• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Anime Go Unlicensed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
The first reason is that many creators are, well, creative people. They don't often live in the business world, and very often have a skewed idea of how things work.

Shots fired, surely!
Admittedly, I expect the majority of the human race ultimately values creativity over business acumen, even though we sadly end up relying on the latter to enjoy the former.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Hyouka is one of the shows where I just said "F*** it" and bought the Import regardless of the lack of subs. Others being Tatami Galaxy, Kemonozume, and Kaiba. Though I'm sure the lack of a license for those latter 3 falls much more into the sixth category, "honestly, this is just too obscure, too unpopular, to even justify the cost of subtitling it and hosting files that nobody is ever going to want to stream, even if the license were basically free" that invalidname mentioned. Though I think there is some value to them. All are critical darlings to some extent, and Yuasa is quite well known among artistic types. I'm very curious how Ping Pong did for Funimation. Not super great, would be my guess.

Eh, there's a difference between shows like Tatami Galaxy that at least have streaming but no home video, and those that don't even get licensed for streaming. The fixed costs for a home video release have a greater bar, though I would definitely buy Tatami Galaxy. If it's been streamed then there's some hope.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Hyouka is one of the shows where I just said "F*** it" and bought the Import regardless of the lack of subs. Others being Tatami Galaxy, Kemonozume, and Kaiba.

This reminded me of how I got my hopes up for a US release of Tatami Galaxy when the UK got it, and then it still never happened. And now I am sad once more.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... Others might dislike the anime adaptation and have decided to nix any possibility of it getting further released. They have the power to veto any deal at any time.

But does this work both ways? Like can a publisher 'blackball' an artist, like in denying the publication/merchandise etc of their works, current or past, in order to put pressure on them?
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Once again, another situation to bring up Nichijou and Carnival Phantasm. What categories would they fall under, I wonder?

Actually Nichijou wouldn't technically count, since Bandai originally had the license right before they bellied up. But still, I've missed out on so many AMV's being made without this title.

I think in Carnival Phantasm's case it is because it is a combination of shorts about two shows. Sure the Fate side of it is really popular, but the Tsukihime side is not nearly as popular (though I could be wrong) and that might make licencors shy away from it. If it had been a straight up Fate comedy series it would most certainly have been licensed.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm even more curious as to what form of Black Magic did Animax SEA had for them to broadcast Hyouka in their territories.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd figure I would bring up Heroman in this discussion, which can be found on Crunchyroll in it's entirety. However, it never got a dvd release in the states nor do I think got dubbed, despite being one of the most American Anime ever. I heard that Disney was the cause of that problem but I didn't look into the details. Though my post might be a little off topic because Heroman did get licensed for streaming but not anything else to my knowledge.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Other than Nichijou and Hyouka never getting released, I've always wondered the reason why Chihayafuru has never been picked in the west (other than Australia). Ok, the obscure sport it's centred around is almost certainly a reason, but I've always wondered if that's the whole story. The heavy shoujo aesthetic made it seem liked the type of title the likes of NIS, Discotek or maybe even Sentai would gamble on. Has there ever been any talk or rumours surrounding that title?

Quote:
This reminded me of how I got my hopes up for a US release of Tatami Galaxy when the UK got it, and then it still never happened. And now I am sad once more.

If I'm remembering right Funimation has that title but never mustered up the courage to put it out. Although the rights could have expired by now.

As for the UK release, the dvd packaging was nice but the quality of the video and subtitles were pretty terrible, forcing me to go back to rips. However, Anime Limited recently announced a blu ray edition so if you have a player that can run it there should be an alternative coming soon. Also, this news came around the same time AL announced they would be working with Funi on jointly releasing titles (in the UK at least). This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe don't completely write off seeing a US release at some point in the future

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
As a teen I always wanted to know what held up Hitman Reborn. Because between 2006-2010 most of the modern Shonen Jump series that had an anime were already licensed with the exception of Reborn and it always ticked me off as a fan.

Also, what about series that were licensed before but then expired? What happens then? Finally, what about manga? What holds them up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Answerman wrote:
Some of them, such as Madhouse, have opted to hire an outside sales agent to take care of these things

With the studio being a subsidiary owned by NTV, I thought that publishers had to go to NTV. An interesting tidbit.

I happen to be informed about this (good intuition though):

Stuff that Madhouse made before being bought by NTV would likely not be something NTV would automatically gain the rights to and be able to sell. The rights would probably lie still with Madhouse alone and NTV would have to pay Madhouse (their own subcompany now, but still it would be money transferred) to purchase them which would cause money loss on NTV's licensing department's books. At the same time Madhouse's in house licensing team is no more after the sale to NTV since they won't be getting anything NEW, hence they hired an outside agent basically to handle all the legacy stuff.
On the other hand, most of Madhouse's new output is handled by NTV (or the committee that hired them). I believe that there are still cases where Madhouse handles the rights themselves, mainly some of the films I think?
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Bring us Chihayafuru, d*mnit!!!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I've always wondered the reason why Chihayafuru has never been picked in the west (other than Australia).

Chihayafuru was licensed for streaming (at least) by CrunchyRoll, so I know it ran in the US on there. Why it did not get a physical release? I assume they just didn't see numbers to make that a worthwhile venture. I would assume it was considered very similar to Hikaru no Go, which ALSO has/had a passionate fanbase and is ALSO about a relatively obscure (especially in the west) "sport", which bombed pretty hard in terms of DVD sales. (not sure if the manga saw "success")
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
invalidname wrote:
It seems like there ought to be a sixth entry for "honestly, this is just too obscure, too unpopular, to even justify the cost of subtitling it and hosting files that nobody is ever going to want to stream, even if the license were basically free".

"Nobody wants this stupid show" is so obvious a reason it didn't really bear mentioning. And honestly, given what's been licensed in the past few years, there's surprisingly little in that category!

So would Macross fall under #2 or is it a whole other category unto itself?
Ashtur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
MarineCorps wrote:

So would Macross fall under #2 or is it a whole other category unto itself?

I'd say that Macross is #2 taken to the ultimate, absurd extreme.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I remember no one pick up Shin Mazinger Z when it was airing. I think it would have been a hit on CR back in 2009-2010. I guess people in the US are into Super Robot Anime shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5