• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retailers: Slayers Movie & OVA Blu-ray Box Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
If the reason this boxset was canceled because the pre-sales were too low to bother, I hope somebody does a kickstarter like the one made for Bubblegum Crisis and release this in full high definition glory. If it mimics said campaign I would gladly put my money where my mouth is; Slayers is one of the few oldies that can still be marketed to western audiences.

Difference with this and BGC is those BDs were released in Japan a long time ago, AnimEigo was just gathering funds to bring them here, not do the actual process of remastering. Otherwise a Kickstarter for getting all of Slayers in HD from scratch would be stupid expensive.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
If the reason this boxset was canceled because the pre-sales were too low to bother, I hope somebody does a kickstarter like the one made for Bubblegum Crisis and release this in full high definition glory. If it mimics said campaign I would gladly put my money where my mouth is; Slayers is one of the few oldies that can still be marketed to western audiences.

Difference with this and BGC is those BDs were released in Japan a long time ago, AnimEigo was just gathering funds to bring them here, not do the actual process of remastering. Otherwise a Kickstarter for getting all of Slayers in HD from scratch would be stupid expensive.

Stupid expensive is not a number. WCS the kickstarter fails, sorry but I am fed up with naysayers.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
i agree with mangamuscle ... on kickstarter ...i myself have even gone as far as to send a letter to funi and Sentai about pre-ordering shows to show support for dubbed releases as well
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Stupid expensive is not a number. WCS the kickstarter fails, sorry but I am fed up with naysayers.

I can't give a number because I don't know how much it costs to clean up and run telecine on over 80 episodes and half a dozen films. What did AnimEigo want for their Kickstarter? It would be at least several times that amount, and they were only licensing and distributing something that had all the heavy lifting long since finished. FUNi might put a lot of effort into ruining DBZ every year, but they knew there's a constant neverending market of morons willing to purchase it, and while I don't doubt Slayers has a fanbase, it's nowhere near that size or wallet capacity. Point is, analog anime on BD isn't usually released here unless Japan's already done the bitchwork. There's only a few rare cases where that isn't true, with the recent Cut Kite BD being an addition (albeit, that was only 48 minutes and they still managed to botch it.)
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
have to agree with walw6pK4Alo ....
that the best we can hope for with most OOP /old dvd stuff is to wait till they upgrade in japan first...
MAAAAAAAN am i happy with my Ranma 1/2 BDs ...
can't wait for Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
I hope someone does license UY for BluRay, and that BD releases come out for the films and OVA series, but I think those were also cancelled if they had any plans at all. Luckily something that was in dire need of help got a BD last year, and it's a hot fantasy title as well. Someone grabbing Lodoss should be a no-brainer, but look how long it took to get BGC out.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I can't give a number because I don't know how much it costs to clean up and run telecine on over 80 episodes and half a dozen films.

Th original article talks about the movies and ovas, do not add the TV series to pad your assumptions

Quote:
What did AnimEigo want for their Kickstarter? It would be at least several times that amount,

Again, unless you have some data to share, your "several times that amount" is hearsay to support a naysayer point of view.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2