• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't like these ones where the MC wants to save someone they barley know, even though there is a high chance they could die or something very bad will happen to them.

Helping people on his journeying is great, when it's just a task to do, but you can't get behind them when they are jeopardising their entire quest, over something trivial in comparison. If he had just carried onwards, nearly everyone watching would of been fine, it's the right choice after all.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know what Jun's power was, but why did she take her cloths off???
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I think she had to purify herself in the river before she could access her powers or something.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
Well, i for one would have been bothered if Ushio hadn't tried to save Moritsuna, regardless of the potential risk involved because that would have contradicted everything we've learned about his character so far. Plus, Moritsuna isn't just some random stranger but one of the potential candidates for wielding the Beast Spear and might very well still have a part to play in this series.

Ushio is steadily turning into one of my favourite shounen heroes of all time since he's got all of the positive character traits, like being honesat and kindhearted and wanting to help/protect people while lacking most of the annoying ones, like being really noisy or really dumb or always prattling on about wanting to become THE STRONGEST...
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the screenshot....WTF? Shocked
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
That's one of the best things about the manga, the episodic stuff is always important later. That's why I'm sad that they're skipping some of the stories; it's gonna make the shows climax not quite as good as the manga's.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show, but this entire "Ushio gets saved by his harem combing his hair" business was unintentionally hilarious.

On the bright side, i love the cheeky little fox, i want one for myself. Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
"Ushio's turned into a monster!"
"Oh no. What now?"
"The only thing that can save him is women he knows brushing his hair."

My reaction was about "Well...okay then." It's pretty weird, though I understand the need to bring back episodic characters and Ushio's female friends. The brushing makes some visual sense, too, considering his transformation includes long hair.

But I've gotta admit, having not read the manga, I was expecting more of a Tora vs. Ushio battle. Ushio's monstrous form is pretty cool looking.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thought Yu calling out Asako on her "I don't care what happens to Ushio, but I'll save his life anyway" bullshit very satisfying? Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
"Ushio's turned into a monster!"
"Oh no. What now?"
"The only thing that can save him is women he knows brushing his hair."

That's what separates the civilized from the uncivilized - split ends. Still, someone needs to take a comb to that one girl's head - she seems to have suffered permanent wind-poof in the cockpit or something. I don't recall it being quite that ragged looking before, but it probably was. I just couldn't stop wondering whether she would know how to use a comb when it was her turn.

Overall, I took this as a very clever way to do a recap episode, since I couldn't remember who half these people were until they reminded me.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Episode #17:

My, oh my. Last week's episode (#16) felt like a surreal version of The Magic School Bus, and this week we got the Beauty and the Beast Laughing

While it was nice to see the character from the start of the show reappear (even Hyō Very Happy), even if the Comb will be shown to be a centerpiece in the fight against the Hiyō and Hakumen no Mono, the reasoning for their assembly felt contrived, and the actions taken during the episode didn't help, either; I mean, landing a helicopter right on the airport's terminal's entrance? Not even in the boarding/disembarking side, but in the foot traffic area? That one stretched the suspense of disbelief quite thinly for my taste.

And there's also Nakamura Asako's behaviour; she came all the way to Hokkaidō, and then talks as if she did it on a whim, or she expects to be rewarded somehow, even if the audience knows it isn't the case. In-universe-wise, it was acceptable when Hiyama Yū called Asako on her behaviour, and it was about damn time, too. Even though the show's source material was written in the early 90's, getting an adaptation two decades later has revealed that not all character types age beautifully, and Asako's tsundere act, and this point, is just another one from the numerous, similar characters can anime has given us during those 20 years. I found it to be quite annoying and distracting, and if she'll even dial it back a notch, it will an improvement.
/rant
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it the series is entertaining because of tora.
Without him the story would feel pretty bland...it feels kind of sad sticking to a series because of one character, hope the story improves to give me more reasons to appreciate it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

Gina Szanboti wrote:
My guess is that even though they thought they had it on the ropes and only had to finish it off, they were wrong (just as Hitotsuki was when he fought Tora this week and thought he had him beat), and she sealed it to protect them from being wiped out.

Probably only demons working with the Beast Spear wielder can finish it off, and the Beast Spear has been in use for the last 500 years. The Kappa said that it was only when the HnM's identity was discovered by humans that it retreated, so it sounds like there needs to be a human component in the effort to defeat it.

Called it. ::beams childishly::

Excellent episode. Creative way to show without a massive info dump, tricky blend of action, pathos, horror and humor well executed.

(complete sentences incoming Wink) I wonder how the emperor chose which concubines to kill? He probably picked the ones he was tired of anyway, and kept his favorites, getting what he deserved in the end.

I liked getting a better sense of how much that family sacrificed to create the Beast Spear (the change in how the father and son looked after working on the latest version spoke volumes). In Ushio's possession haze, the forger seemed to be someone obsessed with his art, forging it for the sake of making an ultimate creation, making the weapon kinda evil in the process. But now we see he had less self-centered motivations (though no less obsessive), and that the weapon isn't so much evil as just dangerous simply due to its nature, in the same way a knife isn't evil, but will cut you if you aren't careful with it. It will be interesting to see the next step from here to Ushio's vision.

The series is really hitting its stride now. I wasn't too sanguine about it at the start, but I'm glad I gave it a chance.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
Was Tokisaka voiced by Mayumi Tanaka? Because that's who it sounded like.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Was Tokisaka voiced by Mayumi Tanaka? Because that's who it sounded like.

You're right, that was her. I have a hard time reading the kanji in the ending credits thanks to the funky font this show uses, but the name 田中真弓 is easy enough for me to recognize.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12