• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Offers 2015 Charlotte Anime on English-Dubbed Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Let's watch the soap boxing on the pricing and whether it has a dub or not. Some of you go into every Aniplex thread and harp on the same point time after time. It's getting tiresome.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
What I believe is wrong with that is that these dubs costs a lot of money that could've been spent elsewhere like reproducing various extras or even producing new extras with the anime staff. But this is just what Aniplex does; experiment. Hopefully it won't be long lasting.

And seeing how other regions can get extras that are in the Japanese releases but not in the AoA ones i certainly wouldn't put the blame on AoJ as much as I would on budgeting. In addition to that it's actually quite rare to see AoA releases pop up in Japan, in comparison to Funi/Sentai releases, so reverse-importation can't be that much of a fear for AoA releases anymore.

The problem with that theory is that unlike North America, no other western region shares the same region code as Japan so its of little consequence to them to allow the license of those extras for the same reason as why titles like SAO, KLK, Fate etc... all AoA titles are much much cheaper in other regions. The reason why AoA titles aren't so common in Japan is that every authorized seller of AoA has restricted purchase of AoA titles to only those in North America, of course there are ways to get around that but that can be said about anything, Sentai/Funi have no such restrictions. Regardless of how us westerners feel about Japan's paranoid views on reverse importation it is a VERY prominent thing in Japan especially for AoJ, and since AoA is a subsidiary of AoJ and fears AoJ has will of course be shared with AoA as well.

Like relyat08 said as well the quality/content of AoA releases has been going downhill a bit compared to years past. The use of chipboard has highly been reduced to only super popular series like Fate/SAO, physical extras are sparse and on disk content as well. Further evidence to support my stance look at many of AoA's sub only releases, especially the later Monogatari series releases, a HUGELY popular and very profitable series for AoA that no extra budget has been used to dub and they have just as few extras as well limited to essentially just Textless Op/ED and as lacking packaging. It has very little to due with budgets and everything to do with Japans restrictions getting tighter and tighter that companies like Funi/Sentai don't have to deal with because they have no ownership company in Japan but something AoA has to because they are a subsidiary of AoJ. As much as I would love AoA to work on new extras, asking for AoJ to allow AoA to develop new extras with the anime staff that wouldn't be in the Japanese release which is what AoJ mostly cares about and would be sold for half the price of their releases is a pipe dream, AoJ would never allow it. For as long as AoA's LE prices are half the price of AoJ's, AoA's LE's will forever be banned from "being equal" to the AoJ counterpart.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Between this and the Asterisk War dub, I'm really excited for AoA's new efforts into this arena. Both sound great overall, but this one pretty much has the whole package going for it with the dub. Everyone sounds great and having Lucien Dodge in the cast is always a plus.

Now, with this new found return to dubbing for AoA, could a late dub of Irregular at Magic High School come up? Please, for me? That or one for How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend?
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Happy with this news, now to hope someone in Australia licensed it for disc release.
Well yes, someone already has. Madman have it. I've found that if a show is on Animelab then it's pretty much a given that Madman has the physical rights unless it's a situation like UBW where Hanabee managed to nab the physical rights before they got to it or something like Durarara or The Devil is a Part Timer where they worked with Siren Visual.

While it is safe to assume this, I still need that official confirmation. Laughing

So far, I've not needed to import an AoA release. While that's changing with the final Wagnaria season...I would like to keep it at that. Laughing
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
They basically sell for near Japanese market prices. It does reduce concerns about reverse importation and thus results in less delay or DVD only releases. (Reverse imports definitely happen, as browsing or buying suggestions from Amazon.jp will show.)

Actually, they only sell near the Japanese prices when they're releasing the same thing that's being released in Japan (which they have done with a number of titles). If they're doing a dub, then their prices are far lower. Instead of something like $300 - $400 for 12 or 13 episodes, you end up paying more like $150. So, yes, their prices are far higher than what's currently typical of the US anime market, but they're definitely not as bad as they are in Japan.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, I was really expecting this dub to sound terrible. Pleasantly surprised! Especially as I thoroughly enjoyed and fell in love with everything about the original Japanese production.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3