• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Alderamin on the Sky

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
Damn, is this really only going to be 13 episodes? It feels like the story only just barely begun, but we only have five episodes left.
Better get a second season, or at least toss us some translated light novels.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also don't see what the problem is in him having researched or invented such a wide array of things. Being a master of many disciplines was actually a common thing among the great minds of our 16th and 17th centuries; just look at everything that Leonardo Da Vinci came up with, for instance.

But to me, DaVinci is a great example of the difference between "conceptual" science and "practical" application. HG Wells and the writers of Star Trek are great example of people that came up with clever ideas that someone ELSE later came and implemented. Likewise, Da Vinci had a large number of things that were not really applicable in the technology of his time. To me, it'd be one thing if we were clear that the scientist came up with many THEORIES and Ikta and his friends found ways of APPLYING them. But the show is pretty clear that he defected in order to share his WEALTH of information to make both sides "equal".

Even Einstein has a number of aspects of relativity that scientists NOW are saying "Einstein was right about X". It's well and good to say many people are able to figure things out well ahead of their time in the abstract, but it really is an EXTENSIVE meshing of skills and knowledge to make practical APPLICATION of those things.

Personally, I also really wonder about what exactly the spirit things... "do". Part of why scientific discovery advances in the way it does is because we don't have functional "magic". If you could make things explode with a magical spell, would we have bothered looking into the chemistry behind TNT and stronger explosives? We have zero indication that they can shoot magical "lasers" but if they could, then rifling is pointless. It seems like the little things replace gunpowder and can create water, what else do they do?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
It's well and good to say many people are able to figure things out well ahead of their time in the abstract, but it really is an EXTENSIVE meshing of skills and knowledge to make practical APPLICATION of those things.

How about Ben Franklin or Michael Faraday then? Smile Those guys are a combination of both - working out/discovering things, and finding practical applications themselves or others doing so later on.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Personally, I also really wonder about what exactly the spirit things... "do". Part of why scientific discovery advances in the way it does is because we don't have functional "magic". If you could make things explode with a magical spell, would we have bothered looking into the chemistry behind TNT and stronger explosives? We have zero indication that they can shoot magical "lasers" but if they could, then rifling is pointless. It seems like the little things replace gunpowder and can create water, what else do they do?

Oh, I fully agree that the spirits may be the key to why science hasn't really been a "thing" before.

Helociraptor: Yes, I have seen some references which indicate that German gunsmiths played a key role in making rifled guns practical on the American frontier, so it doesn't surprise me that the widespread military practice may have started in Germany. But those gunsmiths are documented to have been living in America (Pennsylvania, I think?) well before the Revolutionary War, so the war definitely didn't introduce such guns to the Americans; they had them to start. But yes, you are definitely correct about where the word "sharpshooter" is believed to have originated from.

EDIT: The word "German" was missing in one key place.

Last edited by Key on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Japanese history might play some role in the structure of Alderamin.

Japan certainly faced a period when the decision was between traditional cultural and political norms or acceptance of Western practices, particularly science. The Shogunate resisted foreign ideas, including foreign scientific ideas, for decades. Osamu Tezuka's Hidamari no Ki pays tribute to the manga-ka's grandfather who fought to expand awareness of "Dutch medicine" in the late Tokugawa period. The Shogunate's physicians feared that the acceptance of these foreign practices would erode their power and influence and opposed them. Around the same time the so-called "Tenpou Reforms" that are satirized in Oh! Edo Rocket were instituted. Many practices were banned by the Shogunate in an effort to cleanse Japan of dangerous influences, especially those from the West.

This history seems to play out in the portrayal of "science" in Alderamin. It's a strange, dangerous, viral idea that needs to be kept under wraps to protect a political system based on religious belief.
Humble1ne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Def my top 5 of the year so far ... Ikta is a great main character. Just wish it was a little bit more romance in this series.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I wonder if Japanese history might play some role in the structure of Alderamin.

Japan certainly faced a period when the decision was between traditional cultural and political norms or acceptance of Western practices, particularly science. The Shogunate resisted foreign ideas, including foreign scientific ideas, for decades. Osamu Tezuka's Hidamari no Ki pays tribute to the manga-ka's grandfather who fought to expand awareness of "Dutch medicine" in the late Tokugawa period. The Shogunate's physicians feared that the acceptance of these foreign practices would erode their power and influence and opposed them. Around the same time the so-called "Tenpou Reforms" that are satirized in Oh! Edo Rocket were instituted. Many practices were banned by the Shogunate in an effort to cleanse Japan of dangerous influences, especially those from the West.

This history seems to play out in the portrayal of "science" in Alderamin. It's a strange, dangerous, viral idea that needs to be kept under wraps to protect a political system based on religious belief.

Interesting point, though I think it's stretching a little. Still, I'll watch to see if there is any further evidence of this in the remaining episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Interesting point, though I think it's stretching a little. Still, I'll watch to see if there is any further evidence of this in the remaining episodes.

I mentioned this in part because Western anime viewers including yours truly tend to analyze shows from Western perspectives rather than seeing them as examples of Japanese culture. Themes that matter to Japanese creators may not have obvious parallels in the West. While we, too, certainly had periods when scientific thought was repressed, they are historically further in our past than the late Tokugawa period. (Please let's avoid having a discussion about anti-science forces in modern politics and stay on topic.)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
(Please let's avoid having a discussion about anti-science forces in modern politics and stay on topic.)

Aw you're no fun
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Whenever I hear Ikta saying, "Waga tomo, Mashū," I know that a good, entertaining conversation is about to start.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I wish we knew more about the spirits. Usually they represent some divine power that can aid the forces of good or evil (depending on their alignment), and if they're normally good they would suffer from being misused to do evil. But these little sprites seem to care only about their particular partner's wishes and welfare, displaying no judgement or feeling whatsoever about how they're used. So what exactly are they, and how do they bond with people and why? I really hope the series gets around to elaborating on this. I mean, I still don't know if Ikta ever fulfilled his promise to the spirits from the 2nd episode.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would be genuinely shocked if any of the core Imperial Knights got killed off

spoiler[Oh boy. If only you knew.]

{Edit}: Use spoiler tags please. Yes this was not a direct spoiler but it was most certainly an implied one. You're implying something big will happen based on other material that could quite easily turn out to be a major spoiler for the anime. So please use spoiler tags on direct spoilers or, on references to manga material that could easily spoil a show as well. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 Review wrote:
Cutting your finger off – in chunks! – to convince someone of your sincerity when there's no time to convince that person through words is pretty damn hardcore.

It's surprising that it actually happened. If it went the way it usually does in these kind of scenes, Nana would have stopped Ikta before he managed to chop off his finger by saying something like: "You've already expressed your resolve, no need to cut off your finger."
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe he cut his own finger off like that, I had to look away quickly.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, a battle between 2 master tacticians.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Count me in the group surprised that he actually lost a finger. I figured that Nanaku would stop him, so it was a (pleasant?) surprise to see him actually go through with it - multiple times even!

Now to see a tactician duel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12