• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Space Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diadumenian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Hate to disagree, but Space Brothers is a bore. Mutta is appealing but not a strong enough force to carry the show. Many of the side characters - the JAXA director, the dog, most of the other astronauts - are dull or often annoying. Animation, music, backstory, all kind of meh (enough with the tape recordings and mystery light show please). As other posters have noted, the show DRAGS.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Violence Jack is a detestable piece of shit, at least in the first episode. (Which is the only episode I've watched.) Then again, said episode made me refuse to watch anything else. It's a show where the women are women and the men are almost all rapists and/or criminal thugs (who may or may not also be cannibals.)

When I had the chance, I read a little bit of the manga to see how they compare, and, big surprise; the two have absolutely nothing in common. You can probably say what you want about Go Nagai, but he was never a complete misantrope.
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
diadumenian wrote:
Hate to disagree, but Space Brothers is a bore. Mutta is appealing but not a strong enough force to carry the show. Many of the side characters - the JAXA director, the dog, most of the other astronauts - are dull or often annoying. Animation, music, backstory, all kind of meh (enough with the tape recordings and mystery light show please). As other posters have noted, the show DRAGS.

I think it was meant to drag. Unlike other shows, this one aired in a respectable slot, at a time where children could watch it with their parents, and so, they probably wanted it to air for as long as possible.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Space Brothers is a show that felt like it was loved for being different (as an anime) more than being good. I enjoyed some of it (the stuff around episode 10-20 or something), but it was ultimately just so slow and dull. And despite what appears to be a mature setting, the execution is often very cartoony; the style really clashes with what the show seems to want to be.

I fully agree with the NouCome review, though. The show is so stupid, but it knows that and it takes its stupidity and does whatever it can with it. It's kind of a "so bad, it's good" show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
I'm mostly of the same opinion. And even whenspoiler[ they're on the moon], they forced into contrivances that no astronaut or mission control would have let occur.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
I was not a fan of Hibito's arc spoiler[on the moon], but overall, I love Space Brothers. For the period it was on-air in Japan, it was a little ray of hope and optimism for me every week, and I hope it comes back someday. I did fall behind at about the point some other people are mentioning, but eventually caught up and stayed current all the way through till the end.

It is slow, and it gradually gets slower, so I'm not sure what the rewatch value is like, but when I was watching week-to-week, it almost never failed to provide a relaxing, pleasant time spent with some characters I really liked.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
I saw the live action Space Brothers movie on flight between Australia and Japan, enjoyed it, and wished that it was available on blu-ray with English subtitles.

I watched .hack//SIGN after already discovering the music and hearing "open your heart", "Yasashii Yoake" (ED), "the world", "key of the twilight" and "fake wings" live, so I'm biased by the music. While the anime doesn't tie things up at the end, it is enjoyable.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Usui is a pretty weak leading man... The issue lies in his characterization as a mysterious cool guy... As far as his family, backstory, interests, fears, and weaknesses go, we get zilch. Usui is a closed book that the script never gets around to opening.

Usui's personal history and family play a major role in the manga's 2nd half and ending, and explains some of his eccentricities. In a nutshell, spoiler[his family isn't very pleasant, but they are filthy rich.]

Unfortunately, with no news of any 2nd season, reading the manga is the only way to find out what happens next. (Good news is that it's ended already).
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Violence Jack just baffles me. What compelled Nagai to make something so atrocious, so incredibly misogynistic...

Everything that happens to the women and children in the Hell Town arc....its hard to block out because its so disturbing (as is the non-consensual scenes in Mezzo Forte and Kite).

Has he ever addressed why he made it so....unbearable?
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
GATSU wrote:
You actually sat through Violence Jack? I just saw one of the Youtube clips, and it was too much for me.

I have a very high tolerance for anime nonsense. You forget who you're talking to.

it not surprising. people who wasnt anime fans back in the 80's and 90's when some popular animes like most of go nangai's series as well as ninja scroll , vampire hunter d , guyver , crying freeman and mad bull 34 was definitely not for kids and people that are new to the otaku community so its a no brainer that it was too much for him. at least he didn't saw series like MD Geist or others where the violence is still brutal to this day which is probably why no company have licensed them since central park media have bitten the dust and manga ent is nearing its end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Violence Jack just baffles me. What compelled Nagai to make something so atrocious, so incredibly misogynistic...

Everything that happens to the women and children in the Hell Town arc....its hard to block out because its so disturbing (as is the non-consensual scenes in Mezzo Forte and Kite).

I think we sometimes like to forget that Nagai has made a lot of questionable, very bizarre, unexplainable things.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Did Nagai have any say in how the anime turned out? Because it's VERY different from the manga.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You actually sat through Violence Jack? I just saw one of the Youtube clips, and it was too much for me.

I have the italian dvd edition of Violence Jack. While the dubbing is superlative, the content is quite disgusting. As disgusting as Legend of the Overfiend. I saw it once and it was more than enough.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:

I think we sometimes like to forget that Nagai has made a lot of questionable, very bizarre, unexplainable things.

Disregarding the fantastical, there are plenty of things that are atrocious, misogynistic, and just plain horrendous in real life. Why should creators be constrained to what is safe or considered moral, when real life is not so pretty.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Disregarding the fantastical, there are plenty of things that are atrocious, misogynistic, and just plain horrendous in real life. Why should creators be constrained to what is safe or considered moral, when real life is not so pretty.

Devilman ok could be excused because it's supernatural.
The rest of his production not so.

Tell me what redeeming qualities are in Kekko Kamen ? Or in Violence Jack ? Manga not the animated versions.

There is whole spectrum between playing safe and doing what he does. This guy is an extremist. In all senses, his extremism and gratutitous ultraviolence permeates his entire manga production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3