• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Trapped at a Convention

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
MakoMori wrote:
I have not been to many cons (there are few in Switzerland), but I can see what you mean by being surrounded by otaku and having nothing in common with them.

Same. There aren't many cons around here either, but I've midly enjoyed those I've gone to. Still, sometimes I feel that some fans are just "too" into it for my tastes. I can tolerate cat ears, but trying to talk like an anime character, or mixing japanese into your normal speech... it's just too much.

Worst of all, I'm positive I watch more anime weekly than 95% of the people that go to cons around here. It may just be the case where I live, but it's the newer anime fans the ones who act this way, those who've recently discovered anime and fell in love with how different it was to their normal cartoons... and thus try to adapt themselves to a sub-culture that is not really what they think it is.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
SnowMusket wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Oh god, it's these kinds of people at conventions which give anime a bad name.

Related to this though, I'm contributing over 20 hours of volunteer time at Tekkoshocon next weekend. It's the first time I've ever worked at a con, so it's going to be a new experience for me.

I hope you have fun. I have volunteered at Tekko multiple times, I've even been a department head one year. I've always enjoyed it. My mother will actually be volunteering in Con Ops this year.

Thanks! I went to Tekko once last year as an attendee. For a variety of reasons, I decided to be a volunteer worker this time. I think it'll give me a good opportunity to meet some new people while perhaps even allowing me to practice some Japanese while I'm there.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The only convention I've spent any time at was Anime Expo last year and I didn't see anything that weird. Maybe it happens more at smaller conventions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
The only convention I've spent any time at was Anime Expo last year and I didn't see anything that weird. Maybe it happens more at smaller conventions.

I've been going to conventions for years now, both large and small, and there are weirdos at all of them. I just feel at a smaller convention there is a chance to be more "intimate" with them.

I also feel the smaller local conventions then to attract an even younger crowd. Who are much more likely to be awkward (because pretty much most teens are awkward anyway). But also super excited about their fandom. Which as I've gotten older I still love a lot of fandoms but I don't express it so loudly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
At these conventions, particularly the ones open to the younger crowd, that's where you get the worst kind of weebs imaginable. The ones who get their entire perspective of Japan from anime and manga, while creating stories for our enjoyment that fill r/WeeabooTales.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
MakoMori wrote:
Oh. My. God. Poor you, I bet that image got stuck in your head...even I have a very hard time right now not imagining that guy and his...bounty. Seriously, WTF?

I have not been to many cons (there are few in Switzerland), but I can see what you mean by being surrounded by otaku and having nothing in common with them. When I was at a manga store the other day, there was a girl with cat ears and peculiar clothes and accessories in general (it was a normal day, so I suspect that was her everyday outfit), who was squealing a lot. I felt a bit bad for my horrified reaction, I don't want to be mean to fellow fans, but yeah, there are weird people out there. And annoying ones. Really annoying ones. I'm just glad said girl did not start throwing Japanese phrases around, it would probably have been impossible to stay quiet if she had.

and to think someone dressing as a catgirl as normal casualwear was something that only occurred in anime and manga.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I'll always remember that particular incident as the first chink in the armor, the first time that I was surrounded by otaku, and yet had nothing in common with any of them. I felt like an adult male at a boy band concert: simply not the intended crowd.

I've enjoyed a lot of anime, but I have not enjoyed a lot of anime fans. I generally stay away from people who are dedicated fanatics, and thus, I do not plan to step into any anime convention.

I just don't fit the crowd. I like anime, but I don't want to BE anime.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I would really like to hear one of the stories of how you met one of your long standing friends or colleagues. It would be really fun if it was one of those "I knew this guy who [insert weird thing]...and that's how I met Zac Bertschy."
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
^
I'd like to hear how Justin Sevakis met Chris Macdonald. Cool
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the most funniest story I've read Laughing , but at the same time sad Crying or Very sad because I can see why Justin left the con.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I really don't mind weirdos at conventions. To all my friends I am a weirdo. (most of my friends don't like anime) What's weird is different to everyone and everybody thinks they aren't weird. What had been getting to me is people pretending they are something they aren't so that they fit in or impress people. That and creepy guys who just try to pick up every chick they see hoping to find a nice innocent girl to take advantage of. I was leaving a ACen one year and there was a guy who looked like he didn't watch anime and he was asking every girl who was alone if they wanted to come to his room and model for him to take pictures. And that's not the creepiest thing I've seen
maxhate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
That was hilarious! Laughing

{Please. No one-liners. Thank you. ~nobahn}
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I started going to cons at 14 and stopped in my early 20s. (I'm 30 now.) Ever since the age of 24, I've felt well outside of these events' target demos - which is a shame, since ACEN is practically in my backyard.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
The Saber Marionette story would be so much better if ended with, "By the way, I'm Zac Bertschy."
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
The only things that entice me about cons are the dealer's room, industry panels, viewing rooms, anime booths, and meeting other moderately introverted fans who I can have an enjoyable back and forth discussion with and not just listening to them go on monologues and talk over one another. You can keep the cosplaying.

JaggedAuthor wrote:
I started going to cons at 14 and stopped in my early 20s. (I'm 30 now.) Ever since the age of 24, I've felt well outside of these events' target demos - which is a shame, since ACEN is practically in my backyard.

I was always under the impression that cons were mostly a male, 30+ crowd. I remember John Sirabella from Anime Blasters, at the Otakon 2008 industry/fansub panel, saying that back in the '80s, anime cons were mostly attended by guys in their 40s, who were also video game/sci-fi/computer nerds. That's obviously changed, but Adam Sheehan from FUNi said at Anime Expo 2010 that DVD survey statistics showed that 51% of fans were over 25. I've only been to two conventions in about 15 years of otakudom (Numa Rei no Con 2003, Mechacon 2011, and I wanted to go to Sakura-con last year), and it did seem like the teenage crowd, though a large minority, was the most, uh, "noticeable".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5