• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Silly Pieces of Weaponry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

11. Elizabeth (Gintama)
[...]
16. Sadaharu (Gintama)

Oh no, not again!! Laughing

I wish there was a new Ranma 1/2 fighting game just so I can smack people with Ukyo's Giant Spatula. Her weapon was the most fun and creative compared to other weapons like Ryouga's Umbrella.

Assassination Classroom would be great for the first shounen manga for kids since it feels deals with the same frustrations of going to school but no one expects much out of you except your bizarre looking teacher who goes on trips all the time. The whole "kill your teacher to improve yourself" aspect might be taken too literally for some readers however. -__-;

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Personally, I think the best show to introduce younger kids to anime is Hunter x Hunter, but I suppose if I've gotta pick a Shonen Jump property, One Piece is going to be the one. It really covers all of the bases and has a lot of really interesting story arcs. And even more important, it manages to never feel boring to me, unlike DBZ and many of the other ones. I'd pick Death Note for slightly older audiences, but I don't think a lot of 10-12 year old kids would really be able to get into that with the amount of dialogue it has.

Hate to be breaking this bad news to you, but HunterXHunter IS a Shonen Jump property.

Well, shit. I guess that's good news then. Not sure why I continuously screw that up.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Surprising that Kiddy Grade's lipstick weapon didn't make the list.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:

Hate to be breaking this bad news to you, but HunterXHunter IS a Shonen Jump property.

Well, shit. I guess that's good news then. Not sure why I continuously screw that up.

Yeah, I mean it was made by the same guy who made Yu Yu Hakusho, which was also in Shounen Jump. I'm not sure if many people know that, though. Not to be mean or anything.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
We got some Buso Renkin love here. I need to sit down and watch that show again, but only this time I finish it.

So Kill la Kill didn't make the list for insane "scissors".

I love the ROD series as a whole. The whole concept of paper as a weapon was really cool.

Yes, the wet towel weapon, damn I forgot about that.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I must confess that that I have always had a soft spot in my heart for R.O.D.'s Yomiko "The Paper" Readman.

FireballDragon wrote:

Though I believe pretty much EVERYONE in America was introduced to anime through Dragon Ball.
Then you can count me as one of those few who weren't.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Yeah, I mean it was made by the same guy who made Yu Yu Hakusho, which was also in Shounen Jump. I'm not sure if many people know that, though. Not to be mean or anything.

Lol, I didn't think anyone was being mean to me. I made a mistake. I even forgot that it was by Togashi. I'm more disappointed in myself than anything else, to be honest. Crying or Very sad

I've been trying to do too much research and remember too many things these days. I should probably slow down a little.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
Pikachu? Pickachu???? Ryo-oh-ki was robbed!

Not only is she an incredibly cute cabbit (as anyone who has seen my plush can attest), but she also has an incredibly cute humanoid child form (plus a cute adult form only seen once) and a cute spaceship form. Triple the cuteness!

I can only put it down to Tenchi not being as well known these days.

I'm (happily) surprised it came in third. I wasn't expected many people to know her, though I believe there are a lot of older fans here. She got my vote anyway!
Kero and Pikachu are also good choices. Pikachu probably has an edge being from a video game to get that vote, not to mention an extremely popular one millions of kids grew up with.

It depends on the age of the kid, but I voted for Dr. Slump as that's mostly harmless humor without any bloody violence or fan service.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
I can't believe Shao Mei got shut out. Are FMA and pandas totally passe now?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I would have put Gon's fishing pole in at #8. Smile

Hunter x Hunter can make a top 10 all by itself. The main characters use a fishing rod, weighted yo-yos, sleeve chains, and a table. Supporting characters wield a piano, bank interest, a birdcage, a smoking pipe, a storage closet, coins, haiku poetry, fleas, and two gorillas. Enemies and adversaries have weaponized volleyballs, a book, chewing gum (well, life force modified to have the consistency of chewing gum), a cell phone, a surfboard, an iPod (Classic), an entire savannah, spinning tops, an armored umbrella, a vacuum cleaner, a darts set, and Gustav Holst's Planet Suite. The first anime also gave an extra those extendable boxing gloves you'd see in cartoons, only this one punches holes right through walls.

And even when the weapons look pretty normal, they turn out not to be, like one character's missile launcher actually functioning more as a lie detector.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
I'll also throw in a mention for the hilarious array of virtual weaponry used by the Hackers Club and the girls in Dennou Coil episode four.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'll also throw in a mention for the hilarious array of virtual weaponry used by the Hackers Club and the girls in Dennou Coil episode four.

Give it up for the Hackers Club. We got some Dennou Coil love up in hur.

Oh come on will someone please release the goddamn show already. I'm not getting any younger!!!! GRRRRR!!!!
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Though I believe pretty much EVERYONE in America was introduced to anime through Dragon Ball.

My first anime was Cream Lemon. No, I'm not joking.

(You're all so young. It's kind of cute, really.)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
wastrel--
You should compare notes with Alan45 -- he's no Spring chicken, either!
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
This thread makes me think fondly back on a couple of interviews that the Anime World Order crew did with the Old Farts of Anime from the Philadelphia Animation Society. Those guys were already in their 50s or something when DBZ was airing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3