• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Bunny Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
What is interesting to me about the manga isn't any perceived taboo breaking as Zac suggests, but, rather, its metafictional challenge: that the question posed to us reflects the questions posed to the characters in the story. I like fiction where the form reflects the narrative. That is intriguing.

So basically you are arguing that this entire manga is a sort of test to see if we can accept Rin's choice, whether we support freedom or repression of women, because being feminist means supporting whatever choices women make. And if we, like you, aren't squicked out by the the thought of a child marrying her father, then we have "passed," but if we argue that this is a terrible idea, then we "fail."

And then you go on to demand evidence from the manga... which proves to me that you don't understand our problem here.

Our problem is that this manga, yes, has gone out of its way to make Rin and Daikichi's relationship as "okay" as it can. So the answer to the test is that, yes, if

- the child never develops feelings for their parent

- the child never socializes far beyond the circle of their parent

- the child actively avoids dating anyone other than their parent

- the child has no real goals or ambitions beyond marrying their parent

- the parent is able to easily and without qualm switch their parental feelings into sexual ones the moment the child expresses interest

- the entirety of society is somehow completely okay with this turn in their relationship

- or in other words if no one acts like a real human being

then SURE a child can marry their parent!

It's the set-up that's as creepy and disturbing as the actual relationship. In order to make this "okay," Unita takes what felt like a relatively realistic tale of a father adapting to single parenthood in a society with a lot of stigma against that, and then turns it into a twisted, unrealistic fantasy for people with father-figure fetishes.

You can say "oh, but Rin was making CHOICES" but she wasn't - she's a character, not a human being. UNITA was making the choices, and its her choices that we have a problem with.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan was much better and had a better ending.

Well, it had a fitting ending, while, from the sound of things, Bunny Drop didn't. I haven't read the Bunny Drop manga, but I thought the anime was better than Kodomo no Jikan in either incarnation, though, especially the anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
GWOtaku wrote:
It's not my problem if you think adoptive parents are too unrealistic.

No, i said Daikichi was too unrealistic for someone who quite literally became a parent from one minute to the next, but whatever...
I did that the minute my first born popped out of his packaging. I even cut the cord which I we still have clip and all. Laughing
streexanime

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
I am tempted to get rid of the other volumes. I found the first four to be charming and got incredibly bored with the high school melodrama in volumes 5 and after. I heard about the ending before I even go to that point in the manga and I stopped collecting.

vashfanatic wrote:
errinundra wrote:
At the end Rin makes a choice that most of us wouldn't approve of, however it is her choice - a legal one and a legitimate one. The challenge that Yumi Umita is throwing out to us is a choice of our own: are we going to support women having more choice? or are we going to reinforce social norms that constrain us? From what I read here and in other threads, most people clearly fall into the second camp. Freedom to choose doesn't mean the freedom to make choices we like only.

And I'm going to say this like I do every time you bring up this ridiculous argument, but "women making choices = feminist" is the lamest excuse ever. It's the same one Stephanie Meyer made to justify writing a book where she portrays a teenage girl engaging in reckless and suicidal behavior after her boyfriend dumps her as romantic.

Rin is choosing to marry a man in an unreasonable position of power over her and take up a life of domesticity with him when she's only sixteen. There's a reason that we don't "like" that choice - because it's a horrible one. It's not feminist, it's not empowering, because making choices is not the same thing as empowerment.

Feminism is about respecting the choices that women make on their own accord even if they clash with your personal set of beliefs. If a woman wants to raise kids and have a full time job, OK go for it. If a woman wants to be a stay at home mom, OK go for it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Some fans of moe manga claim that it's not really about sexual attraction to super-young girls; rather, it's about the desire to be a parent.

Whoa. I've got a news flash: being a parent is not about wanting to put your dick in your daughter. People have a bizarro sense of parenting and I kinda worry what happened to them as children if they think that.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:
Some fans of moe manga claim that it's not really about sexual attraction to super-young girls; rather, it's about the desire to be a parent.

Whoa. I've got a news flash: being a parent is not about wanting to put your dick in your daughter.

Did somebody say that it is?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:

Whoa. I've got a news flash: being a parent is not about wanting to put your dick in your daughter.

Did somebody say that it is?

Woody Allen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've never read or seen Bunny Drop. I hope to watch the anime one day if it gets dubbed, but so far, I have not had any experience with this story. Of course, this being the internet, I had the entire ending of the manga spoiled for me. And yes, I do think it's gross and squicky and morally repulsive. But there's someone on here who doesn't think that!

Errinundra, you seem to think that the relationship between the main character and his surrogate daughter is not gross. It's okay! She's sixteen and totally mature! Besides, it's all in the name of feminism! It's her choice, and we have no right to be disgusted by the spiritually incestuous Electra Complex going on! Right?

See, your argument falls apart because you're using the logical fallacy that women making choices is inherently feminist.

Look, it's not just about making choices. It's about making good, smart, logical, and MORALLY RIGHT decisions. You're assuming that the daughter's choice is feminist because of that fact that it's a choice at all. So by your logic, if this one random girl, say, decided to throw her life away because ONE GUY didn't like her THAT way, that's feminist. NO. That's a terrible decision! It doesn't matter if you're a man, woman, transgender, whatever! BAD DECISIONS ARE BAD DECISIONS. AND THIS IS A VERY BAD DECISION THAT THE AUTHOR CHOSE TO MAKE AND SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE.

Funnily enough, this whole fiasco reminds me of another (imaginary) couple from one of my favorite manga of all time. I'm of course talking about Black Jack and Pinoko from Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack. Pinoko is chronologically eighteen, but her physical body is one year old and looks five, and her emotional maturity is around six or seven. She's famous for her crush on the eponymous Dr. Black Jack, who nonetheless thinks of her as a daughter. They don't get together at the end. And by all real world logic, they shouldn't. I personally do not like the Black Jack/Pinoko ship because, to me, it could never ever happen. Black Jack thinks of Pinoko as a daughter and nothing else. It doesn't matter that they're not related by blood. It's spiritual incest from Black Jack's perspective, and that's what matters.

Oh, I heard they tried that in the Bunny Drop manga. That's cheating. A whole LOT of incest-fetish anime pull the Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card to justify their shenanigans. "See, they're not REALLY brother and sister! So it's okay for them to f**k each other!" It apparently p***ed of 90% of the Sword Art Online fanbase when they played that card during Fairy Dance (among other things), and it p***ed of fans of Bunny Drop at the end.

It doesn't matter how much any anime sugarcoats an (spiritual or not) incestuous relationship. It's still incest. It's still gross. And it's still impossible 90% of the time.-
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
streexanime wrote:
Feminism is about respecting the choices that women make on their own accord even if they clash with your personal set of beliefs. If a woman wants to raise kids and have a full time job, OK go for it. If a woman wants to be a stay at home mom, OK go for it.

No, it's not. Feminism is about breaking down the patriarchal structures in society that limit and inhibit women's (and sometimes men's) ability to make choices that benefit and empower themselves.

If a woman freely chooses to be a stay at home mom because that's what she wants, more power to her. But if a woman chooses to be a stay at home mom because she can't afford childcare, because her husband or family pressures her, because she's facing a pay-cut for being a mother, or any of the other sexist reasons that can influence her choice, then that's not feminism. Working to eliminate the sexist reasons so she can make the choice more freely is feminism.

We don't have to respect every choice women make. If a woman chooses to stay with an abusive husband, we are allowed to say that is a horrible choice. If a sixteen-year old girl who has never dated anyway else decides her only goal in life is to marry her 40-year old father, we are allowed to say that is a horrible choice. The only reason the manga makes this not a horrible choice is by rigging the game in unrealistic and unnatural ways, as mentioned above.

And while we're talking about patriarchy and I'm repeating myself anyway (I've made every single one of these points in previous arguments with Errinundra), can I reiterate that assuming parent-child and husband-wife relationships are interchangeable is the epitome of patriarchal societies? You belong to your father until you're married, then you belong to your husband. They both are your protector and provider. By making Daikichi be as equally comfortable as her father and her husband, Unita is sending some seriously disturbing signals about what she thinks a healthy marriage looks like.
insert name here

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
insert name here wrote:
Say what you will about the ending, but at least it gets a reaction out of people. I'd rather a work of art be infuriating than boring.

All controversies/risk-takings/twists are not created equal, much less meted out or executed equally or competently. Simply doing something that will get people talking doesn't make that action or work automatically great or successful. Doing something just for that alone smacks of lazy storytelling/artistry more often than not. Personally, I'd rather a work of art be good and work before it is simply just infuriating or boring.

Fair enough. God knows how much I've complained about the professional provocateering of guys like Lars Von Trier and Michael Haneke. What's interesting to me about Usagi Drop's ending, and what distinguishes it from the former examples, is that it really seems to hit a nerve, and from what I can tell it wasn't something that was done deliberately. I don't think that it was some kind of psuedo-avant-garde gesture, but its such a weird ending. Anyway, that's my two cents.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Just makes me wonder how everybody here would react to the ending if Rin was a boy. If Unita wanted to be really shocking, she would have gone that route. Twisted Evil
nottimkai

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While some moe is almost purely parental/familial (Yotsuba&! for one, probably), and others blur the line between lust and family feelings (like Oreimo), Bunny Drop changes from one to the other like a switch was flipped, going from a manga that appeals to single parents (and women who are attracted to single dads) to a manga that appeals to pedophiles (and women who are attracted to father figures).

... this is such a minor nit to pick about an otherwise good article, but by the time the taboo romance comes around it is no longer pedophilia, but ephebophilia.

It makes a difference. Not much of one, granted, but the correct terms should be used when discussing something. Pedophilia would imply that Daikichi was looking after Rin for entirely unsavory purposes, or it would imply that Lolicons were supposed to be beating it wildly to the first 4 volumes of the story. Neither of those things is true.

I absolutely understand your critiques, but saying that the only reason you could enjoy the second half of Bunny Drop is for prurient reasons is unfair. I never got that vibe from the manga. I remember thinking "Huh. Taking a Genji route now, are we?", which you addressed in the column.

Hell, you even mentioned the fact that Daikichi doesn't have a sex drive earlier. The 'relationship' that is developed never seemed like it had a sexual component. I am uncultured and ignorant, though. Maybe that's why the second half of the story didn't bother me the way it REALLY bothered a lot of people. It also wasn't as good as the first half. I used to work in human services, and this relationship seemed so unrealistic that it was obviously entirely fantastical. Maybe that's what it was - it was easy to divorce the squick reaction because the story was so obviously not real.

I suppose if one were looking to read this, they should go with the first 4 volumes unless they are a completionist.

Good article! I look forward to the next!
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
No, it's not. Feminism is about breaking down the patriarchal structures in society that limit and inhibit women's (and sometimes men's) ability to make choices that benefit and empower themselves.

That's your definition of feminism. It's not the only one, nor is it the 'correct' one. There is no correct one. Feminism has splintered into as many groups as the protestant churches, and none is morally superior, despite what the adherents of each may think.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

That's your definition of feminism. It's not the only one, nor is it the 'correct' one. There is no correct one. Feminism has splintered into as many groups as the protestant churches, and none is morally superior, despite what the adherents of each may think.

Wait, wait wait...

I think both of you are wrong. Let me explain why. Feminism isn't just about making choices- whether they be right or not. Feminism isn't just about smashing the patriarchal barriers. To me, feminism is simply proving that women and men are on equal grounds, and that neither sex is inherently better than the other. If it is about women being better than men, that can veer into sexism against men and misandry. Let's all agree that men and women CAN and SHOULD have equal rights and be on equal standing. Who's with me? Smile
FoxgloveLove

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Well crap....

I watched the anime, and loved it so much (really, I thought it was a wonderful show) that I decided to get the manga. I hadn't gotten to the time skip yet, but I could tell from the covers that it was going to fast forward into the future.

Still, not expecting too much of an alteration in the theme of the series, I saw this article and decided to go ahead and read it...

*sigh*

Well, I will say this, the anime version certainly did the right thing, and I could've stayed wonderfully ignorant to this if I didn't enjoy it so much that I like to start buying the series afterward (irony, right?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8