• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Subpoenas Cloud Hosting Platform Over Copyright Infringement of One Piece Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Seriously, this whole DMCA thing needs to be stopped! DMCA must be abolished for good!

While admirable,I guess that also means the creators of said media would be without a paycheque,not to mention the voice actors,the producers,the writers,and whoever works on the projects.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
I guess i still have no choice but to watch pirated copies. Great job.

Twenty years ago, anime fans had "no choice but to watch pirated copies" because they didn't like that official releases used yellow subtitles instead of white subtitles. There is always going to be some excuse, like:

"it's not available legally in my country" (the people who are most likely to know where to find pirate anime websites and torrents are also the most likely to know how to trick streaming websites into thinking that they live in another country, so it sure is astonishing that they can't put two and two together)

or "Funimation doesn't stream the show I want even though they released it on Blu-ray" (which obviously is due to their desire to spite their customers, rather than the fact that streaming licensing is negotiated separately from physical media rights).

Whenever Funimation comes after intellectual property thieves people always swear up and down that they'll never support Funimation ever again. Guess what? Funimation knows you are never going to give them money. They aren't going after KissAnime because they think it will suddenly increase their own sales. They are doing it because US intellectual property law requires them to sue anyone who violates their IP.

They could give a damn whether suing KissAnime actually shuts down the KissAnime website. The important thing is that suing KissAnime covers their own asses, not that it actually prevents piracy.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
"it's not available legally in my country" (the people who are most likely to know where to find pirate anime websites and torrents are also the most likely to know how to trick streaming websites into thinking that they live in another country, so it sure is astonishing that they can't put two and two together)

Knowing what the rules most streaming services have in place over things like vpns and region-block circumventing, case in point Netflix, I really don't give a damn in such cases, I just pirate it outright. And can't say I feel any bad about it...

Quote:
They aren't going after KissAnime because they think it will suddenly increase their own sales. They are doing it because US intellectual property law requires them to sue anyone who violates their IP.

They could give a damn whether suing KissAnime actually shuts down the KissAnime website. The important thing is that suing KissAnime covers their own asses, not that it actually prevents piracy.

More likely, it was a show for Toei by Funimation, the covering their asses part. It's not like they went after the source, after all KissAnime and whoever uploaded it there were just middle-men. They learned their lesson back 2011 when they tried to sue a bunch of bittorrent users. All cases were eventually dropped. At first they attempted to keep one case alive but even that went nowhere fast...
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

I remember when the Simulcast came around and people in the US were refusing to use it because of FUNimation translating the word 'nakama', because of the Toei logo, or because it wasn't super Blu-Ray 1080 quality (understand back then there was no paid HD version). These are not reasons to justify going to illegal methods but people did it anyway, and they always will find a reason to snub anything legal sites do so they can continue to download the most HD fansubs for free.

Not wanting to pay for a subpar product seems perfectly reasonable to me. No one is under any obligation to support something just because it's the legal version when better alternatives exist.

What you've posted here is the very definition of false entitlement. Anime is a product. You are not entitled to it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
It doesn't help that some people who used the site in question had a habit of going up to Crunchyroll's booth at conventions and loudly bragging to the reps at the booth about how they proudly used illegal sites (specifically namedropping that one). It's like they were asking for these companies to take legal action against it.

LOL this is so silly
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The amount of people on her tooting their own horn about openly pirating is just weird. I feel like it's such a Don't ask Don't tell kinda thing you don't ask people if they do it and they don't ask you and we respect that fairly.

You can pirate that's fine but running around wearing it like it's a badge of honor is just silly since you are ethically in the wrong. It's not something to be proud of it's shameful that you would do something wrong and they act like your the good guy, and having the audacity to scold Funimation, get off your high horses and look around. Anyone who pirates over a water mark from Toei, or the choice to translate Nakama is just making excuses to try and justify what they know is wrong. (Don't even get me started on some One Piece Fans obsession with this word and thinking it's untranslatable, there a reason Steve from the One Piece Podcast calls it "The N-word")

On another not the amount of people on the Internet, on sites like this or Reddit who are totally ignorant of how businesses operate and function who think that any problem can just be solved by saying "But just fix it though." is astounding. Take a few business administration courses in college and see how it's not that easy. If you have to put in a whole new system it can take a year and more just to plan, budget and prepare to start work before you take months to build and test and then roll out a product you hope functions and isn't obsolete by the time it's done.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

On another not the amount of people on the Internet, on sites like this or Reddit who are totally ignorant of how businesses operate and function who think that any problem can just be solved by saying "But just fix it though." is astounding. Take a few business administration courses in college and see how it's not that easy. If you have to put in a whole new system it can take a year and more just to plan, budget and prepare to start work before you take months to build and test and then roll out a product you hope functions and isn't obsolete by the time it's done.
I don't support pirating. Never have, never will, but for those of us who have been fans of anime for more or less 20 years we know that most "legit " streaming sites started life as "illegit" streaming sites from basements, bedrooms, or uni student dorms so it's not that hard, or expensive to set up a decent enough site. The expensive part is to get to show titles through legit licenses from the originators, but if the legit streamers' quality of service is only as good as, or worse than the illegit sites then I can understand why some will use them instead of paying for the same quality. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. Wink
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Hey, we already have two people who know how to run Funimation's business better than they do. God I love the internet.

Don't worry, I love the internet because they have smartasses like you too. Can't believe people are satisfied with their crappy services! That just sums up the word "QUALITY" in their eyes! Laughing Laughing Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Can't believe people are satisfied with their crappy services!

well, it works for me. always has. So, I guess I'm sorry?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Can't believe people are satisfied with their crappy services!

Sorry you are having problems, but you don't speak for me or my consumer experiences.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
I suspect the end might be near for Kissanime. But that will just mean another three or four new sites will pop up to take its place.

I always think it's funny when people bring up the Hydra mentality when it comes to piracy, largely because A. Hydra was defeated, and B. it involved chopping off the head and then burning the stub so severely as to make sure other heads wouldn't pop up again. How that solution might correlate to cracking down on these illegal streaming sites I think is a fun exercise in imagination.

I'm glad somebody is finally possibly going after KissAnime. I've worked with web companies before (and even worked on Digital Ocean servers), and I know that these sites can make a killing off of ad revenues combined with paid subscriptions. Actually, the fact that KissAnime is able to flagrantly offer subscriptions despite not owning the content, I think, is pretty head-scratching.

And for anyone that makes the case that it's an issue with region-blocking, if you check the Alexa rankings for KissAnime --- a plurality of the site visitors are from the US and Japan, where their most popularly-viewed titles are already legally available.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
why do I get the feeling that almost all the salt in the forum right now against funimation are from people using kissanime or are from people just pissed about funimations streaming service or are just people jumping on the salt bandwagon for the sake of being in a group?

Personally I hate Funimation because of their data breech which exposed customer info (of which mine was included), and I have yet to receive any notification from Funimation about it. If I hadn't seen the notice here at ANN about it, I still wouldn't know.

Almost any company can get hacked if someone really wants to get in -- but if it happens you tell your customers yourself that it happened. Otherwise customers can't take appropriate mitigation efforts themselves.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
To me streaming has been the trial/early access period for anime. I got my Crunchyroll and AnimeLab subscriptions and that's where I watch simulcast or shows I'm unsure of. But if it's a big show or something I hear high opinions of, then I'll buy a physical release for that full 1080p goodness. People should at least be grateful they can even access these shows and drop the entitlement, I paid $30 for 4 episodes of DBZ 15 years ago in amazing 480p DVD quality, $7 for 1080p anime even if it has a bad bit rate is perfectly freaking perfect to me who's seen how far we've come. And if I want better quality then I'll just buy the blu-ray.[/quote]
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
The Count wrote:
Hey, we already have two people who know how to run Funimation's business better than they do. God I love the internet.

Don't worry, I love the internet because they have smartasses like you too. Can't believe people are satisfied with their crappy services! That just sums up the word "QUALITY" in their eyes! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thanks for putting words in my mouth ass. I didn't not say their services are of good quality, I simply inferred that Funimation knows what they legally must do better than internet jackass A or B (such as you).

I have plenty of problems with Funimation's streaming. Outside of my Xbox one the interface of the app is horrid, video quality isn't always where i'd like it and most recently I can't use my credit card that I still use for everything to subscribe, so I've just stopped using the app. That doesn't mean I get to be a freeloader and pirate every and any show I want.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
All I want to say is I hate the notion of Funimation making huge bucks for such an appalling quality service. If they have time to sue every offender here and there, then they could've use that time to just do better for the sake of those who pays. If that means that I know better than them, then it's your call. It just shows you cannot simply accept a fair point coming from Internet Jackass A.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5