• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel Reveals Marvel Future Avengers TV Anime, Manga Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
The big question is, will the infamous "Fox Ban" affect the show now. Disk Wars had plenty of X-Men in it, but that was long before the ban really went into effect.

I think they still skipped out on the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom though, undoubtedly due to the Fox ban.

Primus wrote:
This is definitely going to end up like Stitch, Heroman and Disk Wars Avengers. It'll get dubbed but never released in North America.

And "released" is an interesting word choice when it comes to modern-day Marvel series. If Marvel Future Avengers were to ever make it to the U.S., expect it to never see the light of day on physical media, as Disney gave up releasing any of their newer Marvel animated TV series on DVD back in 2013.

This even now extends to three most recent Marvel animated movies; one of them is a holiday special, which you'd think would be a sure-fire seller on DVD since it's not like the holidays or Marvel super-heroes have gone out of fashion yet.

CANimeFan88 wrote:
Toei also happen to have animated the "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" animated series in the early 80s.

They didn't animate the entirety of these series, but yes they certainly animated a few episodes, which easily stand out compared to the rest. On top of their work on both Spider-Man series, they also animated the 1989 X-Men pilot.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I wonder if this is another project that will end up like Disk Wars where you can't legally watch it in the US.

Wonder if this will end up like Disk Wars where the Japanese have no idea who the characters ARE.

(Now that they've probably seen Ant-Man, will the Wasp still have "animal powers"?) Confused
dash56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
They tried kidless Marvel shows before, and out of them only X-Men was especially good (the others ranged from okay to meh). Even X-men made sure to add a Japanese kid (Armor) to the roster.

Disk Wars was consistently better and more entertaining and seems to have been better received than the Madhouse shows. So adding kids isn't the fundamental problem.

Armor being on the roster makes sense since she was on the team during Ellis' run plus he had a role in the development of the anime.

IMO the only good things from the X-men anime were the beginning scene from ep 1 and the end credits. I felt it was a big disappointment.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This again looks like a rubbish toy ad, so i don´t care, but i still find it ironic that this group shot has more to do with the Avengers than the current comic line-up(s).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I wonder if this is another project that will end up like Disk Wars where you can't legally watch it in the US.

That might be the case, which would be a shame since the premise sounds really interesting.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Well I haven't heard of this premise a bajillion times before. Where's my Avengers Academy, Runaways, or Young Avengers television series, Disney? The kids would love it and I would love it too if you stopped promoting your movies in EVERY piece of media.

That's the funny part though part of the reason shows like Avengers Assemble exist is because of the Avenger's movie making the Avengers known to the general public they're not likely to make series out of those properties because no one that doesn't read comic books knows who they are.

Animegomaniac wrote:
It's Captain America, just a dude with a shield, he's just not as awe inspiring or pants wetting as Hulk, Thor, Ironman or Giant-man.

Well sure if you like a large green monstrosity who acts like a man-child and whose strength level is all over place, a guy who is literally a norse god, a smug businessman whose known for being an alcoholic and a womanizer, and......don't think I need to cover Hank Pym's notoriety.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Thanks to Civil War, I can actually add the last one without someone asking "Who?"

Iron-Man legitimately had this same problem to the general public until the first Iron-Man movie came out. Captain America was pretty much well known due to being one of the earliest superheros to come about....and for the gimmick.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Thanks to Civil War, I can actually add the last one without someone asking "Who?"

Iron-Man legitimately had this same problem to the general public until the first Iron-Man movie came out. Captain America was pretty much well known due to being one of the earliest superheros to come about....and for the gimmick.[/quote]

And even then, Captain America was seen as "campy" for not just not being an A-lister like Spiderman, but for being an "outdated" 40's-resurrected hero, and easy to play as a generic parody of Captain Incredible heroes for folks who hadn't read comic books.
With his "Old-fashioned 40's ideals in modern times" writing their own jokes.
(As for what Japan does with him without really knowing him outside of the MCU, well, you don't have to have watched My Hero Academia to know that.)

Even Stan Lee once talked about doing a "tongue in cheek musical" during the 90's New World days--And the only reason we have Iron Man rescued for the movies was that Paramount originally hired "Zathura"'s Jon Favreau for a "retro spoof" on 40's Captain America, before he preferred doing his own favorite hero instead.
I think we sometimes underestimate just how perfectly Chris Evans nailed the old and new print character's essence to the right decimal place, and stopped the cheap jokes in their tracks.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wonder if this will end up like Disk Wars where the Japanese have no idea who the characters ARE.

This is part of the reason WHY there is an Asian market release of Marvel IP is to start up the hype train for Marvel Hero movies that enter the market.

Why watch the next live action Avengers film when you have zero idea who the avengers are? now the kiddies will watch this show and when the next batch of Live Action marvel heroes comes to theatres they will bug there parents to go watch the film.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Japan, stop animefying my Avengers.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea its cool to me. Its nice to see cross cultural cooperation
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
this is going to be lame
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Even Stan Lee once talked about doing a "tongue in cheek musical" during the 90's New World days--And the only reason we have Iron Man rescued for the movies was that Paramount originally hired "Zathura"'s Jon Favreau for a "retro spoof" on 40's Captain America, before he preferred doing his own favorite hero instead.
I think we sometimes underestimate just how perfectly Chris Evans nailed the old and new print character's essence to the right decimal place, and stopped the cheap jokes in their tracks.

No one seems to be helping Spider-Man, The X-Men, & Hank Pym given how much a punchline they've become.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

No one seems to be helping Spider-Man, The X-Men, & Hank Pym given how much a punchline they've become.

I remember back when Edgar Wright was still planning on doing the Ant-Man movie, one British interviewer literally thought he was doing another Shaun-style Wright spoof, and kept hoping to "play along" and turn the interview to Britcom jokes about the problems of tiny heroes--And Wright was annoyedly earnest about trying to turn the conversation back to how Pym was a real historic member of the Avengers and a personal Marvel favorite of his.
Well, we've heard of him NOW, and we're not laughing. Unless we're laughing with Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas's performances.

That's sort of what I was referring to with the pre-MCU Captain America--Some heroes naturally lent themselves to cheap idiotic jokes (I remember one conversation where some idiot had never heard of Thor, and kept trying to steer jokes about "A hammer? What does he do, pound Asgardian nails?"), and a good MCU adaptation delivered the complexity of the character for those unaccustomed.
A problem Spiderman never ran into, since his appeal was self-explanatory (the worst he ever got was jokes about the 60's theme song), or the X-Men, at the beginning (who most non-readers had literally never heard of before the 90's cartoon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2