• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Kaguya, Giovanni's Island Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingQuaka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Would be nice if Expelled from Paradise would've finish earlier as well as, don't laugh, The Last: Naruto the Movie. Both upcoming films have absolute potential for Academy's recognition. But that's just me.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Psycho: Well, Pixar's not in the running this year. And Disney doesn't have a Frozen-type juggernaut on their hands.

Pretty sure the Planes sequel that was submitted is a Pixar.film?
Both Planes movies were Disneytoon Studios.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing both of these. I think Lego Movie will win, unless Big Hero 6 proves to somehow best it.

Jayhosh wrote:

But it would be nice if, just once, an anime could win. My bets are on The Lego Movie, for the same reasons the first commenter brought up. I actually really liked that movie so I'm not entirely opposed to that.

Spirited Away won. Not without a nice push from Disney, of course, but it did win.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Shana + Octopod: And Pixar really hates being associated with 'em.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
I'm interested in seeing both of these. I think Lego Movie will win, unless Big Hero 6 proves to somehow best it.

Jayhosh wrote:

But it would be nice if, just once, an anime could win. My bets are on The Lego Movie, for the same reasons the first commenter brought up. I actually really liked that movie so I'm not entirely opposed to that.

Spirited Away won. Not without a nice push from Disney, of course, but it did win.

Sorry, I meant other than Spirited Away. Because like you said, Disney really marketed that, surprisingly even more so than their own movie that year, Lilo and Stitch. After Spirited Away I feel like they just kind of gave up on trying or caring about Ghibli's films.

All I'm hoping is for Princess Kaguya to at the very least get nominated. I mean, think of all the publicity that would give it! It'd be almost as good as winning, because it would still raise awareness towards it. Plus, having really good reviews helps too. I'm sure it boosted interest (and possibly upcoming Blu-ray/DVD sales) for The Wind Rises, and it'd be even better for Kaguya because Takahata's works are generally not as well known. Oh boy, now I've got my hopes up. I feel like The Wind Rises mainly got a nomination because it was Hayao Miyazaki, and not because it was Ghibli. Fingers crossed though!

And by the way, why didn't Wolf Children ever get nominated? That movie was fantastic! I bet those buttheads at Funimation didn't even qualify it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought they did give it a qualifying run.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh: Wolf Children didn't get nominated, 'cus no one likes furries. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2