• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Silly Pieces of Weaponry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
My first anime was Cream Lemon. No, I'm not joking.

(You're all so young. It's kind of cute, really.)

Hmph. My first was Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato), unless you count Speed Racer, but I didn't really follow that one very closely. I watched Star Blazers every morning when I could (it came on at 7AM) before going to school.

I did like Gon's fishing pole, but still... nothing beats a Rickenbacker bass guitar. Razz
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I'll also throw in a mention for the hilarious array of virtual weaponry used by the Hackers Club and the girls in Dennou Coil episode four.

Give it up for the Hackers Club. We got some Dennou Coil love up in hur.

Oh come on will someone please release the goddamn show already. I'm not getting any younger!!!! GRRRRR!!!!

I've been tempted to buy the Siren Visual release even though I don't have a device that plays Region 4 DVDs. I did buy the soundtrack album when the show aired which was the only thing I could afford; it cost about as much as Siren's release! I could buy the JP Blu-rays, but I can't really bring myself to spend $300 on a release without even English subtitles.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
wastrel wrote:
My first anime was Cream Lemon. No, I'm not joking.

(You're all so young. It's kind of cute, really.)

Hmph. My first was Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato), unless you count Speed Racer, but I didn't really follow that one very closely. I watched Star Blazers every morning when I could (it came on at 7AM) before going to school.

Sounds like you're in pretty much the same age bracket as me. Kimba the White Lion was technically my first (when I was very young) but from around the age of 10 I had Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman); Star Blazers; Voltron (both vehicle and lion); Mysterious Cities of Gold; and then Robotech which was the first where I knew it was actually anime.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Give it up for the Hackers Club. We got some Dennou Coil love up in hur.

Oh come on will someone please release the goddamn show already. I'm not getting any younger!!!! GRRRRR!!!!

I've been tempted to buy the Siren Visual release even though I don't have a device that plays Region 4 DVDs. I did buy the soundtrack album when the show aired which was the only thing I could afford; it cost about as much as Siren's release! I could buy the JP Blu-rays, but I can't really bring myself to spend $300 on a release without even English subtitles.

Most any stand-alone DVD player can be made multi-region with a remote control hack. Go to the DVD hacks section on videohelp.com
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:

Kimba the White Lion was technically my first (when I was very young) but from around the age of 10 I had Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman); Star Blazers; Voltron (both vehicle and lion); Mysterious Cities of Gold; and then Robotech which was the first where I knew it was actually anime.

Voltes V?

Trypticon wrote:

I'm more partial to the weapon Aldra adopts on Queen's Blade Rebellion.

She's been pre-empted

tcdelaney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
tcdelaney wrote:

Kimba the White Lion was technically my first (when I was very young) but from around the age of 10 I had Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman); Star Blazers; Voltron (both vehicle and lion); Mysterious Cities of Gold; and then Robotech which was the first where I knew it was actually anime.

Voltes V?

Had to look it up, and whilst the images are familiar I can't say for sure that I ever saw it. I would have been 5 (or less) when ABC was showing Kimba - I know because I remember watching it in my first home on a monochrome TV.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Kyuubey a cute Mascot? and in the top 5 at that

That thing i would feel more comfortable was placed in a pot of burning oil. Anime hyper

ah no duh. that thing shouldnt even sniff this list. while i definitely wasnt surprised that pikachu was number 1 and ryo-oki cracked the top three, this is one that needs to be rechecked cause that thing is anything but. i would put kerro gunso (sgt frog) or yuuno (in his animal form) from nanoha season 1. hell i would rather have the perverted ermine pet of negi's chammo in this list instead of that thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

The DVDs (it was originally only available on DVD) cost 70,200 yen which is about double the amount (at today's rates, I don't have the patience to try and figure out what it was back then). I would be bitter if it weren't for the storyboard books.
I regret never picking up the soundtrack though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3