• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuri!!! on Ice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Siblings Michele and Sala are in a codependent (non-romantic) relationship
Yeah, there's some serious siscon going on here; even Georgi considers Mickey's skate as a kindred spirit in lost love. *shiver* Still, not as creepy as the JJ x Yurio ship but, to each their own. I agree that Mickey not being a douche and acknowledging that his sister has a life of her own was the most mature response to their dilemma.

I have to applaud Yurio for his free skate. The passion, frustration, and clarity he performed was amazing. Even when he rightfully called JJ a s**thead, Yurio just channeled that annoyance into nailing his technical moves! I'm also glad that, once things ended, he went out of his way to cheer up Yuuri both near the rink and outside with his grandpa's pirozhkis ala katsudon in tow~

No doubt, I truly resonate with Yuuri as a character; he might be the most relatable protagonist out of all the shows I've seen this year! He doesn't crash and burn like what audience might have wanted but, near the end even Yuuri thinks that his squeak into GPF means that his time with Victor is nearly over. He placed so much burden and high expectations onto himself that even an average performance is not enough.

Quote:
It's also why Yuuri turns into a freak when he's feeling good about himself

Well, Mickey wasn't lying about calling him a "moody closeted pervert" that's for damn sure. Hell, if there isn't a mountain of reversible doujinshi with Eros!Yuuri I will be absolutely disappointed with this fandom. Wink

Once again, I've been saying that logically after the Grand Prix ends so will Yuuri's relationship with Victor which, since episode 3, I was fully prepared for. Still mad we didn't get some backstory on Victor BUT...my poor rotten heart nearly stopped when they ran towards each other at the airport and he (more or less) accepted Yuuri's "proposal". He even had the gall to kiss Yuuri's ring finger too!!! ^///^ Now I really want a cheesy fanfic, Disney-esque ending!!!

spoiler[.... oh and Makkachin's not dead...how pleasantly anticlimactic~]

@meiam Well, some people like guys with confidence and can back that up with results. JJ, however, makes Gaston from Beauty & the Beast look like a saint of humility. He thinks Victor ran away from him after the Grand Prix as though Victor gives a s**t about that. JJ is talented, true, but, kissing yourself on the ice (I pray he does that after Christophe in the Final ;P). blantaly ignoring your competitors, calling Yurio a "lady" after his gorgeous Apage routine, and has an anthem ABOUT HIMSELF is the epitome of narcissism....also, he voiced by Mamoru "I'm in 30 anime shows per year" Miyano so of course he's full of himself!
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
Awww, i still love JJ! Considering that his coaches are actually his parents, his attitude somehow makes sense. He's probably been living in a bubble where everyone kept telling him that he's the awesomest of the awesome things ever (and we'll, he is pretty awesome... Wink ), but I agree that he's likely in for a (hopefully gentle) fall in the GPS. Well, if he wasn't, barely anyone else would stand a chance of winning ...

Speaking of which, I continue to be amazed how the show manages to avoid melodrama but still makes us feel for these characters. I've had my doubts, but by now i've got faith that , no matter how the ending will turn out, it's gonna be satisfying.

I still don't get why Yuuri seems so intent on retiring after the GPS, though. Did we ever get a reason for that?

Looking forward to finally meeting the dark horse Otabek Altin! Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

Looking forward to finally meeting the dark horse Otabek Altin! Smile

I'm curious as to why the narrators call him dark horse when he placed Bronze in last season's World Championship (unless that was a mistake and it was supposed to be JJ, since their looks are similar, but his name card during the winners' press conference is very clear and he was clearly wearing the Kazakh team jacket). And he's only 18, the youngest out of last year's top skaters.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I continue to be amazed how the show manages to avoid melodrama but still makes us feel for these characters. I've had my doubts, but by now i've got faith that , no matter how the ending will turn out, it's gonna be satisfying.

Agreed. Week after week, I expect things to go a certain way: for instace I expected Rostelecom to focus on Yurio drama to help him work out his anger, and after episode 8, I thought we'd get Victor's backstory, either by Victor's own flashback or by Yakov having a conversation with Yuuri, but none of that happened, and yet I don't feel disappointed. When every episode ends I feel entire satisfied and thinking that this was definitely the best way for them to go. Like how they handled the scene with the two Yuris, we didn't need a large confrontation or an emotional meltdown, they just connected and it was adorable. The whole thing is awe-inspiring.

I literally cried at the end of the airport scene. Like full on sobbing and everything, It's such a beautiful scene and their body language is so detailed and perfect, from how they never look away from each other once they start running, to how Yuuri does that little jitter thing because the automatic doors won't open fast enough and their little intakes of breath when they fall into each other's arms. It might be one of the most emotionally raw scenes of the whole series. I'd say I can't imagine how they'll top it for the next three weeks, but if there's something this team has proved is that they can rise way above our expectations, and I'm dying to see that
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
blantaly ignoring your competitors, calling Yurio a "lady" after his gorgeous Apage routine, and has an anthem ABOUT HIMSELF is the epitome of narcissism....also, he voiced by Mamoru "I'm in 30 anime shows per year" Miyano so of course he's full of himself!

What? What the heck? What? Do you realize what you're saying here?

There is you know that tiny possibility that Mamoru Miyano voices narcissistic characters (Light, Tamaki, Tsukiyama, Berg Katze) because he's just freaking good at voicing narcissistic characters, and not because he's on his high horse as a person due to his successfull career. Of course nobody here knows him as a person to see if he's truly arrogant or not, but a comment like: "Wow he has so many roles so he must be a douche" is just not right in so many ways. And by the way, I can name about 20 other voice actors on the top of my head that have more roles than Miyano, but that's irrelevant.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I still don't get why Yuuri seems so intent on retiring after the GPS, though. Did we ever get a reason for that?

He's old, like really old by skating standard, it's only going downhill from here, this season is his last serious shoot at winning. He could keep going but his score would only go down from there.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Merida wrote:

He's old, like really old by skating standard, it's only going downhill from here, this season is his last serious shoot at winning. He could keep going but his score would only go down from there.

He's only just turned 24. Victor is/was still at the top at 27. Sure there are a lot of young(er) guys, but there also seem to be plenty of world class RL figure skaters in their mid-twenties like him for example.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

He's only just turned 24. Victor is/was still at the top at 27. Sure there are a lot of young(er) guys, but there also seem to be plenty of world class RL figure skaters in their mid-twenties like him for example.

Well Victor was dominating the competition every since he started, you can't really compare him to Yuri. Also you linked to a 25 year old skater who last won at 24, so...
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Merida wrote:

Well Victor was dominating the competition every since he started, you can't really compare him to Yuri. Also you linked to a 25 year old skater who last won at 24, so...

...he's still making the GPF, that's not so bad for a "really old" guy".
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Merida wrote:

Not really. Victor moved up to senior aprox 10 years ago, when he was 17 -we know he was still Junior at 16, but from Chris's memory Victor was already winning the European Championship the next year- But he's "only" won the GPF 5 times, so his first win was at 22. Those are 5 years in which he wasn't dominating and had to climb back up.

Also, Yuuri is still young. Figure skaters do retire young, but it is rare for them to do it at 24, when the body hasn't even reached its peak. Look at Georgi (27) and Chris (25). Neither of them are talking about retirement. Victor himself didn't retire because he was old, but because he was uninspired. And we know Yuuri has outstanding stamina and hasn't suffered any major injuries (which is one of the main reasons for skaters to retire, since the sport is extremely taxing on the body. Plushenko has had his bones broken in a million places and he still hopes to make a comeback for Pyeongchang)

No, I think it's not because of his age, but a mental issue. He thinks he's reached his peak, and that whatever the results of this Grand Prix are -the results he achieves with Victor-, that'll be the most he'll be able to accomplish. And maybe he also feels a sense of responsibility for taking Victor's time (he says "Victor will be back in Russia soon"). The fact that he doesn't seem to have told this explicitly to Victor means his drive to retire is still at least partially connected to some level of insecurity. Whether he does decide to retire or not I think is still in the air, but I think the last few episodes should give us Victor convincing Yuuri that he wants to give him his time and stay by his side for as long as Yuuri wants him to. Or maybe not because I'm utterly unable to predict where this show goes at all.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

No, I think it's not because of his age, but a mental issue. He thinks he's reached his peak, and that whatever the results of this Grand Prix are -the results he achieves with Victor-, that'll be the most he'll be able to accomplish. And maybe he also feels a sense of responsibility for taking Victor's time (he says "Victor will be back in Russia soon"). The fact that he doesn't seem to have told this explicitly to Victor means his drive to retire is still at least partially connected to some level of insecurity. Whether he does decide to retire or not I think is still in the air, but I think the last few episodes should give us Victor convincing Yuuri that he wants to give him his time and stay by his side for as long as Yuuri wants him to. Or maybe not because I'm utterly unable to predict where this show goes at all.

Nice analysis, this definitely makes sense! And i'd love for Victor to convince Yuuri to keep going, be it as his protege or his rival. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out what Victor was thinking/feeling when he deflected the reporter's question about competing against Yuuri. I think he wants to, but he also wants to keep coaching him, or at least being with him, and how do you do that if you're competing against him? It's an interesting dilemma I can't even imagine how I'd resolve if I were in his skates, let alone what the writers will do with it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The question put Viktor in a very difficult situation. I'm sure Viktor believes he could beat Yuuri, probably easily. But as Yuuri's coach it's his job to talk up his protege. Were Viktor to hint that he could beat Yuuri, it would be both bad PR and bad for Yuuri's weak sense of self-confidence.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ok finally another World famous figure skater, Johnny Weir is going to watch the ice skating anime Yuri!! On Ice... Apparently Victor's backstory during the 7th ep piqued his interest since Victor's costume was based on his controversial costume

Funny that even Crunchyroll has replied to Weir's tweet offering that they could offer him a premium passage[/i]
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also ran across this lengthy blog detailing translation errors and things that got lost in the subs. It's worth the read. We're apparently missing a lot of innuendo and nuances that makes Yuuri and Victor's relationship a lot less ambiguous than we've been led to believe by the subs. Smile

I don't know what this person's credentials are, so I'm curious if vonPeterhof (and any others here fluent in Japanese) agrees with their interpretations. They sound to me like they know what they're talking about, but what do I know? Nothing, that's what I know. Very Happy
Sorry for the belated response: I caught up really late this time, so I've been avoiding this thread and didn't see your post. Anyway, the interpretations in that blog seem sound to me, and my sources do confirm a few things I wasn't sure about. One extremely minor nitpick I could make is about their explanation of Chris's ご主人様 line: in addition to master/slave and owner/pet connotations, that word can also be used as a very polite way of referring to your interlocutor's husband (yeah, Japanese polite language can be patriarchal like that; at least referring to one's own wife as 家内, literally "inside the house", appears to be becoming passé). Not that this contradicts their point about Chris implying that Yuuri and Viktor are getting it on, quite the contrary Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear. I hope they continue with subsequent episodes then.

Another bit I ran across on the language front is that the song that Victor skated to in the first episode, "Stay Close to Me," is unquestionably being sung by one man to another, given the masculine form of "abbandonato" (abandoned). And what a love song it is! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 29