• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Prime Minister Cosplays as Mario at the Olympics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Aw, I was expecting Doraemon! Sad

Mario is a lot more well known/.

...and he is just as charming. Anime catgrin
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
I have to wonder how the LDP stays in power then.

One reason is that rural citizens, who support the LDP in greater numbers, are overrepresented in the Diet. This has been true since the War.

Also, when the Japanese threw out the LDP for the first time in 2009, the successor government under the Democratic Party of Japan did not perform very well in office (PDF).
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
expectations are now high for the Japan Olympic Team,it's too bad that the japan woman's soccer team weren't at the games

all anime fan across the globe should be rooting for Japan! in 2020
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Out of the millions of Americans that watched the video on TV last night that showed Mario and Doraemon, I wonder how many viewers actually recognized Doraemon.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics!
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Mogtaki wrote:
This would had been pretty cool if he was a liked Prime Minister.

But...he really isn't. He's awful. Two examples: he's the reason it's incredibly hard to migrate to Japan and has tried to downplay the atrocities Japan conducted in WW2 by having textbooks changed.

This. Hopefully Mario is featured at the Tokyo Olympics but he's long out of office by then. His whole negative impact in dialing Japan back to it's more nationalistic pre-WW2 image a bit had made a lot of things about their culture kind of uncomfortable same as what Trump is doing for America.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
F302 Pilot wrote:
expectations are now high for the Japan Olympic Team,it's too bad that the japan woman's soccer team weren't at the games

They tried. They really did. But Japan's women's soccer team was one position short of making the cutoff, placing third in the Asian league behind China and Australia. (Oceania has its own league, but I think FIFA deemed Australia too good for Oceania and got bumped to the Asian league instead.)

Even then, I have doubts the Japanese team could've held up against this year's Swedish steamroller.

epicwizard wrote:
Out of the millions of Americans that watched the video on TV last night that showed Mario and Doraemon, I wonder how many viewers actually recognized Doraemon.

Probably more than you'd think, as Doraemon, as a character, is pretty popular in some pretty random countries, like Italy and France. Even then, without any familiarity, Doraemon looks sufficiently Japanese in design to fit in with Mario, Hello Kitty, and Pac-Man.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
Doraemon was there along with Mario? Most interesting. Surprisingly or otherwise, the BBC and other news sources certainly didn't inform me of that...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
jdnation, I don't think Goku could handle a Genki Dama with all the negative energy we get from US Millennials born between 1996-2000.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3