• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

As I said before, they are NOT streaming uncensored Masou Gakuen HxH now (do not know about the future) which is broadcast without beams of light/darkness in AT-X.

I rest my case.

Funimation is dubbing and releasing for streaming Testament to New Sister Devil of all shows in a couple weeks, DxD is one of their most popular and advertized shows and they have a whole slew of fanservice/nudity heavy shows. I'm pretty sure they are A-ok with extreme fan-service shows and the comtent they contain Haha

.... and Testament of New Sister Devil is also one of the most extremely censored (some call it "creative") anime broadcasts of all time, my post is about streaming uncensored (at the same time it is first broadcast in japan, not one year later), I already acknowledge that Funi does have ecchi in their catalog when I mentioned this season Gakuen HxH.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Videogamep wrote:
What are you talking about? It started out as a piracy site, but they removed all the shows they didn't have the license to and started negotiating for official streaming rights years ago. Crunchyroll is as legit as they come now.

You clearly fail to understand what that means. They got the venture capital to negotiate for those licenses based on their site metrics. X number of unique visitors per month, Y number of hits, etc. All of which was built upon 100s of volunteers uploading content, maintaining summary pages, moderating the forums there, etc. The site was the aggregate effort of all those people—which they then wiped it all out, cut everyone loose, and went "legit".

Do you think they would have gotten the millions in VC with no site and just a business plan? No. The entire thing was built upon abusing the efforts of all those people. And each of them are now personally worth over $100M USD for doing close to jack shit. The ends don't justify the means. Unless you think the mafia are legitimate business people as long as they donate to an orphanage every now and then?

Please, it's already 2016. Time to get over it.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
crx07 wrote:
I also have that similar concern. But more on Kadokawa. Kadokawa seems to hate Funi. If Crunchy respects Kadokawa, then there's no HxH Magias, New Game!, Ange Vierge, and Re:Zero. If Crunchy disregards Kadokawa, Kadokawa may partner to Amazon in the future. A disaster!
If Kadokawa still hates Funimation, and Crunchyroll does not want to lose Kadokawa anime, then there will be no dubs from Kadokawa anime like KonoSuba, Re:Zero, and Bungo Stray Dogs.

I'm not so sure this is the case. Some of the Crunchyroll titles already specifically announced like The Testament of Sister New Devil and Big Order are Kadokawa titles. Plus even aside from the deal, FUNi themselves have a number of home video releases of Kadokawa titles coming up (including some newly-licensed back catalog titles like Omamori Himari and Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun).
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
.... and Testament of New Sister Devil is also one of the most extremely censored (some call it "creative") anime broadcasts of all time, my post is about streaming uncensored (at the same time it is first broadcast in japan, not one year later), I already acknowledge that Funi does have ecchi in their catalog when I mentioned this season Gakuen HxH.

Granted this is just my guesses but I imagine that all of that has to do with Japanese license stipulations. Funimation is only allowed to show what Japan lets them and uncensored materials like you said aren't given for Funimations shows by Japan until much later. While Gakuen HxH may be airing uncensored in Japan it's on a premium channel not everyone has and I highly doubt Japan would give/allow Funimation to stream uncensored content when the majority of Japan doesn't have access to it uncensored since it's currently airing. Sure there's always exceptions but the western market has always been treated as secondary to Japan, when the Japanese are satisfied then the west is allowed to get it's fill, I'm sure Funimation would love to stream every show uncensored but that impossible unless Japan gives them the material/okay to stream it. They aren't streaming shows censored for the sake of the moral/family friendly high ground.
Katane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Doesn't get any bigger than this unless VIZ joins them (Yeah that won't happen Laughing).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
I wonder if Funimation will help Crunchyroll get some of their shows on Toonami.

I suppose it's possible. Something like Mob Psycho would be pretty easy to pitch. However, it would largely depend on when Funimation gets around to dubbing CR content. The focus right now seems to be on recent and upcoming titles. They might also see it as taking on too much at once.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
crx07 wrote:
I also have that similar concern. But more on Kadokawa. Kadokawa seems to hate Funi. If Crunchy respects Kadokawa, then there's no HxH Magias, New Game!, Ange Vierge, and Re:Zero. If Crunchy disregards Kadokawa, Kadokawa may partner to Amazon in the future. A disaster!
If Kadokawa still hates Funimation, and Crunchyroll does not want to lose Kadokawa anime, then there will be no dubs from Kadokawa anime like KonoSuba, Re:Zero, and Bungo Stray Dogs.

I'm not so sure this is the case. Some of the Crunchyroll titles already specifically announced like The Testament of Sister New Devil and Big Order are Kadokawa titles. Plus even aside from the deal, FUNi themselves have a number of home video releases of Kadokawa titles coming up (including some newly-licensed back catalog titles like Omamori Himari and Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun).

Agreed. The whole "Kadokawa doesn't like Funimation" thing seems overblown considering the things you mentioned. Also, it was mentioned that this partnership was formed with approval on the Japanese side. Considering that CR had recently announced a deal with Kadokawa, I'm sure they had to get the ok to bring Funimation in on what was previously an exclusive deal. Again, I'm not so sure that that there is much hate if they gave the approval, or at least business sense told them to get over whatever personal issues they had.
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Do you think there are many people who go "I would pay to watch anime on CR, but man... without the translated song lyrics, it's just not worth it."? Be realistic.

There exists a segment of the fandom that'll find any excuse possible to justify downloading fansubs or ripped subs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Not much is going to change for companies like Sentai, as (and correct me if I'm wrong) they don't licence home video rights from Crunchyroll, they license them from Japan. They're still going to go for the shows they would have gone for, and if CR gets the streaming rights, they'll show up on Crunchyroll as well, as has always happened.

Unfortunately for Sentai it looks like they cannot license many new shows because the asking prices for licenses have gone way up, and apparently only Crunchyroll and Funimation can afford to pay them. Sentai is my favorite anime company, and I want to believe that they will still be able to license at least 20 new shows every year.

And there is a high probability that the physical rights of shows, not licensed by Funimation, Aniplex USA, or Ponycan USA, that stream on Crunchyroll will also be owned by CR.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
NitroNeon wrote:
This has me worried mainly because I'm not a huge fan of Texas dubs and wanted to hear actors from Canada, LA and New York instead.

I doubt Funimation would contract Bang Zoom or the like outright but with them stating they are increasing their dub budget I can see them hiring many LA actors to work with their usual talent for dubs as they have been much better recently in reprising the cast for animes based off games with LA dubs. Outside of Media Blasters it seems not much NY talent is used but Ocean might be getting some work if the Gintama rumors are true.

The CRTC approved 51 episodes of Gintama back in late April. That means the dub was recorded months before Crunchyroll and Funimation entered this agreement.

Even with the loonie being garbage, the disparity in fees between ACTRA rates and non-union actors is so great that I doubt Funimation is going to send anything to Vancouver. Maybe some low tier stuff to Calgary.

I'm actually kind of afraid to see what will happen to Gintama. Will Funimation pull a Kingdom and release it with 0 fanfare? Extreme pessimism: spoiler[If they think the show has potential to be successful, will they just re-dub those 51 episodes internally and never release the Ocean version (so fans don't get attached) because dubbing the rest of the show locally would be so much cheaper?]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Sorry, I still don't get it and I have to repeat what I wrote before, if Crunchyroll didn't have openings and endings licensed, they should not even stream them.

I'm not a licensing lawyer, but everything I know of that realm says that it is an INCREDIBLY complex and byzantine system. ESPECIALLY in Japan apparently. From what I understand, in the US, a given property can be bundled and sold as one package (soundtrack for Star Wars, in terms of the music IN the movie, is sold WITH the movie), but in Japan, a fair number of people actually retain various rights, so you need to negotiate with all those people, including whoever owns the rights to whatever music. To go with your example, if you find the US release of Kodocha, it actually doesn't HAVE the OP/ED (iirc) BECAUSE they couldn't get the rights. I would assume CR takes the "easiest" path of just "what's the minimum I need to get this up and streaming?" rather than "what's the most I can bundle in here".
fryguy81 wrote:
The only issue I see with this is a long view one where this could lead to a straight anime monopoly/trust and then the once affordable crunchyroll or Funimation drives out the other streaming services and we get the higher priced option of FunCrunch.

As much as I love the "FunCrunch" moniker you've devised, this is simply paranoid fantasy.
#1. As others have noted, MOST of the companies aren't currently competing with each other (in terms of pricing and marketing) they're competing with "piracy"
#2. Even if we remove "piracy" as a competitor, the next step is American entertainment, be it TV, movies, or games. People are already making buying decisions of "Attack On Titan or Overwatch?" As long as that is true, most companies won't go "premium price" because...
#3. Higher prices is targeting a different market. The current model is aiming for "higher volume with less margin". FUNi et al can target the "collector/premium" market (like Aniplex) but that would signal a SERIOUS demographic shift which would pretty much mean the end of CrunchyRoll anyway (since streaming is based on the volume model). And that would be a bad move because MOST people are moving away from physical media, so the money is just not "there" for aiming to be "disc only".
"Subscription streaming revenue among studios hit $5 billion last year, the second in a row to see a 25 percent gain over the previous year, according to the Digital Entertainment Group report. At the same time, the sale of discs dropped from $6.9 billion in 2014 to $6.1 billion in 2015, a decline of 10.9 percent. Revenue from disc rentals fell 7.5 percent from last year to $3 billion."
http://www.thewrap.com/digital-streaming-should-overtake-discs-as-hollywood-profit-driver-in-2016/
peno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

OK, let me try to explain this in a way you may understand. Paying to play the song during the anime OP/ED/Instert is one thing. But if they want to translate the song, they need a separate license from the music studio. Not only that, but any translation to the song need to be aprooved by said music studio before CR would be allowed to show the translated lyrics on the streams. That is more time, effort and money then it is worth to CR. They could, theoretically, get this done, but it wouldn't give then any benefit. How many people do you really think that would bring in? Do you think there are many people who go "I would pay to watch anime on CR, but man... without the translated song lyrics, it's just not worth it."? Be realistic. Now, some studios are easier to work with then others, which is why you sometimes get trasnlated lyrics. But that's the exception.

Bottom line, bending over backwards to get the OP/ED translated is not worth the aditional cost and time.

But, as I mentioned before, almost every insert song in Crunchyroll subs I saw, was translated (though not every time they appeared, but at least once during their run, they were, usually in their first appearances). Sometimes, even opening and/or ending songs were translated if they were insert songs, but not in credits. So, why is this? Are insert songs easier to be approved for translation or does Crunchyroll put more effort (and probably money) to translate insert songs and not openings and endings? If so, what's the point? It's not like the insert songs are more important for the story than openings and endings are (at least in most cases, anime aren't musicals usually, after all).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
But, as I mentioned before, almost every insert song in Crunchyroll subs I saw, was translated (though not every time they appeared, but at least once during their run, they were, usually in their first appearances). Sometimes, even opening and/or ending songs were translated if they were insert songs, but not in credits. So, why is this? Are insert songs easier to be approved for translation or does Crunchyroll put more effort (and probably money) to translate insert songs and not openings and endings? If so, what's the point? It's not like the insert songs are more important for the story than openings and endings are (at least in most cases, anime aren't musicals usually, after all).

Here's a piece from an older Answerman column, albeit about dubbing and not subbing, but the process is still similar.

The Answerman wrote:
The last, and possibly the biggest factor, is the Japanese producers. Back in the 90s, when communication between Japan and the American publishers was pretty limited, the dub teams could get away with a lot of things, and simply went ahead with their work without any input or permission from the show's licensors. Nowadays, the licensors closely scrutinize pretty much every aspect of the show's release. Very very little slips through the cracks.

While there are exceptions, generally the show's original music team does not want a team of people they've never met from a foreign country mucking about with their songs. If the music is part of a strategy to promote real-life musicians (and it often is, especially with idol shows like Love Live!), then the dubbed version of the show is useless for that purpose. If the management company or agency of those musicians happens to be on the production committee, then forget it! That music is sacrosanct, and nobody is ever allowed to touch it, ever.
idkAlan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
NitroNeon wrote:
This has me worried mainly because I'm not a huge fan of Texas dubs and wanted to hear actors from Canada, LA and New York instead.

I doubt Funimation would contract Bang Zoom or the like outright but with them stating they are increasing their dub budget I can see them hiring many LA actors to work with their usual talent for dubs as they have been much better recently in reprising the cast for animes based off games with LA dubs. Outside of Media Blasters it seems not much NY talent is used but Ocean might be getting some work if the Gintama rumors are true.

Funimation does in fact hire LA, NY, and Canadian VA's, for certain titles, but they try to avoid them because they will then have to pay additional fees simply to hire them, due to unions.

Texas on the other hand is a right-to-work state, which forbids unions from taking "commission" from the actors for their roles or suing companies that use non-union or union actors without paying the union fees.
Hence, why certain LA actors are flown to Dallas, under an alias, to work on a Funimation titles.

The few times that Funimation caves into paying the union fees, for CA and NY, is when their current studio is overworked.

So they will have to outsource a handful of shows to other states, as the workload will increase.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
@peno - If you have specific questions on how the process works, send your questions to answerman @ animenewsnetwork.com, and have Justin respond.

Otherwise, digging through Answerman history, Justin addressed the question about op/ed subtitles in an even older Answerman column.

Quote:
Quote:
I really love the opening and closing theme songs of anime. Back when most of the anime online seemed to be through Fansubs alot of them (or at least the ones I liked) would have their songs subtitled. Usually a Japanese karaoke on top and an English translation on bottom. Now adays going through what I'm watching on Crunchyroll very, very few of them have the alternating English and Japanese subs. Is it a labor of love vs a labor of labor thing?

It's not so much a matter of the labor involved as the logistics. Simulcast rights are signed right up 'till the last possible moment -- sometimes after -- a show begins airing. The songs that are included in an anime don't need to be negotiated separately, because each streaming service pays a blanket royalty to ASCAP or a similar performing arts organization that authorizes them to play virtually any professionally published song from around the world. At the end of each month that company reports what got played, the organization tracks down the song publishers, and everyone gets paid their tiny royalty.

But once the streaming company (say, Crunchyroll or Funimation) starts transcribing and translating the song lyrics, THAT'S something that is not covered by ASCAP. The right to do that has to come separately from the original music publisher. Often the anime licensor can help facilitate that, but it can be a long process. By the time the anime itself is signed, the show is often already airing (or is about to), and there's simply no time left to negotiate another set of licenses or permissions. Home video comes much later, so it doesn't have that problem.

Crunchyroll has addressed this question in the forums as well.

tl;dr - Song subtitles require separate rights and approvals and the time it takes to complete approvals with the music companies tend to go past when the anime first started simulcasting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
SpiritualRemains wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Do you think there are many people who go "I would pay to watch anime on CR, but man... without the translated song lyrics, it's just not worth it."? Be realistic.

There exists a segment of the fandom that'll find any excuse possible to justify downloading fansubs or ripped subs.

Just a decade ago that would have read exactly the same, but we would be talking about how "pirates want to see anime in the internet for free, nonsense!!!" History has proven each and every time that the base of any business is giving users what they want/need. So just because it is hard it does not mean it is impossible or not worth doing. Of course, many big corporations want none of this and prefer to indoctrinate their customer on the reasons (reads as dogma) why their demands are outrageous.

So I hope it does not take another decade for lack of op/ed subs and censorship to become yet another relic of the past.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13