• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beautiful Bones: Sakurako’s Investigation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
I also wonder if Sakurako has some sort of connection with the main guy as she called out "Shoutarou" twice this episode.

She called "Soutaro" the first time, and said "Shoutaro" the second. Two different names.

Sorry for late reply but you're right.

Episode 3:

So...Soutarou is Sakurako's dead younger brother. Now that makes sense given the context of the photograph.

Interesting episode although the case itself felt stale imo
We find out more about Yuriko's grandmother and I think it's understandable how she reacted. What a simple yet sad story tbh regarding her Grandma. Anime cry

As expected, this show still remains beautiful in terms of its visual content. I hope the studio can keep that up. Episode had a more elegant atmosphere this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
episode three

Yuriko seems to be getting set up as another recurring character. It'll be interesting to see what her involvement is. Romantic entanglement? An outside (and more normal) perspective? Fridged?

Anyway, the episode was decent take on the whole circle of life concept. I'm kind of curious how, besides spurring Sakurako to reveal little bits of her past, these individual stories are going to tie in to the overall story.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Detectives in this show are just the worst. Did they just look at how tough she had it and assumed suicide rather than more obvious explanation of a fall after wanting a nice view? Beyond the worry that she might run off with someone's bones, it is practically a larger injustice that she has not done something to change the forensic practices of the area.

I did recently read some articles that talked about how police work of crimes often work out, and apparently it is a statistic that the majority of crimes go unsolved because there is not the resources that allow such crimes to be solved. But what was done here was bad. Although I can't say if that means it is unlikely. I have also heard that Japan does have fairly high suicide rates, so might it be that some might be wrote off to have a case solved?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Detectives in this show are just the worst. Did they just look at how tough she had it and assumed suicide rather than more obvious explanation of a fall after wanting a nice view?

Well, most people don't normally go hiking in the middle of the night and the cops couldn't know about such a sentimental reason. It's not unbelievable that they'd connect her hardships to unusual behavior and assume suicide.

On top of that, as cynical as it sounds, cops get jaded after awhile. They have a lot of work to do so they can't dedicate a ton of time to each case. So they usually just go with whatever conclusion is the simplest, especially in a case like this. There's no vile murderer to track down, or conspiracy to unravel. Just a poor old woman who died in the woods.

I do like how they've figured out how to distract Sakurako and get her away from the scene.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I have also heard that Japan does have fairly high suicide rates, so might it be that some might be wrote off to have a case solved?

Traditionally suicide is seen as an honorable solution (see seppuku) and while not openly endorsed these days, that mindset still exists. Japan is a collectivistic culture where the whole is more important than the individual. It's seen as better to off yourself than drag everyone else down.

Anyways, hope Yuriko gets more screen time. I'm actually not a big fan of older women love interests.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Wasan't that the same detective that called the first drowned couple a suicide? Maybe it's his default solution.

"Decapitated? Head in a bag? Obviously he used the zipper to sever his head. Quite a strong arm, this one. Case closed!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
episode four

A more in-depth mystery this time it seems, plus some fleshing out of Shoutarou's character.

Being love-mauled by a dog is one of those life experiences it is nice to see animated, if only for acknowledgement of its terrifying existence.

I can't help but think that car they had to reroute around was somehow important but given what was in the episode I have no real guesses as to why. Also, I wonder if the fellow the cursed man was speaking to is related to the hints of an overarching plot we were thrown in episode 2 and in the intro.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

It feels like this man wants to die, if he is not openly trying to establish supposed supernatural causes for a suicide, he could well be making himself sick from thinking they will kill him. They already were establishing that genetics may be an issue, that it might be an indirect caause. Cases of dogs suddenly going to dying people has been an observed fact, but rather than supernatural causes theory holds it that some animals smell things on the human body that we can't detect. There was a particular case of dogs being able to detect cancer, but don't know why it would like her so much, maybe something she works with. And there can be poisonous paints that could affect someone via overexposure.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

I thought this episode was interesting, although a bit talky because of the mystery, I kinda liked it mainly because of Sakurako's analysis. And you know shit gets real when she goes into that detective mode. The analysis of the painting in particular caught my attention.

I can't believe there's another murder or maybe I should say, suicide (or at least attempted one in this episode). Sakurako's theory about the perpetrator and clue with the broken axe made it more thrilling. Interesting to see small glimpses more of Sakurako's past/delusion. I'm guessing pieces by pieces will fit together for the overall story later on. Fuijka's plan became more and more obvious after the revelation.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Looks like we got ourselves a proper antagonist. I was expecting one to pop up once that drugged guy started going on about "getting butterflies" for "him."
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
episode five

I should have been worried before now, but the consequences of the current pacing has just kind of hit me. It doesn't seem like we're going to get that far in to the overarching storyline regarding the butterfly villain and Sakurako's past (which, we're almost sure to find are linked in some fashion). It's kind of a shame, because that's probably the most interesting aspect of the show - the way that's been woven in.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Took her long enough to realise why a man who is afraid of curses would take in cursed things and suddenly invite over his long time seen police friend.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
It has been two weeks without bones. Where are the bones, Sakurako-san?
No I don't mean that silly "let's solve the mystery" sequence I mean real bones. I came here for the bones and I have not been getting bones.
Also, I normally would've thought it was dumb for the guy to try and suicide by way of 'broken' axe that is obviously done on purpose but considering the previous track record of the police he probably would've gotten the money.
AKS-Jack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Looks like we got ourselves a proper antagonist.

Does this series *need* an antagonist though? When I first realized they were setting one up, all I could do was ask "Why are you doing that?"

Granted, Sakurako's over-the-top persona kind of needs something to bounce of off to prevent it from looking stilted, but I thought that would be taken care of by the "Shounen" as we got deeper into the story of Sakurako's brother.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

More of a breather episode. I'm actually glad to see that Yuri got some spotlight especially during her conversation with the teacher, since it also shows what she went through when a close relative was gone. The 'mourning ring' mystery so far feels like it's the most simple one yet.

On another note, I wonder if the show will expand more of Yuri's relationship with Kujou? The episode did show that she felt a bit lonely going to the festival by herself. I think she looks cute in that yutaka though.

And oh yeah, Sakurako needs to get a cell phone lmao. That was funny how they found her as a "child".
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
episode six

Probably my favorite episode so far. It captures the series' brand of sentimentality the best, ties in well to the show's themes, and introduces the first major philosophical kink to the ideas its developed.

Also, there's the whole Sakurako as a lost child joke, which was fantastic.

The show says that the mourning jewelry thing is more common in the West - I wonder where they meant. I've never heard of it in my little slice of said region.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4