• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manglobe Anime Studio Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, that would certainly explain the drop in production quality in Gangsta. ^^;
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This is sad to hear since Manglobe was involved with several of the more interesting shows I've seen. But, like others have noted, interesting and profitable don't always go together.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Guessing this is the Chapter 7 variety of bankruptcy where all the studio's assets get liquidated?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Like I posted yesterday, this sucks for the employees. But I will not miss a studio that was regularly producing garbage.

And why do some people keep saying that Samurai Flamenco is a great anime? Its first 5-6 episodes were genuinely interesting, but after that it became unwatchable shit because the producers did not have a clue about what to do.

SAMURAI FLAMENCO IS NOT A GOOD ANIME.

SIT DOWN

In all seriousness, I think a lot of people watched Samurai Flamenco with the expectation that it was kind of like an anime version of Kick-Ass (or 'realistic superheroes') from the way it was marketed at first. And when the twist in episode 7 happened, people were mad, which I understand. (Kinda like Madoka, except done better.)

But remember, at the end of the day, SF was a show about parodies of the superhero genre and all other 'sub-genres' underneath it. Key word is parody. It was making fun of (and having fun with) superheroes and stuff all along the way. If one couldn't 'have fun with it', then that would take away a lot of the meaning behind the show, IMO.

The ideas and themes behind the show were great, amazing to some people (myself included). But yeah, the presentation (the animation quality is laughable at some points, {but that adds to the charm of the show IMO}) and the execution (some arcs are not quite as interesting as the others or they were too long) were not quite up to par with what we expected. Is it bad? No, not by a long shot. Is it great? Sadly, no. But is it good? Arguably, yes.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
(Ergo Proxy was a collection of ideas rather than the whole picture)

Err.

Narratively Ergo Proxy is a pretty straightforward road movie; it's a sequence of disconnected events with the narrative structure being held up by the development and characterisation of your core cast.

It's actually not that uncommon; Michiko and Hatchin has the exact same structure, and Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy are closely related. Or in literature you can look at classics like Huckeberry Finn or The Hobbit.

It's actually a rather popular structure in prestige or experimental anime projects -- for a lower-quality example you could look at Soul Taker -- because the episodic nature means you can try a variety of styles and treatments.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
NuGaiNM7 wrote:
But remember, at the end of the day, SF was a show about parodies of the superhero genre and all other 'sub-genres' underneath it. Key word is parody.

I don't know about that. Using the word parody is very convenient when trying to justify a lousy work. To me the producers of SM seemed to have wanted to do a serious, non parody work about the meaning of super heroes, but they lost their way after episode 6.

Quote:
The ideas and themes behind the show were great, amazing to some people
I will give you that. The initial premise was strong.

Quote:
(the animation quality is laughable at some points, {but that adds to the charm of the show IMO})

It was not charming to me. It was annoying to me.

Quote:
Is it bad? No, not by a long shot. Is it great? Sadly, no. But is it good? Arguably, yes.

I disagree. The few pluses were not enough to balance out the many minuses and make it a Good show. I rated Samurai Flamenco So-so.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
So I have to wonder... how will this affect their shows here in the US? In particular I'm worried about Michiko and Hatchin. I'm currently watching it as it's airing on Toonami and have plans to purchase it soon; do I have to worry about grabbing the DVDs/Blu-Rays or not completing my viewing because Funi might lose the license? Or will this not affect Funi's license at all and I'll be safe to save up for the release I want (which I'm trying to wait on buying until after I watch the entire series; don't want to get something that I might end up not fully enjoying)?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
In particular I'm worried about Michiko and Hatchin.

I would get it now anyway. I like Michiko and Hatchin, but I don't think it is going to have lasting power. Once it goes out of stock, it may stay that way.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So I have to wonder... how will this affect their shows here in the US? In particular I'm worried about Michiko and Hatchin. I'm currently watching it as it's airing on Toonami and have plans to purchase it soon; do I have to worry about grabbing the DVDs/Blu-Rays or not completing my viewing because Funi might lose the license? Or will this not affect Funi's license at all and I'll be safe to save up for the release I want (which I'm trying to wait on buying until after I watch the entire series; don't want to get something that I might end up not fully enjoying)?

I would guess this wouldn't be an issue for American licensors since they normally deal with Japanese media companies who get rights to broadcast and stream any content they get from animation studios, though I wouldn't take my word on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Narratively Ergo Proxy is a pretty straightforward road movie; it's a sequence of disconnected events with the narrative structure being held up by the development and characterisation of your core cast.

I wasn't talking about narrative structure, rather about ideas, creative team never came up with something that would link the whole show together. As you said, in the end it was straightforward road movie, but is this what creative team aimed for?
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
...anyway Samurai Flamenco was a great anime and it's sad to see a studio like Manglobe that was willing to take risks go under.

I'll give you all the issues with animation quality, but I imagine that was budgetary.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And why do some people keep saying that Samurai Flamenco is a great anime? Its first 5-6 episodes were genuinely interesting, but after that it became unwatchable shit because the producers did not have a clue about what to do.

SAMURAI FLAMENCO IS NOT A GOOD ANIME.

It occurs to me that PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS

And just because you put yours in caps and bolds doesn't make it more correct than others'

The twist in episode 7 was weird, but the final explanation made sense of everything, gave everything cohesion in a bizarre way and was great because it was so dumb and because the show was a parody. I will give that the Power Rangers arc was very weak and the idol girls felt like a waste in the long run, but Masayoshi and Goto were great characters and their relationship worked great even when the show was floundering.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
noobster wrote:
Ergo Proxy was a masterpiece.

More like it was overambitious incoherent mess. I doubt Dai Sato himself understood what the hell he wanted to write. That game show episode was a perfect metaphor for the whole show, it tried to be deep, it dropped philosophical references left and right but in the end all we get was an average piece of dystopian fiction which never realized its true potential.

2Deep4U

That show IS a masterpiece, as long you understand it.

I'll love to see what anime you consider to be a "masterpiece" then.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

FUNimation got the show from Media Factory in Japan so it should be fine.

Same thing goes for Samurai Champloo (Flying Dog), Deadman Wonderland (Kadokawa), Gangsta (Bandai Visual) & other shows Manglobe worked on that have been licensed here.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

2Deep4U

That show IS a masterpiece, as long you understand it.

I'll love to see what anime you consider to be a "masterpiece" then.

Guilstein and Mars of Destruction. I'm totally serious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5