• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Update: Tokyo Comic Con Rescinds Ban on Male Crossplay

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I knew that the ban would be lifted if enough people complained about it and it looks like enough people did. Smile
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Glad it's rescinded! Took them long enough.

That Misty photograph is priceless.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
Considering how one sided the ban was, yeah they were going to have to lift it. Also, as another poster noted, women's restrooms are typically busy at these types of events, any male up to no good would probably be discovered.

Though late at night when most of the volunteers and security have departed, male or female it might be unwise to visit the facilities by yourself.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Nothing like starting a day with bad news! The ban should have stayed, weird cosplaying can damage your image of a character. It feels like most of the bad cosplays were just acts of trolling anyways.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness that fun has returned, I mean seriously have they've been watched anime in the past 25-28 years, crossdressing has been a thing for decades as humor and fun.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
I don't see this as all that much better. Now they're bathroom policing. If they're going to have staff members stationed by the bathrooms for security, isn't that enough? They don't need to also enforce gender conformity. I'm very skeptical of the idea that people go through the trouble of crossplaying in order to try to harass people in the bathrooms. Unless there's a case of people doing this that I haven't heard of, it just seems like rules that might harm vulnerable people for no good reason.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for Japan but here in America it seems like every week there's a news story of someone getting caught putting a camera and a bathroom or dressing room. If people are caught doing that so frequently imagine all the smarter people who don't get caught doing it. Of course most of those cases involve unisex bathrooms rather than specifically male or female bathrooms, but you get the occasional case that involves a guy dressed as a woman/transgender doing it in a women's one.

Of course that's just for America. I imagine that people running the convention would have a better idea and how often they get complaints then we do though

-Stuart Smith
Brutannica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Funny that the article is still peddling that narrative of people not wanting to see middle aged men crossplaying when their solution and explanation pretty clearly show the reasoning had to do with perverts in restrooms and changing rooms.

Yes, but these articles are derived from other sources. In lieu of an official statement writers resort to speculation. Note that the article itself does not take a stance.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I can't speak for Japan but here in America it seems like every week there's a news story of someone getting caught putting a camera and a bathroom or dressing room. If people are caught doing that so frequently imagine all the smarter people who don't get caught doing it. Of course most of those cases involve unisex bathrooms rather than specifically male or female bathrooms, but you get the occasional case that involves a guy dressed as a woman/transgender doing it in a women's one.

Of course that's just for America. I imagine that people running the convention would have a better idea and how often they get complaints then we do though

-Stuart Smith

Where do live? Because I rarely hear about it and have personally never in my entire 45 years experienced anything like that. I'm sure it happens occasionally but it's far from a major crime problem. The whole trans women issue is just stupid. Most people have probably shared a bathroom with one and never knew it. It's not something I, as a woman, worry about. Plus there are already laws against ANYONE assaulting or spying on people in restrooms. And in the case of transgender people, they are the ones who are usually assaulted. Recently, even some cisgender women have been harassed because they didn't look "feminine" enough! I'm not denying that it never happens but I doubt it's anywhere as frequent as you are making it out to be. Not to mention, men are not the only ones who have been caught doing things like that. No one seems to remember the recent incident where a female Playboy Playmate secretly recorded a video of a woman showering, posted it online, and then made fun of her.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
It's not really isolated to any one part of the country. I'm not sure what we're defining as a major crime but you usually see a handful of stories a week about it.

Yesterday
http://itapunta.com/2016/10/28/opelika-man-accused-of-placing-cameras-in-high-school-mens/
Day before
http://m.wect.com/wect/db_355635/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=0fDtVgPu

Might not be an epidemic compared to other everyday crimes, but it's not exactly a rare thing either. Like I said, only the convention owners would know if it's a problem there.

-Stuart Smith
OkashiiJosei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This is more a thought than something actually researched, but hear me out. I think there is more to the story than we have been informed, there might have been incidents of crossplayed men (perverted people) in female characters, that went on purpose into women designed places such as bathrooms and garderobes. (hence the new ideea with the colored ID separate for women and men). But even if that wasn`t the case, I don't think they actually ment to ban the whole thing. I think their main purpose was to like try control the inappropriate, because the updates mention that you have to wear UNDERWEAR and actually have decent clothes if you crossplay (so no action under the mini skirt). I think it makes sense (and it is about [expletive] morality) it is not about [expletive] discrimination, at least not in the main idea. Girls are allowed to cosplay as men because men clothes are appropriate and not revealing. There might be kids there or minors, and even if there aren`t, there are like sensitive people to such images. I mean I wouldn`t mind actually seeing guys dressed as women don`t get me wrong, I`d love to, but I wouldn`t like seeing their ^&*( shining bright outta` nowhere. So the reason is understandable but the action was not well thought at first strike so that is why they changed it. And yes we are talking about the country where you could say lgbt happened first. Like they were way more accepting, if not the only country that was accepting it in that period, and the country where people regardles of gender bathed together at onsens without any problem, shame or inhibition. But don`t forget that, that changed since the forcing of Japan's opening to the world in Edo period...Since then they adopted the American and European way of seeing this stuff as shameful or inappropriate (though i totally disagree).But then again, they just tried to keep everything clean, that is all. I think people get buthurt to easly this days, they automatically take anything as an insult. ..Like what? Ain't I allowed to show my balls on the comic con ? Isn't that my freedom of expression? Well yes, you are a free person, but the concept of freedom is being free until you touch someone else's freedom. It is your right to dress, however the fudge you want, but it is my right not wanting to see your balls hanging out of your skirt miss/sir/they/them/madame etc. so please be considerate and no one will have a [expletive] problem. If people cared more about each other this stuff would never happen. (*potato for long text*)
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
There are still mixed gender onsen. Also, from what I understand, Japan's attitude towards LGBT is pretty different from Western attitudes, and therefore it's not necessarily more progressive in that way. They seem to be more accepting in that they will allow people to take untraditional roles, but only if it's a role that does exist in their society. For example, a cis woman can behave more in the role traditionally occupied by men. But also, in Japan, people are expected to take on roles as is appropriate for the context. And so while behaving this easy is acceptable at say a gay club, you are expected to to take on the role of a normal straight person in the rest of your life.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
that glorious Mansty thumbnail
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

I have heard of a few guy's doing the camera at or in a woman's room/involving a woman.
Maybe i am reading your comment wrong but saying transgender people are some sort perverts makes your comment wrong.I know more than a few transgender people and all the one's i have meet are people who want to live there lives without being harassed just like anyone else.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Maybe i am reading your comment wrong but saying transgender people are some sort perverts makes your comment wrong.

I think that Stuart Smith was talking about somebody who was pretending to be a woman or transgender person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3