• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (Movie).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote

Synopsis:
In the movie's story, just before the completion of the Academy City space elevator "Endymion", the main characters Kamijou and Index encounter a level 0 girl named Arisa. The Magicians are after Arisa, and they attack Academy City. A female leader named Shattoaura leads a unit from Academy City against the attack. Kamijou and Index learn from Stiyl that Arisa is key to a brewing war between the sides of Magic and Science.

Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki
Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction

Damn, I definitely enjoyed this.

I admit, even Index is even cute in this movie. The new girl Arisa seems okay I guess. Apparently, she's spoiler[level 0]. Her designs looked cute though and her outfit at over the 30 minute mark was decent.

spoiler[Misaka looked cute in this movie though in her outfit in the first half. Oh God my heart. And Touma...seriously, you get into mishaps with this new girl in compromising situations? LOL. The action imo of this movie was decent. Styil and Kaori are also in this movie so expect a little taste of magic].

The soundtrack was pretty good. I think that was one of the strong points imo as Arisa is sort of an idol herself. spoiler[My favorite character, Accelerator along with his little friend Last Order] are also in this so that's something of a sight to see. Overall, decent movie with fluid action, strong audio music, and action. I wish spoiler[Accelerator] got more screen time though beside in the second half and towards the ending there. I'll probably watch this again in HQ when a better versions is out but this was worth the time!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Noctis313

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
can you please send me the link by PM? Thanks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
So how do make a good ToAru movie? The answer beside having a great story with action and characters is to have loads of cameos, and there were plenty if you were looking right. I feel that I should talk about that first.

We had team spoiler[Railgun including Saten, Kongou, Kongou and her friends, Haruue, Banri and Miho (eye brows) made an appearance. I assume Kuroko's injuries likely being from her battle in season 2]. Stiyl had a fairly large role with his own spoiler[group which had three young girls, Mariebeth Blackball, Marye Spearhead, and Jane Elves. You might be somewhat taken aback with him along 3 cute girls until you remember his actual age]. But the most gleeful of appearances was that the spoiler[Misaka Sisters caught wind of the upcoming climax, relayed it to Last Order to get Accelerator involved], it created a kind of funny moment of spoiler[Kuroko, Saten and Uiharu overhearing "Misaka". And 3 countdown of Mikoto's railgun, Stiyl's Innocentius, and Accelerator's..... just Accelerator really.]

For new characters, Arisa was as likable as you would expect from one of those spoiler[movie only girls that enter the main characters lives and ultimately disappear at the end]. I tend to have a weakness to them, although she did not feel to special, I thought her singing brought something to the table. It was hard not to sympathise a bit with the villains, firstly with spoiler[Ladylee, which you realize just wants to die when you see that she has not aged in a long time and is creating a destructive spell]. Then also spoiler[Shutaura which is not really has you guessing if she is a villain or not, she is definitely cool, I found it hard not to feel sorry for her when she acted out after finding out it was Ladylee's fault her father died], surprised that they actually allowed it to be shown spoiler[a little girl being stabbed]. Also hard not to feel sorry for spoiler[her that she damaged a part of her brain so that rhythm in songs sound horrible to her], although I had already guessed earlier that spoiler[Arisa was her missing parts or something similar], so not much of a surprise.

I thought there was a funny shout out to spoiler[rewrite jokes in trying to convince Index and us that the tower had been there the whole time]. *looks around a bit* Although apparently it has appeared in Railgun's second season. Everything had the Index feel, but still did not have some of the faults that I often feel are in Index. The music was alright, a number of BGM sounded more blockbuster, but there were also plenty of J-pop usual for this series, I can finally properly enjoy the song I downloaded ages back. Animation was also better as you would expect. I can't wait for a DVD as a number of scenes are wasted on the quality allowed by illegal streaming.

Overall I would rate it Very good, it was not a blow away movie, but also was not a bad movie, a better job than I have seen.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
It depends on how the viewer looks at it, as far as a misc anime movie piece it is "ok", an issue is that during the effective 3rd act there seemed to be a check off list of character cameos regardless of if it hurt the pacing.

spoiler[The fan favorites of Accelerator and the Sisters undoubtedly could have been removed with no loss to the flow, Misaka could have been better utilized for the final arc.]
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
As an Indexverse story, it worked for me. I loved Stiyl's apprentices (he deserves some girls too since he lost Index to Touma). I understand that the who appearance of Accelerator and the Sisters was kinda jarring, but they are a key element of the Kamijou faction and fit into the role they played here very well. Timeline wise, this is mid-September, before Daihasei and so Kuroko was sidelined. It really did fit very well into the storyline, even meshing well with the novels.

And heck, spoiler[the Sisters saving Misaka's life] was awesome. They don't get used well enough often enough.

I'm tempted to go buy a legit copy of this film to help support the franchise. World War III needs to be animated. Very Happy
Miranox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the second season of the series yet, but I thought the movie was good. The plot was well crafted to include all of the main characters of the show and to give them at least one chance to show their stuff. It was a little rushed because they had to do all of this in 90 minutes, but it worked out in the end.

The one thing I didn't really like about this movie is how it borrowed the spoiler[pop idol with magic songs] idea from Macross Frontier. I don't think highly of Japan's teenage pop idol worship. They also threw in the whole "it's my dream to sing" cliché. Well, even if I dislike these tropes I can understand why others like them.

I gave the movie an 8/10 rating, the same as the TV series. If you liked the show, you will like this movie. If not, then don't bother.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Finally watch the film. It was good. One part Idol singing, one part plot and the rest action.

I think i like Styil's students and i hope they appear more in the novels, side stories and anime.

spoiler[So basically whole plot was cause by an immortal loli Ladylee who wanted to die that she tried killing 88 passengers in space for a spell, only the plan to foil by a young Shoutaura who was a Saint/girl Blessed with Divine powers who wished for a miracle, which lead to Alisa being "born" from her at cost of her father's life, her inability to listen to music and trauma and cynicism in miracles because the authorities didn't bother to correct a mistake that someone did died during the crash all for the sake of good PR.

And with the Space Elevator built, which is actually a magic Tower of Babel, Ladylee makes a giant magic circle in space with Alisa's song as the trigger and the audience the human sacrifice to make an End of the World spell so she could finally die. Too bad she had to hired the dead pilot's daughter as her bodyguard and Alisa meeting Touma, Index and Mikoto which lead to her plan failing.

Now that Alisa and Shoutaura are one, will she make an appearance again and i wonder what Laura will do with Ladylee now they have her?]

spoiler[The only complain i had was the movie was short and coincidences that a lot of Magic/Science characters where there to help the heroes. How convenient.]

For a first time movie, i give this a 9. Hopefully the next movie is longer and even better than the 1st and might be a Railgun movie. Wink
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Hm... funny seeing this here, but Ok.

I'll make this as short as possible

Pros:
-Some of the best action the series has shown so far in animated format
-A lot of characters got to play a part or receive a cameo

-It fits decently well (even hilariously so) within the series timeline

-Looks good visually with a few good sound pieces

-None of the Movie OC characters got on my nerves.

Cons:
-Regardless of the story being pretty well put together, the plot is kind of cheesy

-Pacing towards the end could have been a bit better.

-If you misread or hear the explanation for the 'plot point/twist' near the end, you will want to hit someone over the head with a shovel, even if you are a LN reader like me.

Overall:
This film is for Index fans, and if you're a Railgun fan you have a bit of love too, but don't expect it to be completely 50/50. As a side story for the series it's good, as a standalone anime film, eh, it's a popcorn action flick at best. You're better off re-watching that Ghibli film you re-watched 50,000 times already.

Personal Nitpicks:

- Will any of these characters in the movie appear later down the line?

Kamichi: I dunno~ spoiler[(Though he does in an interview give a sentence on what happens to them after the events of the film, though I tell you now, don't expect any of these guys to show up in season 3...when it eventually gets announced.)]

-Kuroko(I have no words for you if you like her, I just don't ok?)

-Some of the songs aren't as memorable as others.

-Those Idol sequences when Arisa turned into a 3D model *shivers*
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Congrats Saten, you finally made a proper appear in an Index story~

Loved how they point out the retcon at the very start.

Overall an enjoyable movie. I do wish there was a proper sort of final boss Touma had to punch in the face, though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Congrats Saten, you finally made a proper appear in an Index story~

Loved how they point out the retcon at the very start.

Overall an enjoyable movie. I do wish there was a proper sort of final boss Touma had to punch in the face, though.

Yeah, I definitely agree, while spoiler[I will say that I liked that he pulled a smart move by using the music on his phone to mindfuck Shutaura (which btw animators why did you animate the scene as if Touma had just then pulled out his phone instead of still holding it?) but I too would have liked a real fight instead of Touma just tanking a few bombs and that be all, especially with the action we had him in earlier in the film. Sure, it'd be hard as hell for him to fight someone with that power plugsuit, but it'd be entertaining for us the audience to see!]
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
A cheesy but fun movie overall. The only problem I had was that spoiler[Arisa was not affected by the Imagine Breaker. Sure, Touma's explanation is that it's because she was "real," but I still can't buy it. The Imagine Breaker is what kinda draws the line between reality and fantasy. Even in the Raildex universe, Magic and Esper abilities are still abnormal things, and they're definitely fictional things in real life. I think that the Imagine Breaker should have affected her without exception because a human being split from another is anything but normal, in both real life and in the Index setting.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't see an issue. spoiler[Alisa's body is real, it was just created by miraculous means. There was no mystical force acting on her body keeping her separated from Shoutaura or anything, so there was nothing for the Imagine Breaker to negate.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
But it might have been good to see what Touma could spoiler[do to the villain, kind of funny that she went through such trouble to kill herself, but Touma could have broken the effects by just touching her].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and now she's spoiler[Aleister's plaything.]
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I don't see an issue. spoiler[Alisa's body is real, it was just created by miraculous means. There was no mystical force acting on her body keeping her separated from Shoutaura or anything, so there was nothing for the Imagine Breaker to negate.]

Ok I guess I can run with that, since Touma's Imagine Breaker only seems to negate active Magic/Esper effects.

I always considered his ability a "slap of reality," removing any and all things produced by what we'd consider imaginary in the real world. For all intents and purposes, I would've considered spoiler[Arisa's body itself as a supernatural phenomenon and thus negatable, but the story is as you described it, so I gotta accept it.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2