Tennesee, but nowhere in Connecticut. =/

5 showings in Tenn. and 1 in Ca. that doesn't seem right. I'd be willing to bet there's a much bigger anime audience in Ca. I wish they would have a showing in San Francisco, 450 miles to L.A. is too long of a drive for me.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
And not even a single theatre in Florida. Crying or Very sad
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This is just so cool! Not only will the FMA movie be playing in my city (I live in Chattanooga, TN), but it'll be playing in a theater that's only about ten minutes away from me! I'm really tempted to go see it now that it's playing so close to me but I'm still unsure about watching it dubbed first because FMA doesn't exactly have one of my favorite dubs....Plus, it's only being played for that one weekend which is kind of sad and the DVD is only a month away, but it's a rare chance to see the movie sequel to my favorite anime series of all time in theaters, so it's really tempting! In any case, it's really cool that they're actually playing an anime movie in theaters here that isn't Pokemon for a change. Now I have to decide to see it dubbed in theaters or wait until later and buy the DVD to watch it subbed whenever I want....which should I do?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
daggerbob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
It is quite the shame that they decided to drop theaters at the last instance instead of adding to the list. Colorado Springs, CO was on the initial listing for theaters and now they dropped us from their recent listings. No way in he@# I am going all the way up to Fort Collins, CO to watch the movie. It would be about a 300 mile round trip. I would rather watch a fan sub, purchase the DVD, or wait for it to come on Adult Swim. Many of us anime fans in southern Colorado and near-by states were raring for a showing near to our fan base. Now we are relegated to watching the movie at home on DVD or traveling a distance for a theater experience.
I have a friend that has already flamed FUNimation and the local theater that was to show the movie. I will be doing the same. Maybe if more people emailed FUNimation and their local theaters then there will be a greater chance in landing one of the screenings that is put on.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised that there isn't anything near me(I'm far enough north that San Francisco wouldn't be feasible for me). LA, and that town in Oregon are a bit too far for me.

Oh well...I'll just wait on the DVD, then. Smile
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
daggerbob wrote:
It is quite the shame that they decided to drop theaters at the last instance instead of adding to the list. Colorado Springs, CO was on the initial listing for theaters and now they dropped us from their recent listings. No way in he@# I am going all the way up to Fort Collins, CO to watch the movie. It would be about a 300 mile round trip. I would rather watch a fan sub, purchase the DVD, or wait for it to come on Adult Swim. Many of us anime fans in southern Colorado and near-by states were raring for a showing near to our fan base. Now we are relegated to watching the movie at home on DVD or traveling a distance for a theater experience.
I have a friend that has already flamed FUNimation and the local theater that was to show the movie. I will be doing the same. Maybe if more people emailed FUNimation and their local theaters then there will be a greater chance in landing one of the screenings that is put on.

I would blame the theater, not Funimation. I don't think they would've pulled the movie from the theater like that--it was obviously the theater deciding they didn't want to do it anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
goddess_of_anime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
*groan* not a single theatre in Arizona. that's not fair. it would be fair if they put FMA movie in all of the states, each theatre. i thought it would be awesome to see an anime movie in theatres again. it's been a long time. (excluding the Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie, which i only have the DVD) but i do have enough money for the DVD which i can get easily at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. hmm. not a bad early birthday for present for me.
LuzAzul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, there's one about 5 minutes away from me!! I'm so excited! Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry to everybody who won't be able to go Crying or Very sad
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
And not even a single theatre in Florida. Crying or Very sad

Yeah that is really odd.....Florida and Illinois excluded, that really sucks. I mean how can there not be one showing for states such as these. And yet every little state in the middle of the country has a million screening.....makes ya wonder....
sokpupet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
to the people saying they won't see it because it's the dub: you call yourself an anime fan? you have a chance to really support something and get more anime in theaters, and because it's not exactly how you want it to be you'd rather not go?

yeah somebody else is going to buy your ticket, but maybe not. you have chance to support something. so do it.
Stormrider
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote
Nice. I have two theatres to choose from. Goodlettsville or Murfreesboro... both a 20-30 minute drive.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Gee, the nearest theater playing it around here is damn near 4 hours away. I could go... or I can just wait 3 weeks till it comes on DVD.. or I can finally get around to watching it on my harddrive. What to do....
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
to the people saying they won't see it because it's the dub: you call yourself an anime fan? you have a chance to really support something and get more anime in theaters, and because it's not exactly how you want it to be you'd rather not go?

yeah somebody else is going to buy your ticket, but maybe not. you have chance to support something. so do it.

Hear hear! Seriously, if every anime fan in the country doesn't go out and support a theatrically-released anime fan in their neck of the woods, they have no right to complain that no anime movies get theatrical releases in the States. Anime fandom in theatres is going to have to develop the same way it did on video, by appealing first to the widest demographic possible with an English dub. Then, once there's a sizeable-enough fanbase, they may begin releasing subtitled anime theatrically.

It's the same deal with kung-fu movies. All of Jackie Chan's older movies were released in the US with dubs, and they showed that there was enough of a fanbase that "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" could be released theatrically in BOTH sub and dub formats and be a success.

It's all about baby steps. If you want anime in North American theatres, you have to support it, regardless of whether it's dub or sub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:

Yes, I do call myself an anime fan. Just because I prefer to watch anime in a version different from you doesn't mean I'm not an anime fan. And I'm real sure that buying one ticket for the FMA movie being played in theaters in my city for two whole days is really going to be a huge support for anime in theaters (sarcasm). Now if this movie was being played for more than two days and more like several months like most movies in theaters are when I would have more chances to go see it, then I might consider going to see it, but me not buying a ticket for the two whole days that it's playing here on a weekend I might not even be able to go see it on because the date is still too far away to plan ahead for this kind of thing, and instead waiting one freaking month away to support the DVD release isn't going to drastically change the popularity of anime movies in theaters in only two days nor does it make me any less of an anime fan than you just because I might decide to wait for the DVD instead of going to see it in theaters, not to mention I rarely go to the theaters anyway. What about people who prefer to watch movies in general on DVD instead of going to the theaters? Does that make them any less of an anime fan than you because they might not like going to the theaters?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I'm reminded of the Left Behind movie. When it first came out in my city (a small, western texas town) it was only released for two days in one theater. However, it sold out so quickly, that they were forced to give it more showings--in fact, I think the movie ran for over a month.

So, it really DOES make a difference if you go to see it, if you can. It could actually allow the movie to stay longer than just this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4