• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poodicus1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Based on CR user ratings, this is the most popular new series of the season on Crunchyroll, and by a fair margin. I will be very surprised if this isn't also doing well enough in Japan to warrant an eventual second season.

You may have to wait a while then, because from what I've heard, this season is apparently covering volumes 1-5 of the Light Novel, with volume 7 having apparently just come out.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Can anyone who's read deeper into the novels than the two U.S. releases to date confirm or deny on Poodicus's claim? Earlier in the series they were going at a pace of three episodes per novel, so I would have thought that four would have been more appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Poodicus1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Can anyone who's read deeper into the novels than the two U.S. releases to date confirm or deny on Poodicus's claim? Earlier in the series they were going at a pace of three episodes per novel, so I would have thought that four would have been more appropriate.

Episode 10 was the entirety of Volume 4 for whatever reason, seemingly skipping a lot of fluff that the novel had (or so I've heard).

Anyways, this should further prove my point with the volume 5 cover:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dungeon-ni-deai-o-motomeru/images/f/fb/Volume_5_Cover.png/revision/latest?cb=20150507015315
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning episode 12:

Yeah, there were a couple of different times that interesting things were going on in the background, but Aiz's moment was definitely the best of that lot. She's somehow becoming quite the character without actually showing much character.

And add Hestia's power release to the other great stuff going on in this episode, too. Seeing what the consequences of that are going to be, and whether or not that has something to do with the restriction on gods and goddesses entering the Dungeon, will be interesting, too.

Based on CR user ratings, this is the most popular new series of the season on Crunchyroll, and by a fair margin. I will be very surprised if this isn't also doing well enough in Japan to warrant an eventual second season.

This is J.C. Staff, of course a second season is inevitable (Surprised that it still isn't announced as of yet). This could be the new Familiar of Zero. They adapt it in close proximity of each seasons till the end of the novels is upon us and then they adapt it to it's completion.

At least I hope they go that route as they have with many titles in the past.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
One thing I wanted to note, is that as incredibly cliched as the bath scene is, I give the show credit for keeping Hestia wonderfully CONSISTENT in that she takes it as ANOTHER opportunity to be incredibly direct with her flirtations with Bell. If anything, the whole scene is pretty unusual in how most of the women are not at all "embarassed" by Bell falling in the bath, but I find it really amusing that Hestia just reacts like "what, you want to bathe with me? GREAT, let's do that". (even hilariously saying he should've just come when she was by herself) I wonder if Hestia is intentionally written to be comfortable in that sort of setting BECAUSE she knows she is more "endowed" than her rivals. (we get the bit earlier in the scene of her noting that to Lili, so it would make sense that she'd see Bell being there as a chance to "show off")
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Just found these - the bathing scene, from Bell's perspective [NSFW, I guess], and chapter #4's lead image. These are from LN #5.

Since there are the spin-off novels, Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darō ka Gaiden Sword Oratoria, should this show get green-lit for another cour, it could show content from the side-story LNs as well.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty explicit that Hestia using her power caused the dungeon to send the boss in. Hermes says the dungeon hates 'us' -- us being the gods.
There was a week between the two parts of that explanation, but I don't think that was intentionally left unclear.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The gods are not allowed into the dungeons... reason was never given... thought cause without their divine powers they are just like humans that dont age... maybe they shouldnt go into the dungeons is cause it does hate them and wants em dead...

Personally I don't think Bell is related to his "grandfather" by blood...

Bell's parents are dead... so he decides to raise his Child's son during his exile...
TrustTheFungus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Uranus is a Greek god. Ouranus is just an alternate spelling. Caelus is the Roman equivalent. It's always annoyed me that Uranus is the only planet that uses a Greek name.

If this is what happens when gods enter the dungeon, why did Hestia go in there putting Bell in significantly more danger than he was in to begin with? And why did she use her power when he was winning his fight in episode 12?
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Well the last episode said "fin" at the end so im going to take a wild guess and say that the anime is a one and done kind of thing. It was an ok series just not one that I will buy and rewatch. It just didn't excite me that much.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'll agree that the flurry of questions left unanswered at the end and the lack of a true sense of resolution are legitimate negatives. Still, I loved the execution of the fight scene so much that I didn't care. This is definitely a series that I will have in mind when considering my top 5 for the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
I know the show had a lot of issues and faults, but sadly a ton of that is from them trying to shove so many volumes into 13 short episodes.

But I feel they got the overall gist of Danmachi onto animated form in a respectable enough fashion.

Sad that a lot of crucial elements like Bell's Argonaut ability and his inner mentality wasn't shown off, but it was still a fun ride. If a season 2 happens, hopefully we'll get more of the backstory and lore that needs to be delved into. Of course, with Freya's true plans, what Hermes was talking about at the end, and where Welf, Lili and Bell goes from here.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
I would also play the crap out of an Etrian Odyssey style game in this setting. Hopefully one that has the sense to not make you play as the main characters.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
i really enjoyed the series but i cant help feeling that this episode was poorly directed.

starting by them jump skiping camera angles ong the batle akwardly. then the couple "batle mountage's still frames" also being introduced abruptly and ending as fast as they came.

one of the thing that bugged me the most was the voice direction of welf's final atack, his streatching of the pronunciation of "get out of the way" consumed the time that would had been better used as a pause for effect when screaming the attack's name, which was also weirdly entonade, so it ended up not having much of an impact

while we are talking about welf, all the drama build upon his coming of age on acepting his power was a complete failure. so his frustration and resentment was towards "making" them but on this episode all his fuss was about "using" one that was alredy made, aparently by himself (they only said by a crozzo), somewhere in the past and hephastuos was holding into it for some unexplored reason. then to make things worse andromeda mentioned that it has surprased "the original" (whatever that is). why going out of their way to mention that? it just makes it look like they failed even harder at explaing his strugle. we were alredy waiting for them to explain why he feels so stongly against magical items (until now we just knew that he doesnt like them, but just that, not liking is not a reason for not making if needed. they never gave us a reason as to why he is so "traumatized, and conflicted"). so go ahed tell us it was a copy better than the original, but not why it is impresive or why welf decided to make a copy of something else to begin with.

then giving that zeus's grandson vague info. why now? it doesnt really feels like it has a catch value more than just justifiy why bell is inherently OP.

and ofcourse no one is mad at hestia for almost get everyone killed by atracting that super boss after unleashing her powers, no problem aparently everyone also agreed on ignoring she broke a rule by entered the dungeon to begin with, but "who cares, hestia is bestia lets drink and have a celebration montage" yeah... no

dont get me wrong i still enjoyed the series a lot and am looking forward to a second season. but i have to be honest aside from ryu's badassery this episode was fairly dissapointing
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
TrustTheFungus wrote:
Uranus is a Greek god. Ouranus is just an alternate spelling. Caelus is the Roman equivalent.
"Uranus" is still a more Latinized spelling of the name - the direct transliteration of the original Greek is "Ouranos". It's hard to hear the difference in the anime, but the novel apparently uses the "-os" ending (ウラノス, rather than ウラヌス), so "Uranus" in this case was a choice on the part of the subbers. Not that it matters much since, as you rightfully point out, those names do refer to the exact same god from the same mythology.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9