• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Newtype rankings for the month are out. Hayate is #2 on the male side, while on the female side Freyja is #3 and Kaname is #7.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
So far what do you guys think of the VF-31? I like the design, very reminiscent to the real world Su-47 Berkut. fast and agile.

But so far it doesn't look to be too customizable, only in that one episode when they were fighting in that asteroid field did they had those big woofer mounted, much like the sound force in 7. Aside from that there is no fast/armor pack yet. It doesn't seem to use the VF's signature micro missiles a lot, instead relying on the wrist mounted machine gun most of the time. Although it does have that one beam gun externally mounted, and carrying a compliment of those fold amplifier for walkure.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
To be perfectly honest all VFs look alike to me. Nothing about them strike me as particularly memorable unlike any given Gundam. Personally I like the designs of Destroids more.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
To me, the Su-47 will always remind me of the the YF-19 rather than the VF-31, especially considering that Macross Plus was released around the time that the existence of the S-37 (what the Su-47 was originally known as) had been revealed.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Imagine my surprise when I found out that the VF-31 was just a mass-produced version of the YF-30. It just doesn't seem right for the main characters to be flying mass-produced unit, something usually reserved for those faceless pilots that gets killed in 3 seconds with it (although those pilots from Alpha seems to be a lot better than your average pilots) Like in Frontier, when they just developed the anti-Vajira weapons and mounted on the VF-171EX, Alto used it for a brief moment and commented on how its a makeshift unit, despite his considerable piloting skill, his plane wasn't a match to the superior VF-27.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
It's really no different than all of the pilots in the original Macross flying VF-1 Valkyries.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
I honestly thought that they were flying the same thing in Delta as they were in Frontier... But I do think that the VFs are really cool, they are one of the few mecha designs (are they considered mechas?) that I actually like. I'm not a big fan of Gundams or even mechas in general. Too often in those shows it's a matter of who has the better unit instead of who is the better pilot. I'm glad that is not the case here, I think. Mechas can get a bit too ridiculous at times like those that wield scythes or axes or something.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
Yes, the variable fighters in Macross are mecha. It is pretty easy to mistake the fighters in Delta for the ones from Frontier considering that both are derived from a prototype called the YF-24 (the YF-30 is also derived from the 24).
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
What is the plural for mecha btw? Is it mecha or mechas? Or are they both valid? Quick googling gave me slightly mixed results. I think "mecha" seems to be the proper one. I think I'll use that one from now on.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
What is the plural for mecha btw? Is it mecha or mechas? Or are they both valid? Quick googling gave me slightly mixed results. I think "mecha" seems to be the proper one. I think I'll use that one from now on.

In the Macross universe, if they are transforming fighters they should be referred to as VFs (variable fighters)

In Gundam the short term would be MS (mobile suits) and Muv Luv it is TSF (Tactical Surface Fighter), any series trying to make a personalized sense about there mass produced giant robots come out with an in universe term to avoid overgeneralized lexicon.

...and it would be Mecha for the plural.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
In the Macross universe, if they are transforming fighters they should be referred to as VFs (variable fighters)

Don't you mean Veritech? Wink
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

From what I've seen, it's also acceptable to use Valkyrie as a generic name for any variable fighter.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
It happens. Roller Blades and Kleenex? Those are brand names but they're widely used to describe any kind of inline skates and facial tissue.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote
On an another note, I've really fallen for the 2nd ending. I don't anything about musical instruments, but whatever that wind instrument (I think it's a wind instrument? Maybe?) in that ending theme is I love it. I think I now like this new one better than the first one.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Man, Mirage's chances keep going down the shitter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 20