• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chivalry of a Failed Knight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
But is it really ending next episode? What happened to his promised rematch with Stella? Unless this is a mid-season break, as a narrative it would feel strange to end with an Ikki v Touka match considering Stella only had like one good match which was the one with Ikki at the beginning of the show.

That would be the downside of the standard single-season LN adaption.

Ikki and Stella promised to fight in the finals of the big tournament between all seven of the Magic Knight high schools, and Ikki's still fighting his way through the battles that determine who his school's representatives for the big tournament are.

Given that the anime's finishing up Volume 3 of 9, we'll never see it :cry:
AP24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
They will need to make 2-cours to cover the national arc (Vol 4-9). I and some people want to see more especially Vol 9 animated. hehe...
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
I hear a lot of people in other forums and smoe here about the whole "break the MC" schtick being unrealistic, broke their suspension of disbelief and is a "cheap" attempt to garner sympathy for the MC. Just a quick memo: destroying offspring who threaten the family/clan's status quo happens in East Asian families/clans/societies. Yes, it happens(not to me but to a few ethnic Chinese friends/acquaintances I have), maybe not THAT often, but it happens in real life, something that understandably Westerners find a hard time wrapping their heads around.

Perhaps the author is purposely showing everything that could go wrong with this ugly aspect of their culture, along with the classic "absolute power corrupts and corrupts absolutely" adage, what with the Kurogane clan's grip on the whatever-Knight Federation that allows them to get away with ANYTHING.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
For me, it's not about "reality," it's about storytelling, and this is cheap storytelling. If they wanted to portray the family trying to denigrate their son- fine, it's actually been doing a pretty good job of that previously. But this was done montage style in half an episode with art tricks and a silly sniggering bad guy. Was this done in the manga/light novel? I don't know. All I know is that in anime, it's a story telling shortcut acheived with "moody" artwork.

The worst bit for me of the art is not the reds and blacks and Shaft-style framing... it's what they did when they went to the school. It wasn't just muted colors, no, they went with the faux degraded film affect... really? What's the point of inserting fake film scratches? See, right there they went overboard and just plain stupid in their sudden attempt to be arty. Fail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I have one question about the show.

I left after episode 5 due to me getting tired of the characters and antics combined with the teen romance getting on my nerves. In addition, I know about the fight against the sword eater and i'm not sure if that will impress me due to concerns about animation and fight choreography.

So my main question is if the show is worth getting back into after episode 5.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

I left after episode 5 due to me getting tired of the characters and antics combined with the teen romance getting on my nerves. In addition, I know about the fight against the sword eater and i'm not sure if that will impress me due to concerns about animation and fight choreography.

Watch the show of your own volition or read the reviews to know what happened to which you probably didn't from your question. Unless you're asking for someone to help motivate/pressure you into watching it, don't. Watch things based off your own opinion and what you like, not of others' words or whether it's good or bad. Ultimately, this is entertainment, not a competition or critical assessment of the world at large.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
This anime is probably my all time favorite. It has everything I ever wanted in a romantic, action-packed, and nice OST in entertainment (of a high school setting, lol). There's no good or bad sense in it. It doesn't matter if it's not original or done many, many times. It doesn't matter what archetypes are involved because all archetypes are involved in someway of all storytelling from mythological motifs. To put it simply, this anime is like a dream come true for me. A romance I yearn for, an internal conflict/journey of the protagonist in artistic sense, time that never felt wasted or not fun, and a happy ending. Top best/worst and good/bad mean nothing to me.
To reiterate, this anime is probably my all time favorite.

Note: pronouns and this is not a top best listing or whatever so don't derail this into an argument.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:

Watch the show of your own volition or read the reviews to know what happened to which you probably didn't from your question. Unless you're asking for someone to help motivate/pressure you into watching it, don't. Watch things based off your own opinion and what you like, not of others' words or whether it's good or bad. Ultimately, this is entertainment, not a competition or critical assessment of the world at large.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
This anime is probably my all time favorite. It has everything I ever wanted in a romantic, action-packed, and nice OST in entertainment (of a high school setting, lol). There's no good or bad sense in it. It doesn't matter if it's not original or done many, many times. It doesn't matter what archetypes are involved because all archetypes are involved in someway of all storytelling from mythological motifs. To put it simply, this anime is like a dream come true for me. A romance I yearn for, an internal conflict/journey of the protagonist in artistic sense, time that never felt wasted or not fun, and a happy ending. Top best/worst and good/bad mean nothing to me.
To reiterate, this anime is probably my all time favorite.

Note: pronouns and this is not a top best listing or whatever so don't derail this into an argument.

Couldnt said better myself for me this anime a top5 of this year and also ofc one of its best alltime when it comes to action/fantasy/romance genre. The last few episodes were simply amazing and if anyone goes and says that this is just another fantasy harem shizzle i can just go and punch that dude.
WATCH ALL EPISODES THEN JUDGE IT !!!! i have been doing so for every anime no matter if its crap or not what i start i finish because often animes pick up big time in the 2nd half and droping it just because you cant go pass by thoose first few episodes is stupid...
Daniel Dormer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

I found it to be really good but I guess everyone has their own taste
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I cannot remember the last time an anime adaptation of an unfinished light novel series ended so beautifully..

It was deeply satisfying to watch Stella swat that turdball with her flaming sword as she was running towards Ikki. I watched it several times in fact. It was glorious.

And that proposal... man I felt that across my screen... right in the kokoro. The sincerity of this moment outclasses anything in recent memory, something I did not expect from the rather generic way this series started.

The last bit of dialogue at the end was perfection.

Ending = 10/10

Overall series = 8.5/10 + Crossing fingers for S2
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Couldnt said better myself for me this anime a top5 of this year and also ofc one of its best alltime when it comes to action/fantasy/romance genre. The last few episodes were simply amazing and if anyone goes and says that this is just another fantasy harem shizzle i can just go and punch that dude.
WATCH ALL EPISODES THEN JUDGE IT !!!! i have been doing so for every anime no matter if its crap or not what i start i finish because often animes pick up big time in the 2nd half and droping it just because you can't go pass by thoose first few episodes is stupid...

He's not wrong for dropping it. As I said, this is ultimately entertainment. If you're not entertained then why continue watching? And if the show does pick up and become better then just read the reviews for a rundown of it. After that, watch it all and if it still wasn't entertaining then you can say, "That was a waste of time," and move on.
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Even though it won't change the final grade I'll give this anime, I certainly liked this finale and I also hope that there's another season (this one deserves it as much as Asterisk). Hopefully it will sell lots of BD copies or increases the LN sales.
Kidpolly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
really love the series =D
9/10
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
I was going to give this an 8/10 but those last 5 minutes i had to give it a 9...HAHA one of the best of the fall.

Also i am happy to see so many comments saying that this series is far better than they thought it would be ...even those who find it bad admit..it is far better than most other battle tournament, ecchi, romance series.

The key ingredients that makes this series far better than the rest are: The Romance Development, The Character Development and breaking a lot of the genre's cliche.

I am doing my part and getting this when Sentai releases it...i hope it does get a S2 but if not i am happy with this as it ended a lot more conclusive than most other Light Novels adaptation even if they ended just before the actual tournament starts....i mean cmon you have LN that take the whole course of the series just to have them hook up...let alone a proposal. at the very least i hope the LN gets official translated.

9/10 i would give it the Title of Greatest Dark Horse of 2015. this is my opinion ok.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:49 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Also i am happy to see so many comments saying that this series is far better than they thought it would be ...even those who find it bad admit..it is far better than most other battle tournament, ecchi, romance series.

I think it's as good as I thought it was going to be at the start: better than average, but not by much. There were abysmal moments that kind of undermined the good ones, and the cheesiness of this last episode for instance just kept bugging me and kept me from enjoying it that much (I mean, fat guy just waltz into the stage with a weapon with the intention of killing the winner, nobody stops him? They all just watch?). Battle tournament wise, the first battle and Shizuku's were pretty cool, all the other ones I found to be pretty standard (the ones we saw, anyway, since there were probably more interesting match-ups we could've gotten but this is a story about Ikki, not Stella or Alice). Ecchi was alright mostly because Stella was in on it most of the time and not "MC falls on girl, grabs breast, gets slapped", but Toda's panty shot, for instance, was just eye-rolling. The dialogue between Shizuku and Stella was awful all of the time, and it almost always came while Stella was trying to have tender moments with Ikki, so a lot of those got ruined.

The one thing I can say this has above many other similar titles is that apart from the cardboard villain in this last arc there wasn't really anyone I thought was badly written or just wanted out of the show. Every character was pretty endearing, if sometimes a bit annoying.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
I would have enjoyed this series a whole lot more if it had dispensed with most of the fan service and the bro-con, and had been more like the last two episodes, as melodramatic as they were (I do love me some angst). But it didn't, it wasn't and so I'm left feeling pretty meh about it overall. It does get my props for the last two episodes and Alice though. Smile I'd rather see another season of this than Asterisk, which I'll probably not continue with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8