• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Going down memory lane with Record of Lodoss War. I am seriously blown away by Funimation's BD presentation. The video quality looks absolutely spectacular, really highlighting every nuance of the animation. Lodoss has never looked as amazing as this. The dub, featuring Lisa Ortiz in her debut role as Deedlit, sounds as solid as ever, remixed in Dolby True HD. Although not on par with today's standards, Lodoss OVA dub does have its charms and is certainly one of the better ones from the 90's -- a period where dubbing was mostly rocky. Perhaps because of Ortiz, it holds up fairly well for its age.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Going down memory lane with Record of Lodoss War. I am seriously blown away by Funimation's BD presentation. The video quality looks absolutely spectacular, really highlighting every nuance of the animation. Lodoss has never looked as amazing as this. The dub, featuring Lisa Ortiz in her debut role as Deedlit, sounds as solid as ever, remixed in Dolby True HD. Although not on par with today's standards, Lodoss OVA dub does have its charms and is certainly one of the better ones from the 90's -- a period where dubbing was mostly rocky. Perhaps because of Ortiz, it holds up fairly well for its age.

WHAAAAAAT I NEVER REALIZED THAT WAS ORITZ.

Deedlit is my favorite character; I look forward to visiting this series again in the future....agree about the dub too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Finished rewatching Ace of Diamond, and am now jonesing for a 3rd season. Smile So much so that I'm trying to slog through the manga for the Koshien games (Kominato spoiler[cuts his bangs!!!] Shocked). Aside from not getting along very well with manga to begin with, I'm finding it difficult to tell what's going on without the voice and sfx work to guide me, and it's really lacking in drama without even the limited animation the series employed.

Anyway, I can't get enough of Miyuki, whose eyes remind me of a Rottweiler when he's deadly serious behind the plate (whereas Eijun's eyes are more panther-like when he's getting serious). The death glare he gives the derpwad who sumo-ed him at the plate is downright chilling (and how that guy was not immediately ejected from the game I still don't understand - even the crowd watching the game expected him to be). I really want an OVA all about Miyuki that deals more with his homelife and such. The tantalizing bits we've been given just aren't enough. He really is a fascinatingly complex character and makes the whole franchise worth watching.

The series seems to give off a lot of mixed messages, alternating from "You're not playing alone, play for the team!" to "You have to play for yourself!" Both attitudes have been the downfall of players who held them. Confused

Too bad this will never be licensed for home video. Sad
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finished watching Attack on Titan's second season, and I am SO STOKED for the next one! Let me tell you guys, you are in for a lot next year! Other thoughts? Ymir is officially the best character in this series, and I really want to do an analysis post on her.

I'm even more hyped for Jojo's Stardust Crusaders that airs this weekend! Honestly, the show didn't really start to get good until Battle Tendency (more specifically, spoiler[the episode where Cesar dies.]). So...this should be good.

Meanwhile, I want to get my recap of Code Geass's seventh episode up tomorrow. Hopefully. Also, I know exactly what I want to watch and recap after Code Geass. BUT...I'm not going to tell you what it is.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
TurnerJ wrote:

WHAAAAAAT I NEVER REALIZED THAT WAS ORITZ.

Deedlit is my favorite character; I look forward to visiting this series again in the future....agree about the dub too.

Glad to hear. I've always loved this dub and I've never really understood some of the backlash against it. As far as I'm concerned it's a solid effort for being something from 1996. Now the Chronicles of the Heroic Knight dub was very problematic and nowhere nearly as consistent. But the OVA dub remains solid IMO.

The BD just looks absolutely stunning; there's a lot of richness to the animation that you don't get these days.

Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, I watched it because Key rated it as masterpiece and it was a nice experience overall. I found all the characters pretty cool although the male lead felt like the least realistic one (he was supposed to be the stoic ultramasculine person and hence doesn't show his emotions, although the highly introspective and subjective emotions of the shoujo manga he wrote could be interpreted as his emotional escape valve).

I also started watching another title in Key's list of masterpieces, Kyousougiga. So far it's a pretty impressive show on a visual level and it's artistic complexity appears to be quite high. I have high expectations for this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
I rewatched the first 9 episodes of Baccano with a friend. It's just as amazing as I remember it. Outstanding characterization and a very entertaining blending of three separate narratives. It's very entertaining despite lacking depth. A solid 9/10 show for me. Heck, it might even make 10/10 if they ever decided to adapt the rest of the novels.

I'm also reading a manga at the behest of a close friend, but no one wants to hear about that.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
My on and off relationship with anime seems to be ON now.

Rewatching (for the 4th time?) bits of Samurai Champloo with my partner. I first watched it ages ago, then rewatched it with friend, then with the mentioned partner, and now he is rewatching it, so I am tuning in from time to time. There are not that many shows I like to watch many times, if I go back to some, it's usually for bits of episodes I likes, this is one of the exceptions when I really enjoy watching it over and over and not bothered.
Started Re:Creators, but not enjoying it massively to be honest, although it shows enough promise for me to want to continue.
I watched one episode of Kuromokuro ad dropped it, not liking the premises much at all, but who knows, might try to give it another go.
And finally a show I really like, Made in Abyss. I am trying to pick one series from ech season to watch, and this is the one, and really did not regret picking it. It looks like it will be a rewarding watch, and kind of makes me think of Beast Player Erin in a way where it looks really innocent, but actually may touch some pretty serious themes. Plus, the animation is stunning and creative, so thumbs up so far!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
Yep, Made in Abyss is my favourite of the season, too. Visually, it looks like something Studio Ghibli would do, but with better story-telling chops.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
It also makes me think of Now and Then, Here and There- character design not great and looked a bit childish at first, and was I wrong.
I hope people are not being put off by the characters' visuals in Made in Abyss. I would not have picked it up based on this alone as it did not seem my cup of tea, but the themes and good reviews were really convincing- from the bits of the season I saw this far, this is definitely a winner for me.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I am watching some really great stuff right now, Simoun. OMG, that's like a hidden gem right there. Well hidden because I wasn't following the fandom back in 2006, since I would guess this was a relatively popular one back in the day. Very atmospheric and very good art style. I am loving it so far, the music is also very good. Overall, I am considering giving it a masterpiece rating. Cool

Also, I am watching right now something that could be called "South America's first anime" because it's a serious adult animation that's hand drawn although the art style is not Japanese (it reminds me of Archer's artstyle, the movie is called Uma Historia de Amor e Furia). It is really inspired by stuff like Ghost in the Shell.

@,Unicorn Blade, Now and Then, Here and There, now that's my favorite show whose name I always forget. Cool I think I will watch that Abyss show after it finishes airing (I usually like to binge watch stuff).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Ok, lets roll.

After 2 (!!!) years, I finally managed to finish Fantastic Children.
This is such a strange show. I must say, it took me forever to get into it. The start is very, very slow and almost painfully confusing. We have the fantastic children, some scientists, a mysterious girl who hardly speaks, a detective, a young boy and a bunch of flashback that really start to make sense a bit later on in the show. Also, the character design and animation did not look great to begin with- and once again, note to self, don't judge the book by the cover.

All in all, I do think that long exposition is not doing the show any favours.I read a few reviews and most seemed to mention that people wanted to drop it (or like me, dropped it and came back later) because of the premises being unclear. It takes a lot of attention to sit through 10 or so episodes to finally start grasping what is going on.

Although character design is quite poor (and so is the English dub, which sounds really artificial), the actual visuals are lovely, with lots of amazing landscapes.

The story itself, once it starts, turns out really enjoyable and rewarding. There is something really heartbreaking about the cycle of Beaufort children searching for Helga, and her origins, and longing for something that she herself does not understand. And a lot of interesting, but tragic events on the way. I am happy I was patient enough to sit through it, although it took me uch a long time to actually finish the series.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Today I finally got around to finishing Fuuka. Fuuka's upbeat personality is relaxing to watch compared to Suzuka's aggressive nature in her own show from years ago. Plus, the songs are a blast to hear.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else watching Tsuredzure (Tsurezure, Tsuredure) Children? It may be short but they pack a lot into each episode, and I'm loving every minute of it. For me it's this season's Kemono Friends. Smile This week's simultaneous text confessions were hilarious. I kinda wanted to see them at school the next day, but maybe next episode.

I admit I was a little weirded out by this little detail on Saki's mom's neck. wth? Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
Yep, I'm watching TC. It has turned into one of the "pleasant surprise" experiences since I didn't really have any expectations for it. Yeah, the texters were a hoot as were the couple ispoiler[nterrupted by his mother] the week before. I didn't notice that neck thing but yeah that is pretty weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 985 of 1062