• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Black Butler Creator Comments on Works With Homosexual Love

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It seems when you have 2 same-sex characters that are really close, which is often brotherly, it is hard not for the "gay vibe" to appear. I think one of the worst fujoshi circles I've seen is Alphonse/Edward. They are freaking brothers!

This! Although, it's kind of funny how the twins in Ouran make fun of this tendency...
Stuart Smith wrote:
shiranehito wrote:

A lot of characters in shounen genre series are mostly engaged in bromance and pure friendship, and yet each episode/chapter, a lot of [Americans] translate it at something else, something romance and gay in their head.

Keep in mind anime is a 'nerd' hobby. A lot of those people are probably socially ostrisized so they project on fictional characters... they think two people hugging or being friendly is a sign of non-platonic romance.
-Stuart Smith

I added "Americans" to shiranehito's comment because I feel strongly that this is a cultural issue. People who grow up in more gender segregated cultures have a different view of what's acceptable in same-sex platonic friendships than people who grew up in less gender segregated settings. I grew up following a gender segregated religion and attending all-girls' parochial schools through my first 2 years of college. S-class female relationships in anime and manga reflect friendships I've observed and experienced myself--very close friendships between girls, that include hugging and other physical contact, that don't become sexual, and whose participants aren't interested in making sexual or romantic. That's not erasing the experiences of lesbian or bi girls who had friendships like that which became (or wanted to become) something more, or saying that Utena or Sound Euphonium don't have yuri intentions (they do), but that not every close friendship between two girls or two boys is indicative of romantic or sexual interest. I've read that people who grew up in other gender segregated cultures--middle eastern countries, for example, are more likely to recognize that than people who grew up in secular western European or North American cultures. I don't blame them, it's all about cultural norms. But I wish people would recognize that, rather than criticize *all* close same sex relationships in fiction from other cultures as queer-baiting.
TL;DR: Not every "S-Class" anime or manga relationship is meant to be coded yuri. There really are girls in all girls schools who have platonic friendships that close, and then go on to have romantic relationships with men when they are older. It's not meant to be an erasure of your experience, it's a reflection of experiences similar to mine.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Sebastian x Ciel isn't problematic because it's two guys. It's problematic because it's pedophilia.

It's weird to me that that isn't the discussion at hand.

Probably because both Sebastian and Ciel are FICTIONAL, IMAGINARY CHARACTERS. Come on, you've got to be smarter than this.

Last edited by razberry_yum on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:
Ciel is a child.. There shouldn't be a romance between him and Sebastian in the 1st place..

Ciel is a character who doesn't exist. No offense, but if you're unable to understand the difference between imaginary 2-D characters and real life people, the problem is not with the people who created the fictional characters or the people who are able to separate reality from fiction, the problem is with YOU. With all due respect, perhaps it's time to take a break from watching cartoons as it's getting too real for you.

Last edited by razberry_yum on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Quote:
It's weird how male couples are immediately labelled as "for fujoshi" and also weird how people will deny them.

Amen. I hope more creators take up this line of reasoning and push prominent queer characters out of the various genre closets into which they tend to get funneled. I totally appreciate the argument for subtext which generally makes for stronger storytelling, but it also kind of sucks when heterosexual romance isn't confined to that kind of "mature" narrative and therefore feels more prominent by comparison. I'm sure a lot of kids (and adults!) out there would feel affirmed by non-stereotyped, upfront, unapologetic representation of queer gender and romance themes as part of their typical media consumption.

Totally agree with your statement, Alexis-san. If those themes become text instead of subtext, maybe the need to force meaning into subtext that may or may not be there won't be necessary anymore.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I feel like since YOI thisnshipping thing has gotten a million times worse. And why must everyone assume that any time two same-sex characters interacts it has to be gay?? Can we stop with all that nonsense?? This is what annoys me. Nowadays it's either a character HAS to be gay or it's not good. Like, seriously?? It annoys me so much because now everyone js like, "oh, are they gay?? It"ll be great to see a non fetish-like relationship". That pisses me off so much. Like stop pushing your ideals onto characters who aren't like that!! Not every character has to be gay!! I have nothing against gay characters because i love yaoi and all, but people need to control themselves.

But my question to you and others like you is: why are you even bothered by how other people choose to enjoy their media? Look, there's a whole ton of ships I don't support or don't see or even understand, but if folks want to ship them, it's no skin off my back. I'll just enjoy the series my own way. I do agree that fans cross the line when they threaten the creators for not fulfilling their wishes about their ships, but when it's just harmless shipping where they're commenting or posting stuff, guess what I do? I just skip over the posts. No big deal. Why even get angry about it. It's like the anti posts I see...I think it's sad that people like to waste their time hating on people loving stuff, but instead of attacking them or getting all worked up about it, I just ignore them.

And maybe why fans have to constantly go the route of "are they gay" etc is because there IS a drought of healthy gay characters/couples in anime/manga. It's indicative of a bigger problem of the general animanga genre. If more mainstream series proudly presented interesting, dynamic gay characters and couples (like Yuri on Ice did), maybe fans who are thirsting for that type of representation won't need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for things that aren't really there.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I feel like since YOI thisnshipping thing has gotten a million times worse. And why must everyone assume that any time two same-sex characters interacts it has to be gay?? Can we stop with all that nonsense?? This is what annoys me. Nowadays it's either a character HAS to be gay or it's not good. Like, seriously?? It annoys me so much because now everyone js like, "oh, are they gay?? It"ll be great to see a non fetish-like relationship". That pisses me off so much. Like stop pushing your ideals onto characters who aren't like that!! Not every character has to be gay!! I have nothing against gay characters because i love yaoi and all, but people need to control themselves.

But my question to you and others like you is: why are you even bothered by how other people choose to enjoy their media? Look, there's a whole ton of ships I don't support or don't see or even understand, but if folks want to ship them, it's no skin off my back. I'll just enjoy the series my own way. I do agree that fans cross the line when they threaten the creators for not fulfilling their wishes about their ships, but when it's just harmless shipping where they're commenting or posting stuff, guess what I do? I just skip over the posts. No big deal. Why even get angry about it. It's like the anti posts I see...I think it's sad that people like to waste their time hating on people loving stuff, but instead of attacking them or getting all worked up about it, I just ignore them.

And maybe why fans have to constantly go the route of "are they gay" etc is because there IS a drought of healthy gay characters/couples in anime/manga. It's indicative of a bigger problem of the general animanga genre. If more mainstream series proudly presented interesting, dynamic gay characters and couples (like Yuri on Ice did), maybe fans who are thirsting for that type of representation won't need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for things that aren't really there.

That still doesn't really excuse their behavior. And I don't mind that people fantasize about yaoi relationships or whatever. It's just that there is no excuse to harass others and force pairs onto series and claim "well, it's harmless". It's really not. And in my opinion it got extremely worse when YOI aired. Now tons of people are forcing their ideals onto creators and threatening them and it's getting really out of hand. I know there is a line when it comes to manga/anime content and real life. However, not everyone is up for yaoi relationships being shoved down their throats. You can't force a dramatic change in the industry. Not everyone wants yaoi in their series and some people have to respect that. (I don't mean this is a mean way or anything, i'm just trying to explain my pov).
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
That still doesn't really excuse their behavior. And I don't mind that people fantasize about yaoi relationships or whatever. It's just that there is no excuse to harass others and force pairs onto series and claim "well, it's harmless". It's really not. And in my opinion it got extremely worse when YOI aired. Now tons of people are forcing their ideals onto creators and threatening them and it's getting really out of hand. I know there is a line when it comes to manga/anime content and real life. However, not everyone is up for yaoi relationships being shoved down their throats. You can't force a dramatic change in the industry. Not everyone wants yaoi in their series and some people have to respect that. (I don't mean this is a mean way or anything, i'm just trying to explain my pov).

Kiminobokuwa-san, how is yaoi being shoved down your throat? I really don't even understand what you're saying in that aspect. No one can force you to ship or like something you don't. And I've already said I do agree fans cross the line when they threaten the creators, but then again many fans in general tend to cross the line about certain things. And where is all the yaoi in all the series that you're seeing? Characters that have been straight are STILL straight. Just because folks fantasize about it or creators queerbait, doesn't mean any actual change has come about that will alter how the industry is run. I honestly don't see a big change occurring in the industry. Yuri on Ice could very well be just a flash in the pan. I mean, please school me if I'm wrong, but are there actually undoubtedly gay characters and couples shown in a positive light who are actually the main characters in any of the new series coming out or any long-running series? From what I've seen, most of it has just been empty queer-baiting with no intention of following through, so how HAS the industry been forced to change in ANY way? Don't worry, I think you can continue to enjoy your series without any of the icky gay stuff you're so against. I also think you're overestimating the power of yaoi fans, my friend.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
stuff

Kiminobokuwa-san, how is yaoi being shoved down your throat? I really don't even understand what you're saying in that aspect. No one can force you to ship or like something you don't. And I've already said I do agree fans cross the line when they threaten the creators, but then again many fans in general tend to cross the line about certain things. And where is all the yaoi in all the series that you're seeing? Characters that have been straight are STILL straight. Just because folks fantasize about it or creators queerbait, doesn't mean any actual change has come about that will alter how the industry is run. I honestly don't see a big change occurring in the industry. Yuri on Ice could very well be just a flash in the pan. I mean, please school me if I'm wrong, but are there actually undoubtedly gay characters and couples shown in a positive light who are actually the main characters in any of the new series coming out or any long-running series? From what I've seen, most of it has just been empty queer-baiting with no intention of following through, so how HAS the industry been forced to change in ANY way? Don't worry, I think you can continue to enjoy your series without any of the icky gay stuff you're so against. I also think you're overestimating the power of yaoi fans, my friend.

What did I say wrong?? I'm not against yaoi stuff. You're taking my post and twisting it. I meant that nowadays you can't watch a series without someone saying "omg!! Are they a gay couple?? I bet they are, the author doesn't want to admit it.". I'm sure you probably never seen it, but it still happens. Some people try to force their logic down others throats. You're doing it right now actually in a way. I never said I was against yaoi yet you assume because I said "they are shoving the yaoi logic down our throat" that means i'm homophobic. That is ENTIRELY false. And you're not helping the cause by saying that about me. The industry has been forced to change somehow because more and more fans of shows are beating the point over people's head that there should be more yaoi couples in shows where there isn't a need for it or whatever. And i'm not overestimating it. Have you seen YOI fans?? Most of them are toxic, well the ones i've come across are anyways. I'm not against yaoi in any way possible, it just tends to get annoying when it's "yaoi this" or "yaoi that". I said it's just from my Point of view (pov). No need to say i'm against that stuff. That was very harsh and irrational of you to assume about me.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
What did I say wrong?? I'm not against yaoi stuff. You're taking my post and twisting it. I meant that nowadays you can't watch a series without someone saying "omg!! Are they a gay couple?? I bet they are, the author doesn't want to admit it.". I'm sure you probably never seen it, but it still happens. Some people try to force their logic down others throats. You're doing it right now actually in a way. I never said I was against yaoi yet you assume because I said "they are shoving the yaoi logic down our throat" that means i'm homophobic. That is ENTIRELY false. And you're not helping the cause by saying that about me. The industry has been forced to change somehow because more and more fans of shows are beating the point over people's head that there should be more yaoi couples in shows where there isn't a need for it or whatever. And i'm not overestimating it. Have you seen YOI fans?? Most of them are toxic, well the ones i've come across are anyways. I'm not against yaoi in any way possible, it just tends to get annoying when it's "yaoi this" or "yaoi that". I said it's just from my Point of view (pov). No need to say i'm against that stuff. That was very harsh and irrational of you to assume about me.

I apologize for misunderstanding your beliefs. I didn't think you were homophobic at first but then when you started emphatically bearing down on yaoi and yaoi fans, I got a little confused, I guess. Because honestly, I could say the same about hetero romances being forced upon us in stories/characters even when they don't necessary fit. I've seen people ship straight pairings that to me absolutely make not one lick of sense too so I would say shipping is sometimes unreasonable regardless of the sexes involved. I guess where homophobia is sometimes inferred is because folks tend to attack potential yaoi couplings, whether they make sense or not, rather than hetero couplings, even when they are guilty of the same failings.

But ultimately, I still don't understand how people are forcing yaoi down your throat. Just by talking about it? By bringing it up? If you do not believe certain characters to be gay or whatever, how does it matter to you anyway? Just don't join in on those discussions. You can't control what others say about things. As for your statement about most YOI fans being toxic, that is rather befuddling to me too...how are they toxic? Because they talk about something they love? I've been in the presence of many YOI fans and they are generally lovely, positive folks who are passionate about what they love because it's such a rare event. Where is the toxicity in that? I don't mean to make you feel angrier or anything, but I guess I'm just trying to understand why you are so upset about people's fantasies/interpretations/appreciation of something.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
Because honestly, I could say the same about hetero romances being forced upon us in stories/characters even when they don't necessary fit. I've seen people ship straight pairings that to me absolutely make not one lick of sense too so I would say shipping is sometimes unreasonable regardless of the sexes involved. I guess where homophobia is sometimes inferred is because folks tend to attack potential yaoi couplings, whether they make sense or not, rather than hetero couplings, even when they are guilty of the same failings.

The elephant in the room is the fact the vast majority of people in the world are straight. If 99% of a culture are not gay, it's not exactly a huge leap in logic to pair up a harem MC with one of the girls like pairing him up with his male buddy would. You can't really 'force' heterosexual relationships in anime any more than you can say anime 'forces' Japanese characters on us. It's simply a reflection of the culture it was made in.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
PsychoPearl wrote:
Ciel is a child.. There shouldn't be a romance between him and Sebastian in the 1st place..

Ciel is a character who doesn't exist. No offense, but if you're unable to understand the difference between imaginary 2-D characters and real life people, the problem is not with the people who created the fictional characters or the people who are able to separate reality from fiction, the problem is with YOU. With all due respect, perhaps it's time to take a break from watching cartoons as it's getting too real for you.
Fictional characters can't be positive representations of queer relationships when the relationships are good, but imaginary when their relationships crosses the line and becomes problematic and negative. It's like saying that people shouldn't be upset at "rape=love" tropes in yaoi while also saying that fans should be glad for the gay representation in rapey yaoi.
nogara119

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I can actually see both points:

- People should be able to ship whomever they want without someone being a jerk about it. I mean that's the fun of fandom right? People are gonna ship whomever they want regardless.

-Fans should keep in mind when it comes to 'THERE SHOULD BE YAOI IN EVERYTHING!' that Japan has a different view on LGBT then the West/US does. And not everyone is going to want yaoi/yuri shoved into their faces.

And I'm sorry but shipping when one party is a minor? I find it problematic. Yes, I know it's fiction, but I still find it a bit problematic. In this case though, since this is referring to Black Butler, I always found Ciel/Seb to be a combo of father/son/pet/master but whatever...

And people think YOI is straight? spoiler[I mean it's spelled out midway that both MCs have romantic feelings toward each other. Part of the reason why I enjoyed YOI is the fact that it wasn't a conventional romance]
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Fictional characters can't be positive representations of queer relationships when the relationships are good, but imaginary when their relationships crosses the line and becomes problematic and negative.

I don't see why not...isn't that what our ability to compartmentalize is for?

Agent355 wrote:
It's like saying that people shouldn't be upset at "rape=love" tropes in yaoi while also saying that fans should be glad for the gay representation in rapey yaoi.

The difference comes in when people attack fans who aren't upset at the rape=love tropes because they recognize it as being fictional and are able to enjoy it because it is fictional. I mean, would you call people who enjoy shows like Dexter being pro-murder (I wanted to come up with an anime equivalent but my mind is drawing a blank)? No, that would be silly, right? So why can't the same be applied to folks who enjoy other imaginary characters/relationships and not have to be in fear of being labeled as such and such? Pedophilia is a very serious crime and I just think there's something disturbing at the ease by which people throw around that term to apply to anime characters whom by their very imaginary nature cannot be victims. It feels like we're diluting the real serious issue of pedophilia somehow by doing that, especially when I question people's motives for using that word as a weapon.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
nogara119 wrote:
I can actually see both points:

- People should be able to ship whomever they want without someone being a jerk about it. I mean that's the fun of fandom right? People are gonna ship whomever they want regardless.

-Fans should keep in mind when it comes to 'THERE SHOULD BE YAOI IN EVERYTHING!' that Japan has a different view on LGBT then the West/US does. And not everyone is going to want yaoi/yuri shoved into their faces.

And I'm sorry but shipping when one party is a minor? I find it problematic. Yes, I know it's fiction, but I still find it a bit problematic. In this case though, since this is referring to Black Butler, I always found Ciel/Seb to be a combo of father/son/pet/master but whatever...

And people think YOI is straight? spoiler[I mean it's spelled out midway that both MCs have romantic feelings toward each other. Part of the reason why I enjoyed YOI is the fact that it wasn't a conventional romance]

Nogara-san, here's what might be different about you and others who find Seb/Ciel problematic: are you going around yelling pedophile at people who are shipping Seb/Ciel? probably not, right? That pairing squicks you, you don't support it, but you probably just leave it alone and people who ship them, regardless of their reasons. You probably won't actively attack people for it like so many fans do these days. I think that's what is making the general animanga fandom toxic these days. It's a type of bullying and kind of disgusting on its own.

yeah, there are people who still think Viktor and Yuuri are straight. Which is fine since I guess there's still some room for that kind of interpretation...it's not like they've had sex or gotten married yet. If these same people applied the same burden of proof to hetero couples in anime, I'd feel just a little bit better.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
The elephant in the room is the fact the vast majority of people in the world are straight. If 99% of a culture are not gay, it's not exactly a huge leap in logic to pair up a harem MC with one of the girls like pairing him up with his male buddy would. You can't really 'force' heterosexual relationships in anime any more than you can say anime 'forces' Japanese characters on us. It's simply a reflection of the culture it was made in.

I dunnnoooo, there have been some straight pairings in anime that I've felt have been "forced" upon us (*cough* Naruto *cough*). So I think it might be based on our POV on what makes sense. How the male character was originally presented may also have an impact on whether or not their eventual pairing with a female is logical. If there was no real indication of his sexuality to begin with or it seemed flexible, then it might make just as much sense pairing him with a harem girl (why harem again?) than with one of his male buddies.

Btw, you think 99% of Japanese people are not gay? That sounds kinda high. Lol. But with the Japanese culture, and Asian culture in general, I think old social norms/practices/customs and even societal repression do play a big part as well. So it might not just be a matter of different forms of media reflecting the truth of their society, but more like media being forced to reflect what they want the truth of their society to be, even though it's not really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7