• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Did Westerners Always Call It Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Anime is in interresting place right now because the youth doesnt watch TV as much.

Also the term "anime" is thrown around frequently on German TV with the anime block (even on something like Pokemon). Kids look it up and they find out about it...

But still English is the world language. Even if the US never had anything beyond kids anime, the internet alone would expose Anime so much that legal alternatives would be abound.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of when Freddie Prince Jr. called it "Japanimation" and there was such a huge backlash from it he ended up making an apology video.
jelabarre59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Who actually coined the phrase when is of some contention. The most common answer I've been given is "Rob Fenelon did it" though when I interviewed Rob in 2008 (EDIT: I'm having periodic trouble with the blog hosting but the hosting for the show itself is solid; here is the direct download link if you got an error on the other one), he notes that while he was indeed someone who proposed the term, the organic conclusion of "it's from Japan and it's animation, so we can call it Japanimation" came about independently by several different people across the country at roughly the same time.

I seem to remember it was Robert Fenelon who had to challenge the usage of "japanimation" in some convention publication at Lunacon. He was concerned that Japanese media executives would take offence to the term, thus making it harder to get shows and movies for the anime room (I think by then they had stopped calling it the "Starblazers Room"). The convention chair posted a formal apology in the convention newsletter, which would constitute correct protocol if it was necessary. This was before widespread availability over the web (probably before DVD).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Similar to Lance's blog, the 6/10/10 Colony Drop blog article, "HISTORY’S STRONGEST DISCIPLE: ANIMAG ADVERTISEMENTS, 1987 – 1990" features old-school adds for dubbed and subbed anime on VHS and laser disc. "Japanimation" and "Japanese animation" are both mentioned.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I remember "Japanimation". There were some early/mid 90s kids blocks that used that term. On a positive note, seeing that term made me aware that a lot of stuff I liked as a kid and just thought of as a standard american cartoon was actually Japanese.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Anime was anime by the time I got into it, though I did discover this anime webstore called Joy's Japanamation when I first got interested in the stuff. Apparently, they have an actual physical store and are still in business: http://www.[This URL is a known Bootlegging website]/
smatster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
This reminds me of when Freddie Prince Jr. called it "Japanimation" and there was such a huge backlash from it he ended up making an apology video.

His last name in Prinze.
Georgio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
In my high school, people just called them "fucked up Chinese cartoons" lol
CyrusGold

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CPM eventually came up with the term "Japanimation." Fans never liked it.

I don't recall having an issue with it. Japanimation was the term at the time. Anime is the currently accepted term.

Que sera, sera for lyfe.
Kobalt7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
While i cannot fault his attempted research because documentation is sparse, you are correct in that nobody really cared that it was called "japanimation" for a good decade before the term "anime" was picked up. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and was obsessed with animation, which is around that time the term "japanimation" was coined to describe animation coming out of japan which had a specific style during that time, which was the term everyone stuck with until the early 90s. In short CPM did not coin the term "japanimation", that was done by video reviewers around early to mid 80s. I watched the changeover to the term "anime" and CPM had nothing to do with it, instead it was always the term to refer to animation in japanese and fangroups picked it up and started to refer to anime like the japanese did as it became more widespread, at the time I think the general consensus of fans felt japanimation as a western term felt restrictive and reductive.

Last edited by Kobalt7 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:13 pm Reply with quote
CPM was definitely not the first to use the term "Japanimation". I first saw the term get used in a 1985 or so issue of Starlog Magazine in a multi-part article on Japanese animation right around when Robotech was airing.
Kobalt7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:30 pm Reply with quote
you are correct, "Japanimation" was coined by a video reviewer around the time robotech aired on television in the US to refer to the unique style the animation had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6