• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1 GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Araki is definitely inspired by Western comics, given his taste for all things Western (especially music). I don't really think his---or Hara's---art reflects that, moreso that they're geniuses who truly created their own inimitable style. Araki and Hara both make my shortlist of The Greatest of the Greats. You just can't pin down one thing that made them as good as they are at their craft.

Regarding pacing and fight scenes, it seems to me 1 and 2 were more "FotNS-like" because Araki was free to focus on plot and character and setting. What must have happened with Part 3 is he was pressured to make a straight battle manga due to latter day Dragon Ball's success. I believe he's said that the reason he kept switching between exotic locales was so that he would have to come up with creative strategies for the guys to use in battle. It worked; I don't believe any shonen manga before had the hero battle a villain through a game of cards or a video game. A hell of a lot of them after Jojo did though.
GeassNote

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
I don't believe any shonen manga before had the hero battle a villain through a game of cards or a video game. A hell of a lot of them after Jojo did though.

This is true.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AbsurdlyHighStakesGame

JoJo is most important Shonen Jump title with Hokuto no Ken and Dragon Ball. Because Stand is one of the most influenced battle system in shonen genre. Most Western comics, horror film, fashion tropes came to East with JoJo. Also Platinum Games founder Hideki Kamiya is huge JJBA fan
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I never read any of the original JoJo's releases Viz put out because I found out it was not the beginning of the story. Now that this is out I have no excuse not to read it.

Also as a person who loves old Manga I also would enjoy this I also get a kick out of reading stuff that originally came out the year I was born (1986). I also like old Shonen Jump artwork so this looks like a must have.
1thought

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hirohiko Araki definitely has his own flavor to his art.

But just like Hara Testuo (Fist of the North Star) all this was the next progression or evolution of all the massive influences of manga and anime from the 70's.

Although you see a lot more of a 70's influence in Araki's previous work Baoh.

It might be likely with Hara Tetsuo(Fist of the North Star), Hojo Tsukasa (City Hunter and Cat's Eye) and Akira Miyashita (Sakigake Otokojuku) his contemporaries of Weekly Shonen Jump at the time all having popular series at the time.
Their art style all featured a more full bodied character.

Araki might have decided this is also how he wanted to draw.

There was the next round out of these guys too with Masanori Morita and Rokudenashi Blues and Takehiko Inoue with Slam Dunk.

Morita was Tetsuo's assistant and Inoue was Tsukasa's assistant and even though they have their own flavor you can see their teacher's influence in the art,
Mewzard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I'm digital only. So its over for me. Volume 3 came out this week.

Oddly enough, Viz doesn't have volume 3 up on their site, where I get my digital manga. I tweeted them about it, I hope they can resolve that.

Do love Phantom Blood, though Battle Tendency is awesome. What I'm looking forward to is seeing them get past Stardust Crusaders. Diamond is Unbreakable will be fun. As will a good translation of Vento Aureo. Stone Ocean's also pretty good, though Steel Ball Run's probably one of the best. Still surprised they haven't added Jojolion to WSJ.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely need to get this.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:10 am Reply with quote
Personaly I have no doub'ts Viz will rerelease Part 3 in these Jojonium editions, and that Shueisha will continue the line up to Stone Ocean (Steel Ball Run i'm uncertain of though). To coincide with each anime release.

I hope so anyway, because Part 4 is one of my all time favourite comics. It doesn't put a foot wrong at any point and it was one of Araki's high points in the series. And thats sayi something.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand, the Jojoniums are only going up to part 3, unless there was a further announcement. I very much hope Viz will release the part 3 ones though.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Source?

Granted, that wouldn't surprise me. After all, Japan has yet to finish the Jojoniums through part 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3