• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sends out Cease & Desist Letters For Multiple Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
Don't bother trying to talk with Dumb Ass Anime Fans. They would lie down and die for FUNi.
Companies care little to nothing about current fans of a series, what they are going after billy bob and sarah jones down the street from you that have never heard of the series.

In addition to this being not true, what does this have to do with anything?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't be the first time FUNi had a license only to sit on it and never admit it had it, e.g. Tenchi Muyo OVA 3. Wink
indrik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't disagree with Tempest that fansubbing is illegal in the first place and the companies have more resources in their arsenal. However, no one's been able (to my knowledge) to come up with proof that X downloads of Y episodes of Series **** leads to Z dollars in lost profits. And though I'm no legal expert, I would think that that kind of evidence would be necessary to set an amount of punitive damages.

That's pretty much what I said, I think. But if they just want to shut people down, they just have to prove that they own the copyright, and that someone else is violating that copyright. At that point, the violator (Is that a word? I think I just made something up...) is on the hook for legal fees, punitive damages or no. Or were you agreeing with me by restating my point?

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
A nice package of flowers, with one rose head cut, with a note "Stop Fansubs." Should get the point across.

A katana in a box with a little note that says, "cut it out..."

lol.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BeyonderZ wrote:
Don't bother trying to talk with Dumb Ass Anime Fans. They would lie down and die for FUNi.
Companies care little to nothing about current fans of a series, what they are going after billy bob and sarah jones down the street from you that have never heard of the series.

i don't know if it's completely true, but i'm sure they want more of an audience beyond your average Otakus.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BeyonderZ wrote:
I'm not sure how not true it is, considering that we're always told, "The vast majority of DVD buyers are casual anime fans who like dubs, not the kind of hardcore purist otaku who post on these forums."
indrik wrote:
Or were you agreeing with me by restating my point?
Yes, I was. And yes, "Violator" is a word, unless 3,000,000+ search results also bring up made-up words Wink
mjgeo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
indrik wrote:
Or were you agreeing with me by restating my point?
Yes, I was. And yes, "Violator" is a word, unless 3,000,000+ search results also bring up made-up words Wink

Well, suicider gets > 1,000,000 results and it's one of Bush's favourite made up words. Laughing

However, voilator is an actual word for reasons other than search results.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:45 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
At that point, the violator (Is that a word? I think I just made something up...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violator_%28comics%29

indrik wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
A nice package of flowers, with one rose head cut, with a note "Stop Fansubs." Should get the point across.

A katana in a box with a little note that says, "cut it out..."

lol.

YOU DARE INSULT ONE OF MIYAZAKI'S GREATEST TRIUMPHS?!?!?! I shall cut down a worthless object.
cardcaptor_yue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:10 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
cardcaptor_yue wrote:
on their anime club websites they actually mention fansubsas a way to go

Source? I've checked www.operationanime.com and see nothing of the sort.
Quote:
they shouldn't have to step in unitl they have such authority to do so.

If you know for sure that they don't then you have inside sources no-one else does.
Quote:
FANSUBS ATTRACT attention to the works and spark interests, Full Metal Alchemist would not have gone this far I feel if it wasn't for fansubbers getting people interested first

AGAIN, SOURCE? I've yet to see conclusive proof either way.

Okay sorry on the operation anime I got that one confused with ADV's which does give nod to fansubbers. But on the same note ADV owes alot to fan subbing Devil Hunter Yohko was a FANSUB one of the first CHEAP anime alternatives in the US look that one up. I assure you Funimation would not be around if not for ADV which started uncensered anime here in the states. On the Full Metal Alchemist, word gets around with Fansubs, Afterall speaking from personal experience, I would have never gotten into those series with out fan subs and know alot of friends who were the same. Also again if Funimation has reason to send these cease and Desists they should at least gives the reasons, its like telling you to cut something out without explanation. I can see if a series is released then they can say something such as oh.......... Negima subs posted on youtube, or for Geneon Chobits on Youtube, those are your problems. Look I'm not some idiot juist blaring on stupidly, personally I'm all for fans of fansubs to buy the series as they become licsenced, it supports the Anime industry here in the united states. The legality of fansubbing has been debated for along time and really fansubs will never die in my opinion. My last note is if you saw the first episode of something fansubbed and really liked it, do you think your more likely to shell out the $25 to buy it, which is also why funimation channel and Anime network are great tools.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
I had always thought that when it came to fansubs, that the originating Japanese studios generally don't come into conflict with online fansubbers because they tend to honor the rights of the originating studios and that the JS's usually appreciate the additional attention to their varying anime shows. This isn't to say that it's legal, just that they appreciate the support and the interest that some groups have for their shows and that once it becomes licensed that most FS groups generally stop producing that title and remove it from their site as a download.

Some anime studios in Japan do take things to the extreme as they see fansubbers as a definite evil and try to prvent their titles from ever being distributed but I've always thought that the Japanese studios don't much care as long as it's not being distributed in their own company through internet sites.

But, I really have to disagree on the fact that American distributors such as FUNI, ADV and so forth have deep pockets. They don't. These companies generally don't make a profit from anime and most of the time barely break even ... I belileve Matt Greenburg (I th ink that's his name) from A.D. Vision said something to that effect in an online artyicle that was published on another website. ANN's editors might remember that one since they did report on it.

I operate a website and while the only most of the community on my site do download anime torrents, I would say that a fairly large percentage of my community only downloads those anime shows that are currently not available or haven't been licensed just yet.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I had always thought that when it came to fansubs, that the originating Japanese studios generally don't come into conflict with online fansubbers because they tend to honor the rights of the originating studios and that the JS's usually appreciate the additional attention to their varying anime shows.

See news article Media Factory makes request to stop fansubbing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
That's only one instance. Dozens of other companies have done nothing. In addition, Media Factory is a distributor not a studio. They were the R2 equivalent of ADV, Funi, etc. That was reaction to an OVA being fansubbed before the DVD was ever released in Japan. Rather than just ask that title not be fansubbed (which would be kind of silly, if you think about it), they asked that none of their titles be fansubbed, including titles like School Rumble and Gankutsuou.

Obviously, their threat didn't mean much as all of School Rumble has been subbed (the C&D came before the second season ever aired) and one group that recieved a C&D for [b]Gankutsuou just ignored it, and Media Factory hasn't done anything else. I'm sure there are other series that they had the rights to that have been fansubbed as well.
Malkoziane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
As others have said i am all for ADV, Geneon, Bandai, Etc. Protecting there assets but I am agaist what Funi is doing. Even if they do have the license its a Bad buissnes move to annouce it through a C&D. Also if they do have a license for those anime's I think they are bitting off more then they can chew by takeing on 6 things like that when they are still working on other animes. I don't know about everone else but I am not a big fan Of Funimation......In my Veiw they tend to suck and/or not do a very good job at dubbing. They are also one of the slowest compoanies at release any infromation about an anime or just releaseing them period. The best example would have to be Negima and Tsubasa Chronicle. I belive they both got licensed around the same time +/- a few weeks but Negima has just been release to DVD and we still don't know jack about Tusbasa.
genman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
Hey, if it were my company, I'd probably send the f'ing FBI to kick down their doors and seize their equipment. At the very least, Funimation isn't doing that and going after fans for downloading the show.

The fansub community these days is just about getting the latest Anime from Japan, just like the 0-day Warez community was about getting the latest software released. Talk about little respect for the creators and the anime business. These people aren't paid like movie stars.

If you wouldn't say "I watched your show for free" to the people of Artland, including president Mr. Ishiguro and director Mr. Nagahama, you should not have downloaded that show. Artland took a big risk by creating this show; they haven't released their own titles since the 80's.

I've bought all the Mushishi disks released in Japan so far. I don't think Funimation would have a problem with people buying their own disks and subtitling themselves with scripts. Somehow I doubt, though, people would want to spend 5,000 yen for 2 episodes. Which is basically why fans want to download it for free.
genman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
Bad business decision? I really doubt fans are going to boycott or protest Funimation. But there's a lot of unhappy freeloaders I would imagine. I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't want to be told what they do is stealing, since they don't want to feel ashamed. Funimation doesn't have to protect people's feelings. It's called "self-indulgence" and a lot of people (fat, lazy, addicted) don't want to hear the truth.

And as for not releasing titles right away? Buy the title from Japan. Or feel free to start your own anime company, as obviously, you know better how to run a business than they do.

This also isn't 1992 anymore, so the argument that the anime business needs fansubbers is specious. What they need are people to buy (not pirate) their titles.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Obviously, their threat didn't mean much as all of School Rumble has been subbed (the C&D came before the second season ever aired) and one group that recieved a C&D for Gankutsuou just ignored it, and Media Factory hasn't done anything else. I'm sure there are other series that they had the rights to that have been fansubbed as well.
Strawberry Panic, Noein (completed in fansubs after US licensing announcement as well), and Chocotto Sister are three MFI that I can think of right now that were fansubbed or are being fansubbed atm.

While anime companies don't exactly have "deep" pockets, they still have more resources than those "l33t IRC kiddy fansubbers working from their mom's basement."
Malkoziane wrote:
They are also one of the slowest compoanies at release any infromation about an anime or just releasing them period. The best example would have to be Negima and Tsubasa Chronicle. I belive they both got licensed around the same time +/- a few weeks but Negima has just been released to DVD and we still don't know jack about Tusbasa.
A sampling of a few FUNimation licensing announcements and release dates:
Negima -- announced 10-30-05, 1st DVD 8-01-06
Tsubasa Chronicle -- 1-16-06, ??? (2.5 months apart, not exactly "within a few weeks of each other")
Speed Grapher -- 6-19-05, 7-04-06
Basilisk -- 6-05-05, 8-08-06
FMP! TSR -- 5-26-06, 11-14-06
Peach Girl -- 9-23-06, "early 2007"
School Rumble -- 8-05-06, "spring 2007"
Rumbling Hearts -- 2-18-06, 12-19-06

So really, their intervals aren't really that long, not compared to other companies.
genman wrote:
This also isn't 1992 anymore, so the argument that the anime business needs fansubbers is specious. What they need are people to buy (not pirate) their titles.
, I agree, but AnimeNation's Ask John did have this to say:
Quote:
Despite arguments to the contrary, fansubs do have a helpful impact on American commercial releases. Shows that are common and popular within America's fansub community regularly become successful American commercial DVD releases; shows that see American release without advance support from the fan community are rarely successful. In fact, I can't think of a single anime series that has become a major hit on American DVD that was not common in the fansub community. American consumers buy what they've seen or heard of, and avoid anime that they've not heard of or seen before. The only anime titles available on commercial American DVD that had not been available in the fansub community prior to their commercial release are ones that have not been very commercially successful in America. A few examples include Corrector Yui, Time Bokan, Tobe! Isami, Miami Guns, Tennamonya Voyagers, and Makasete Iruka. It's possible for anime productions to be licensed for American release during pre-production, and it's possible for American licensors to pick up obscure shows that they know of, but which the American fan community isn't familiar with. But as a general rule, regardless of quality, shows that have little or no name recognition in America's fan community prior to their American release don't sell well in America.
I'm curious to see how ADV's Nerima Daikon Brothers does on DVD, given that there were no fansubs for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4