• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Being A Member of a Production Committee

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
You doubt the quality of series like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe?
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You doubt the quality of series like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe?

I'm talking about garbage like Adventure Time and Clarence. And for the record, I don't know what people see in Steven Universe, but that's just my opinion. I can give Gravity Falls the credit it deserves however.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is adding more languages that expensive? I thought it'd be peanuts compared to legal fees.

It's a fixed cost. Licensing fees can vary greatly depending on how popular the show is and what the licensor thinks that they can get for it. So while licensing fees may scale down with a less popular show (or if a rights owner just wants to get it out there to sell more expensive home video releases or other complementary goods, a la Aniplex of America), for a sufficiently unpopular show additional languages just aren't worth it for the same reason that a dub just isn't worth it. (A sufficiently unpopular show won't get made in the first place, but it's the Japanese home video sales that are driving the show for late night shows and OVAs.)
Buzz201

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
It's not European Persecution Because Websites Are Too In Love With North America, it's problems with licensing separate foreign rights for every show they acquire (oh, but that's easy with Japan, isn't it?), plus regional advertising support, and many other reasons that, like Netflix, just make it simpler for streaming companies to create and mind their own local business.
If France or Italy wants to come up with an anime streaming service that will serve France or Italy--without having to additionally force itself on NA like some companies do--they are welcome to try, as long as the local market supports it. And if Crunchyroll manages to branch out a division to service anime rights and advertisers in Germany, maybe they can fight it out with Viewster over there, but here, the market has settled into its own audiences' tastes.

It kind of is, but only from a business stand point. It's because the North American market is worth more, and European rights aren't neccesarily worth it to them. I completely understand why all these companies prioritise NA, but that doesn't preclude me from being disappointed that they do.

A French service that doesn't operate in NA (or least English-speaking NA) - you mean like Wakanim or Anime Digital Network? I think Crunchyroll is going after that market too, hence their recent French-language acquisitions of Gangsta. and Prison School.

I didn't say it here, but I don't think Viewster will succeed in NA, I think they'd probably be far more successful if they stayed in Europe and focussed more on aggressively conquering the market here.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
I'm talking about garbage like Adventure Time and Clarence. And for the record, I don't know what people see in Steven Universe, but that's just my opinion. I can give Gravity Falls the credit it deserves however.

Well, people really like Adventure Time and Clarence, including myself, so much that they have significant fandoms of their own, particularly Adventure Time (and it allowed Pendleton Ward to have a little animation empire of his own online and via his colleagues).

I don't know if you recognize who my avatar is, but it also demonstrates I am a fan of a western cartoon that I know is highly divisive, at least online, that also has a pretty large fandom, even if said fandom can be sometimes obnoxious. (What isn't divisive online now though?)

But well, to each their own. I'm on an anime site, and as a long time western animation fan, I've seen the rivalry between anime and western animation firsthand a lot.

John Thacker wrote:
It's a fixed cost. Licensing fees can vary greatly depending on how popular the show is and what the licensor thinks that they can get for it. So while licensing fees may scale down with a less popular show (or if a rights owner just wants to get it out there to sell more expensive home video releases or other complementary goods, a la Aniplex of America), for a sufficiently unpopular show additional languages just aren't worth it for the same reason that a dub just isn't worth it. (A sufficiently unpopular show won't get made in the first place, but it's the Japanese home video sales that are driving the show for late night shows and OVAs.)

Hmm, I always had the impression that licensing fees for anime are all astronomical regardless of the show. That is, I thought that these Japanese companies, once they see a western company is interested in a show, is going to demand large amounts because they think the western company sees a lot of potential selling it overseas.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Which would explain why the British Isles and Scandinavian rights to Blood Blockade Battlefront floated around for almost it's entire run without being acquired. If CR wanted them they could have had them, they didn't...

Crunchyroll don't have the US rights either so you can't complain that, as Crunchyroll customers, we were missing out.
In the case of Blood Blockade the UK license could have gone either to FUNimation (who have the US license) or Kaze (who are streaming it in France) and either would have prevented CR getting it. We don't know where Viewster licensed it from.

Quote:
The truth, rather depressingly, is the CR has a few territories and languages it cares about and every other territory that get is a bonus to them. Sadly, Europe (with the possible exception of France) is the cherry on their North American sundae, nice if you have it, not a complete disaster if you don't...

It is how it is. If they can't get the US, then most of the time there is no point in them going after the English rights for any other regions (and literally can't in the case where FUNimation has already snapped most of them up etc.)

Alan45 wrote:
While subscriptions provide a nice revenue stream Crunchyroll still gets the bulk of its income from advertising. It is hard enough getting advertisers who sell in both Canada and the US. Finding advertisers selling in Europe is much harder. I really doubt that views originating outside North America are counted by CR's advertisers. Basically since Europe provides very little money it is not a priority.

There have been some UK and Scandiwegian licenses that have only been possible due to subscribers (and indeed some shows that have only been available to subscribers). My information on this dates back to when Rob was still with the company (he is now with Viewster and has done other things inbetween) so I'm not sure exactly where things stand these days, nor can I recall a recent subscriber-only show in the UK. I have quotes, but I'd have to dig them out.

Quote:
Crunchyroll is actively looking for marketing employees in Brazil, Germany and Sweden or Norway, so it's not like they're completely writing off everywhere except North America.

They've also advertised for UK-based employees. Here's one: UK Market Development Manager
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
It kind of is, but only from a business stand point. It's because the North American market is worth more, and European rights aren't neccesarily worth it to them. I completely understand why all these companies prioritise NA, but that doesn't preclude me from being disappointed that they do.
Europe's basically screwed over by three things: A) it's not always a single license B) it's a multilingual region even if you do get it; not everybody's English in the region is up to par, so those people aren't going to be attracted to an English-only service and C) quite a bit of the continent has a very low purchasing power. Meanwhile, the US and Canada are always a single license, have only one language worth worrying about and most of the population has enough income to waste on a streaming subscription if they feel like it.

Beyond single countries, Latin America's really the only place that starts to fill the second two criteria - and even then you've got to pick a dialect of Spanish(I'm not sure how the licensing schemes typically work for the region). Ignoring ability to pay, the other large region with a single language would be Africa, where most of the population is well versed in French and/or Swahili - but there's the tiny problem of those countries being unlikely to get their crap together any time soon(thank you foreign aid).
Buzz201

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Crunchyroll don't have the US rights either so you can't complain that, as Crunchyroll customers, we were missing out.
In the case of Blood Blockade the UK license could have gone either to FUNimation (who have the US license) or Kaze (who are streaming it in France) and either would have prevented CR getting it. We don't know where Viewster licensed it from.

In reply to somebody else, Viewster mentioned Anime Ltd.'s twitter feed, and the announcement occurred 2 weeks after Andrew Partridge was celebrating getting one of his two favourite shows for the year on Twitter. (He has said during the podcasts that he likes the show and "maybe there's something that can be done there".) We also know Anime Ltd. are holding back announcements for MCM Manchester, make of that what you will...

Shiroi Hane wrote:
There have been some UK and Scandiwegian licenses that have only been possible due to subscribers (and indeed some shows that have only been available to subscribers). My information on this dates back to when Rob was still with the company (he is now with Viewster and has done other things inbetween) so I'm not sure exactly where things stand these days, nor can I recall a recent subscriber-only show in the UK. I have quotes, but I'd have to dig them out.

It's not a UK and/or Scandinavian exclusive, but World Trigger is subscriber only in the UK. It goes free (or is at least listed as going free) one week later in certain parts of the world, so I think it's something Toei Europe have specified.

Polycell wrote:
Europe's basically screwed over by three things: A) it's not always a single license B) it's a multilingual region even if you do get it; not everybody's English in the region is up to par, so those people aren't going to be attracted to an English-only service and C) quite a bit of the continent has a very low purchasing power. Meanwhile, the US and Canada are always a single license, have only one language worth worrying about and most of the population has enough income to waste on a streaming subscription if they feel like it.

The UK & Ireland gets bundled with America a lot (as part of an English-language deal), which means we get a lot of shows, eventually, For whatever reason, FUNi will always go after a package deal, with most distributors it's English-language rights, but some (like NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan) bundle all of the Americas together, for their shows and then sub-licence them to a local licensor, unfortunately the way they do this often precludes the show from being simulcast in the UK. Hence why you see a bunch of foreigners upset whenever FUNi licenses a show, because it invariably means somebody somewhere won't be able to stream it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
A FUNi license in no way precludes it being streamed, it just usually ends up not happening.
For a season or two I watched FUNimation simulcasts on YouTube (Campanella, Denyuuden, C3 etc.) This stopped when they stopped putting simulcasts on YouTube (and even when they do upload whole episodes now, they're usually locked to UA/CA by default).
For one season, all the FUNimation shows with UK rights included were streamed on Animac (e.g. Selector Infected Wixoss and Noragami).
We had a couple of FUNimation-licensed shows on Viewster last season, although it is unclear whether they were sub-licensed from FUNimation or
direct from Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Beyond single countries, Latin America's really the only place that starts to fill the second two criteria - and even then you've got to pick a dialect of Spanish(I'm not sure how the licensing schemes typically work for the region). Ignoring ability to pay, the other large region with a single language would be Africa, where most of the population is well versed in French and/or Swahili - but there's the tiny problem of those countries being unlikely to get their crap together any time soon(thank you foreign aid).

There is no need to choose a dialect, we are not china, when dubbing/subtitling for the whole region (instead of say, for Mexico only consumption) you use neutral latin spanish, basically removing some words that may have other (vulgar or double entendre*) meaning in the region, which is a little different from european castillian spanish, but even them would undestand it.

* Kagome from Inuyasha had for that reason to change her name to Kaome in the spanish dub ^^;
Buzz201

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
A FUNi license in no way precludes it being streamed, it just usually ends up not happening.
For a season or two I watched FUNimation simulcasts on YouTube (Campanella, Denyuuden, C3 etc.) This stopped when they stopped putting simulcasts on YouTube (and even when they do upload whole episodes now, they're usually locked to UA/CA by default).
For one season, all the FUNimation shows with UK rights included were streamed on Animac (e.g. Selector Infected Wixoss and Noragami).
We had a couple of FUNimation-licensed shows on Viewster last season, although it is unclear whether they were sub-licensed from FUNimation or
direct from Japan.

2 shows on Viewster during the winter season and 2 shows on Viewster during the spring season, made available about 11 weeks in to the season. I was over-exaggerating, but I think you're being a too little generous.

Also, worth noting that it's not just us that get caught out by it. Apparently FUNi holds pan-American rights to Seraph of the End - Vampire Reign, and aren't streaming it outside North America. (For reference, Anime Ltd. holds most of the European rights.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6