• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
And yet another OVA, Puni Puni Poemi (2001)

Brilliant satire of magical girl genre. In fact perhaps the only good one I have watched so far. Extreme energetic as well. 8/10

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Man, I haven't watched anything that I've absolutely loved since Winter Season ended. Granted, I decided to focus on my backlog for Spring Season instead of watching any ongoing shows, and there are a couple there I'd like to see. But even my backlog had shows that I thought I'd really like, but I'm not really feeling them just yet.

Saiunkoku Monogatari season 2
The second season of the show started off strong. I loved the first 8 episodes. But once Shuurei got away from capitol, it started going downhill. The show's strengths lie in the how people get stuff done when negotiating with others, planning strategies, political maneuvering, giving passionate speeches, etc. It's a show that just naturally gravitates towards talking and discussions, both political and in regards to character's feelings. It's strengths definitely don't lie in situations where any sort of significant animation is needed (it feels like a 39-episode show with the 26-episode budget). Action scenes can feel really stilted with both the limited animation and shoehorning in conversations where conversations really shouldn't be happening because it ruins the high-stress, suspenseful mood. At one one point, Kōrin sneaks around the bad guy's lair to talk to one of the captured characters, and I swear that they have a 10 minute exchange talking about feelings and worries despite the fact that she could get caught at any second. I finally finished that arc, so I'm hoping to get back to the strengths spoiler[(though I wonder how well that'll go since Shuurei has been let go from her positions... NOOOOO).]

Hyouka
I want to like this show more than I actually am. I'm enjoying the simple, every day mysteries aspect of it. It's the characters that are bothering me. Or, specifically, one character: Eru Chitanda.

I normally avoid using the word "moe" to describe a genre of show or character, because it tends to start a large debate. However, Eru has certain facets of her personality that pretty well describes the type of "moe" characteristics I dislike seeing. First, her voice is pitched high, which isn't anything unique to anime in itself and is just something that I've grown used to despite still being an occasional grump about it. Second, she always drags Houtarou around with her whenever she needs him to solve a case, and it is so damn annoying. Holding his hand/wrist and pulling him along behind her. I try to rationalize it as her way of motivating him to be active, and he's so lazy that he has to be dragged along to get him to places, but the impression it gives off is a little kid dragging a parent along. STOP ACTING LIKE A LITTLE KID. It's not cute, it's annoying. But beyond just certain mannerisms, her role in the show is to always be needing his help and to always drag him along with her fanciful whims. (I don't know who annoys me more in this regard - her or Haruhi Suzumiya). And, I get it, she's the spark that is helping him socialize and become more active. And I also understand that everyone has strengths and weaknesses and that while she's book smart that doesn't necessarily mean she's good at solving mysteries. He has the memory, perception, and ability to make the logical connections in order so solve mysteries. I'm fine with that. What I dislike is how her character is made to be so childlike and innocent. Watching her turns me into an unreasonable grump. Even her reasoning for wanting Houtarou to help her remember what her uncle told her a long time ago (spoiler[I don't feel I'll be able to adequately say goodbye to him at his funeral unless I remember]) ticked me off. spoiler["Oh, you don't feel you'll get adequate closure if you can't remember some random conversation you had with him as a kid? You're agonizing over this? WELL, BOO-F***ING-WHO, there are people out there who don't even get the chance to say goodbye. Your concerns are trivial. GROW THE HELL UP."]

Did I mention watching her turns me into an unreasonable grump? Anyways, that kind of cutesy, innocent, little kid behavior is the type of "moe" that annoys me. The other characters don't really bother me. But she's single-handedly dragging the show down for me.

And you can all stay off my f***ing lawn!

Kokoro Connect
Two people on this forum recently had some good things to say about it, so I decided to check it out. I watched the first 5 episodes of this show, and have enjoyed it. I like the characters and how they play off one another and I like the humor.

What I don't like, however, is the flimsy excuse for throwing the characters into these fantastic situations. So, I'm supposed to believe that some sort of alien or higher force is treating this like an experiment and getting some sort of data from this? Or that they're doing this as some sort "altruistic" good faith gesture to have these friends create a closer bond? If this show was going to continue with the body-switching phenomenon, I might sorta be able to buy it. But having read further, apparently different types of "experiments" are going to be performed. spoiler[They'll be able to revert to a younger age, and later have their feelings and impulses amplified.] At this point, the current in-world excuse is not able to overcome the real reason for all of these fantastic situations, which is that it's the author's wishes. It reads like a fanfic scenario. In terms of building relationships/friendships, being able to actually see someone's history or physically experience walking around in someone's shoes skips all of the work of getting to know people. It hits the immediate emotional satisfaction button for fans, because it creates a scenario where the characters do get to know each other inside and out because they get to experience each others' lives. There's no chance for deception, all the cards are laid out on the table ripe for the picking. And since they know each other so well, it deepens the relationship (and eventual romance). It works well as a guilty pleasure, and I have enjoyed such stories myself on occasions. At the same time though, having a flimsy in-world excuse ruins the immersive experience.

Also, the aliens are arseholes for not even considering the characters' free will. But that's a different complaint.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
And yet another OVA, Punk Puni Poemi (2001)

Brilliant satire of magical girl genre. In fact perhaps the only good one I have watched so far. Extreme energetic as well. 8/10

o.o I'm guessing you also liked Excel Saga then. Most people I meet either hate, or halfheartedly enjoy Poemi. I personally thought it was funny though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Most people I meet either hate, or halfheartedly enjoy Poemi. I personally thought it was funny though.

Well, count me as one of folks who really enjoyed Puni Puni Poemi, since I watched it a while earlier. Smile
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Going to watch this old classic, Fate Stay Night (2005), watched the first couple episodes, really good stuff. Very good atmosphere given the great soundtrack.

Also watched the first episodes of Muv-Luv (2012) (something like that), so far so good, a bit tad too much fanservice and gore but that's their style.

@louis6578, I haven't watched Excel Saga only that OVA.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Wed May 27, 2015 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Bubblegum Crash. It wasn't AS bad as I thought it'd be, but it's got nothing on the original Bubblegum Crisis. The dub also got slightly worse since Crisis, but... that isn't saying much.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
@Jose Cruz:

The first two episodes of Total Eclipse are anime original and are completely unrepresentative of the rest of the show; it might just be an adaptation failure, but as-is they also reach a level of quality you're not likely to see in the rest of the series(it probably could've benefited from being half as long).
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Two more pendent shows watched. One is Kill la Kill, which for each person the opinion and experience seems to be different. In my case, the first half I thought it was eh/okay (too plot-of-the-week and when shows like this try to be intentionally funny during most of the timeline they fall incredibly flat for me and go to "try too hard" category, I prefer when it's more serious with still some jokes between), the second half much more entertaining and fun, so overall I liked it. It's one of those shows though where I completely understand every opinion any person can have about it, whether they adore, like, dislike, hate or despise it, it's very mixed.

Also, watched Yuki Yuna is a Hero... the ending totally ruined the show and whatever it was trying to get across. Already before was "eh" but you trust it to do something interesting, and when it does but then it completely destroys it, it hurts, and in the end it just feels like another marketable Madoka clon (although at least it's not a desperate "OMG DARK EDGY" like Day Break Illusion).
ayanami000

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Currently watching One Piece Episode 580- A Battle in the Heat! where Luffy and Zoro fights the dragon and they discover the presence of a pair of legs. LMAO. Twisted Evil
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Puni Puni Poemi
Fishie in the sea.

Anyway, I'm watching different things. I'm getting thru Cowbo Bebop because it's getting much better. It was good at the start, but eventually the show started getting really cool and suspenseful.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Watching Bubblegum Crisis (1987-1991), super classic OVA series. So far it has been amazing indeed, pure 1980's atmosphere, cool cyberpunk style lots of explosions and "robot gore". Characters are also pretty memorable as well. One of these iconic 1980's anime titles.

Polycell wrote:
@Jose Cruz:

The first two episodes of Total Eclipse are anime original and are completely unrepresentative of the rest of the show; it might just be an adaptation failure, but as-is they also reach a level of quality you're not likely to see in the rest of the series(it probably could've benefited from being half as long).

They were pretty good indeed. Very Happy Well, I still plan to finish watching it anyway, the robots and the girls look kinda cool.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost at the end of watching Comic Party. The show has done really well showcasing the pros and cons of the doujinshi community while maintaining a humorous feel. Plus, I enjoyed the cameos of To Heart that were present every now and then. Smile
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Watching Bubblegum Crisis (1987-1991), super classic OVA series. So far it has been amazing indeed, pure 1980's atmosphere, cool cyberpunk style lots of explosions and "robot gore". Characters are also pretty memorable as well. One of these iconic 1980's anime titles.

Polycell wrote:
@Jose Cruz:

They were pretty good indeed. Very Happy Well, I still plan to finish watching it anyway, the robots and the girls look kinda cool.

Fair warning, don't bother with Bubblegum Crash.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
One thing I forgot to bring up about Comic Party: I could have sworn that Mizuki somehow reminds me of a certain Water-type Gym Leader from the initial season of Pokémon...

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Fri May 29, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
One thing I forgot to bring up about Comic Party: I could have sworn that Mizuki somehow reminds me of a certain Water-type Gym Leader from the initial season of Pokémon...

Lol yes, I can see that. Anime hyper I also really liked Comic Party. I didn't care for the second season as much because it focused more on the girls instead of doujinshi and it really felt like "yes, we based this on an H game" which the first season didn't have. >_>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 854 of 1062