• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
On the white blood thing, I figured that it could turn a smoke monster into a kabaneri and a kabaneri back human, like a vaccine to the kabane virus. I'd thought that Biba's men gave him one in case he was bitten, but it was probably to suppress his virus if he ever had to overdo it.

Wasn't expecting him to save Ikoma with it though; I figured that Ikoma or Mumei would have to loot the body.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Simply awful. It's mostly because of Biba and how poorly they handled him as a villain which made the series ever since his introduction feel like a chore to watch. Still I couldn't wait to get done with this crap since there wasn't a single character I wanted to root for.

*sigh* What a waste of character designs Crying or Very sad

Interview with the director wrote:
Araki: Of course! It’s basically the same team as we had for Guilty Crown, and we’re taking everything that helped surpass expectations from that experience. On the other hand, personally I felt that there were some things lacking. There were a few things I felt I could have done better, and I wanted another chance. There’s no question that with Kabaneri I have a chance to improve.

Heh if Araki thinks he did better this time then he's wrong. Guilty Crown was better than this in every way despite being a trainwreck. It was at the very least entertaining, had memorable OSTs and the production values remained consistent until the very end (Something which WIT studio is incapable of).
Azumi14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I really like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. The show always had me guessing what going to happen next and the suspense was just right. One question spoiler[did Ikoma and Mumei become human at the end?] thanks
jroa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoyed the season finale, because that's literally what they appear to be going for rather than a truly conclusive ending for this fictional universe, and didn't find anything particularly hard to understand.

The show could have taken certain things in a better direction these past few episodes (Mumei) and there was a need to slow down in order to present Biba in a more credible manner before making him go crazy with violence and destruction, that's absolutely true, yet, I think this was a decent outcome that also connected to some of the ideas that were presented much earlier in the series. Even Ayame also showed some personal growth too, regardless of how limited her presence had been lately.

Admittedly, the episode did, like Valhern mentioned, tend to rely on conveniently moving characters rather quickly from one place to another during certain sequences, but that doesn't make the situations themselves illogical. Speaking of which...to answer one of Valhren's questions, Biba shot Ikoma with the white plasma right when he was already on the ground. Compare the visual effect of that shot with Ikoma using the same liquid on Mumei in the other scene. It's green-blue in both cases.

I'd find it hard to appreciate Biba as a character myself, given his craziness and inclination for gratuitous murder, but in retrospect, I can see what they were going for with him. I wouldn't say Biba necessarily loved or hated Ikoma though. It's more like he gained some admiration for his ability to remain fearless and willingness to sacrifice his life for Mumei's sake. Honestly, you could even argue Biba saw Ikoma as stronger than him, especially in the face of his own cowardice and fear. Considering Biba himself had absolutely nothing else to live for, after killing his dad and engaging in an endless orgy of pointless destruction, wanting to die in a final duel with Ikoma doesn't sound too bad. But the real treat was that Mumei went back to her better self and managed to pull off the killing blow.

What to think of this show? It didn't really meet some of the huge expectations certain fans had, because it obviously didn't match or exceed Attack on Titan in scope or worldbuilding, but I think it did work as a very watchable spectacle with a few writing/pacing missteps yet also a few positive character traits lurking beneath the stereotypes. If nothing else, it's significantly better than Guilty Crown in most areas and that was my main expectation, rather than hoping it would become some sort of masterpiece in terms of storytelling or character development. Nope, the show was too dumb for that, but you know what? I can easily deal with this level of dumbness in my action blockbusters.

Pierrot. wrote:
Heh if Araki thinks he did better this time then he's wrong. Guilty Crown was better than this in every way despite being a trainwreck. It was at the very least entertaining, had memorable OSTs and the production values remained consistent until the very end (Something which WIT studio is incapable of).

It's to be expected, given you were already disliking the show for quite a while, but I definitely can't agree with that statement. On the contrary, I'd argue Araki did improve on his previous original work. For one thing, I never found myself nearly as bored with Kabaneri as I did with Guilty Crown. For another, I vastly prefer the two leads in this show. I thought the OST quality wasn't all that different, but then again that's Sawano for you! Production values were less consistent yet still pretty good by the standards of weekly anime.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the finale for Kabaneri.

Most of all for the character and thematic solutions (especially Hozumi/Mumei).
It all looked great, too. I mean, there's very little solution in terms of plot, but in the end it wasn't about what was in the basement. That wasn't what mattered.

In terms of current in-the-moment final impressions, I think Kabaneri as a whole was a solid, even if occasionally dumb action and adventure series, it had those stupid elements since the start, so it all felt in line to me, it also never pretended to be what it wasn't an was extremely sincere. I don't agree with people calling it a trainwreck.

It doesn't have the sexism (terrible portrayal of female characters), gross incest twist and tryhard attitude Guilty Crown had, either (from the portion of the series I saw), so it's definitely A LOT better than that work and some of his others which I've dropped after the first or the first few episodes.

In the end, it's also it's own series with it's own voice despite it's inspirations from Attack On Titan.

Last edited by Pipoko on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Probably the best anime of the season.

I have to see a 2nd series.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Admittedly, the episode did, like Valhern mentioned, tend to rely on conveniently moving characters rather quickly from one place to another during certain sequences, but that doesn't make the situations themselves illogical. Speaking of which...to answer one of Valhren's questions, Biba shot Ikoma with the white plasma right when he was already on the ground. Compare the visual effect of that shot with Ikoma using the same liquid on Mumei in the other scene. It's green-blue in both cases.

Ah, you're right on that one. This anime being subtle is probably the least I would expect from it so I didn't bother checking that. It still doesn't make much sense, since if Biba shot Ikoma was for him to get up and fight again, instead of actually having a change of heart.

To me they are more jarring than illogical, I mean, it's not as if they can't get there, it's how transition-less it feels.

Last edited by Valhern on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the finale for Kabaneri.

Most of all for the character and thematic solutions (especially Hozumi/Mumei).
It all looked great, too. I mean, there's very little solution in terms of plot, but in the end it wasn't about what was in the basement. That wwasn't what mattered.

In terms of current in-the-moment final impressions, I think Kabaneri as a whole was a solid, even if occasionally dumb action and adventure series, it had those stupid elements since the start, so it all felt in line to me, it also never pretended to be what it wasn't an was extremely sincere. I don't agree with people calling it a trainwreck.

It doesn't have the sexism (terrible portrayal of female characters), gross incest twist and tryhard attitude Guilty Crown had, either (from the portion of the series I saw), so it's definitely A LOT better than that work and some of his others which I've dropped after the first or the first few episodes.

In the end, it's also it's own series with it's own voice despite it's inspirations from Attack On Titan.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who was sorely disappointed in the finale? Like, even certain moments that should have been awesome (spoiler[such as Mumei killing Biba]) just didn't work for me because the story fell into so many tropes I hoped it would avoid (like the aforementioned "humans are the ~real~ monsters", lol I guess the killer zombies were just set dressing then!) that I just couldn't bring myself to care by that point.

We never learned what was up with that glowing rock (I'm sorry "it was a rock I found in the river" doesn't cut it), and there were a ton of other loose ends that I think should have been resolved much more than they were.

Even if it was visually stunning, I don't think having the story go as far downhill as it did really constitutes an "A-" rating honestly. If people enjoyed it, that's cool I guess, but personally I expected better.

That said it did still have some good moments, and Mumei tossing Ikoma onto the train was hilarious.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
This series was great to me..Yes it had some flaws but I liked it..I wish it was longer so that it wasnt rushed and needs more character development! I hope there's a second season! We still dont know how they be turning into Kabanes!
Merengues.Pop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:
Am I the only one who was sorely disappointed in the finale? Like, even certain moments that should have been awesome (spoiler[such as Mumei killing Biba]) just didn't work for me because the story fell into so many tropes I hoped it would avoid (like the aforementioned "humans are the ~real~ monsters", lol I guess the killer zombies were just set dressing then!) that I just couldn't bring myself to care by that point.

Even if it was visually stunning, I don't think having the story go as far downhill as it did really constitutes an "A-" rating honestly. If people enjoyed it, that's cool I guess, but personally I expected better.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this. A good finale must address all loose threads and develop a sense of conclusion instead of just finishing just closing the door on your face. In no way, this mess could be worth of an A- rating.

Bear with me, I don't outright dislike the series, after all I kept with it for 12 weeks, but there are a lot of plot holes, unfinished business, and overall Kabaneri never did separate itself; I just can't see any uniqueness or identity to Kabaneri but maybe another shot to the trainwreck of Guilty Crown and in the way taking way too much inspiration maybe unwittingly from Metro and Snowpiercer without ever improving anything at all.

I was like "Was that it?" UBW used three whole episodes to an overplayed, repetitive and boring fight between the protagonist and antagonist, and the final boss fight here unceremoniously ended in the blink of an eye in a predictable way... also Mumei, you pretty much wrecked a city and committed genocide, unwittingly or not, her reaction being just smiling and go back as if nothing happened was just dumb.

I understand people that like Kabaneri, but seriously, in no way I can understand anyone who is not a newbie to anime or science fiction in any form to really call this a great show. I'll likely forget it before the year ends.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, Pipoko.

Shirohae wrote:
This series was great to me..Yes it had some flaws but I liked it..I wish it was longer so that it wasnt rushed and needs more character development! I hope there's a second season! We still dont know how they be turning into Kabanes!

Same here, I enjoyed the hell out of this show even with its flaws (and some rushing due to run length) and that was an amazing and gorgeously animated finale and like the review pointed out I really liked the solutions for the characters.

Araki really nailed it with this and AoT, I really hope this gets a second series.
nubguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I am so excited about Kabaneri getting a Bluray release from Crunchyroll. The dub is going to be so awesome!
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
This shows review set has to be the all time reference point for an exponential difference in opinion between the person doing the review and the people commenting on it and the show in the comment section for it. At least that I've seen.

This show is just the latest iteration in what I've come to refer to as the Aniplex Hype Show of the season. Everyone season they seem to run at least one show out of one studio that seems to be designed with the sole purpose of pumping people with as much IMO blind empty hype and their "favorite people" (or at least the ones that are marketed as such IMO quite successfully) as possible but that clearly never has any sort of plans to come together as anything more than the sum of it's parts. They always have a lot of really popular people that are known for having made "hits", they love to use cliffhangers at the end of the episode, they love to have characters with increasingly noticeable inconsistent characterization and at the end of them people always seem to end up split into camps that feel it was either the blockbuster showcase of the season or who feel very frustrated and betrayed by it wasting their time. The craziest part is nobody seems to have noticed this pattern in English speaking communities but it gets talked about all the time in Japanese ones as "Stema" or shows that aim to succeed based on STEalth MArketing tactics and persuasion.

Next season you can already tell the Aniplex Hype Show is going to be Qualidea Code out of A-1 Pictures so I expect the same pattern of "Holy shit greatest show ever" for the first couple episodes followed by steadily increased fan discontent in the second half of it's run.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
This shows review set has to be the all time reference point for an exponential difference in opinion between the person doing the review and the people commenting on it and the show in the comment section for it. At least that I've seen.

People tend to be more motivated to comment about things they don't like, so I suppose your point is valid. But if 4s are As and 3s are Bs, Jacob's grades and the community scores pretty much followed each other throughout the series except for Jacob's slightly lower rating than the pack for episode 7 (reversed for episode 8) and parting ways on the finale. So it looks to me like the overall consensus was that Jacob wasn't alone in his opinions, even if many of those who actually commented disagree.

EP_JHC__CS
1-2 _A+__4.5
3___A- __4.2
4-5 _A__4.4-4.3
6___A ___4.4
7___B+ __4.1
8___A+ __4.1
9___B-___3.2
10__B ___3.5
11 __B___3.5
12 __A- __3.6
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20