• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Works by Masaaki Yuasa & Where to Find Them

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogrin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't love everything by Yuasa (I only got halfway through Kaiba and Crybaby before quitting from boredom, for example), but he's such an incredible artist I will always try anything he makes just to see what he's up to next. I only recently watched Mind Game for the first time, and oh my god, I was totally blown away. Before that I was torn between Ping Pong and Tatami as my favorite work of his but this might take the cake. I had no idea it was getting a limited theater re-release soon. Please post another update about that if you can when you have the details! I would absolutely love to see it on a big screen if it's showing anywhere near me.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed everything I've seen by him (Tatami, Ping Pong, and Kaiba being my top pick). Devilman doesn't really sound up my alley though if the main attractions are just gore, boobs, and cool art.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Devilman doesn't really sound up my alley though if the main attractions are just gore, boobs, and cool art.

If that content is a significant deterrent for you, definitely don't force it, but if you are able to put up with that kind of content for a good story and some solid thematic material, than it is most definitely worth your time. I think it depends on the person, but the gore and boobs were not the main attractions for me, and probably a lot of people who enjoyed it.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
If you have seen the art and thought "I like this, it looks different" but saw boob demons

I have to admit this got my attention faster than ping pong. Now, is that demons with boobs or boobs that are demons? I think its an important distinction but I suppose either could work.

It's both, and absolutely how I want to die.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven’t seen all of his works but probably my favorite was Tatami Galaxy. I also really liked Kaiba although I kind of remember not feeling completely satisfied at the ending.

Not really sure Devilman is the type of series I’ll appreciate. However I do really need to watch Ping Pong one of these days.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I love Ping Pong, it's the only sports anime I've seen that captures my attention all the way through based on how dynamic it is Most sports, and anime based on them, bore me, but Ping Pong was so incredibly animated the sports aspect didn't matter!
I've been meaning to watch The Tatami Galaxy--not only is the anime directed by Yuasa, but the author of the original novel, Tomohiko Morimi, also wrote the novels The Eccentric Family's 2 seasons are based, and I love The Eccentric Family. For some reason, people barely bring up that The Tatami Galaxy and The Eccentric Family have the same author. The only problem is how verbose the show is. I can't catch all the subtitles, and keep rewinding over and over and losing my place...I hope Walk on Girl is less wordy.

Cowboy Bebop is not my favorite anime. In fact, it being the one of the only anime for adults I was familiar with for a while kinda turned me off anime for a while. But I've seen it many times since then and found a lot to love in it (besides Ed, who I always loved). It is just so iconic I had to vote for it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I've loved everything I've seen with Masaaki Yuasa's name on it, though that's admittedly not nearly enough. I watched Kaiba early on in my anime fandom, and the combination of the indescribable visual experience and thought-provoking story hooked me immediately. I jumped right on backing Kick-Heart when it was announced, and that was a whole ball of weird fun. Gotta love the work he's done on Shinichiro Watanabe's projects too: his episode of Space Dandy was a total trip, and he contributed a crazy little burst of animation to Samurai Champloo as well. I have Ping Pong sitting in my physical backlog, I can't wait to grab Mind Game, and if/when Anime Limited puts out a regular edition of Tatami Galaxy in the UK, I'll be all over that too.

1998 was an absolute beast of a year as far as anime releases were concerned. Outlaw Star, Trigun, Serial Experiments Lain, Jin-Roh, the first Pokemon movie, Cardcaptor Sakura, His and Her Circumstances, a Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA...wow. But there's only one correct answer to that poll, only one show that's been off-and-on US cable TV for 17 years and counting. I don't know how many times I've sat through it, but it just never gets old. Bang.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
Geeze, guys, you're making me choose between Trigun, Initial D, Karekano, and CCS?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
I love Kemonozume and The Tatami Galaxy. Masaaki Yuasa is fantastic. I remember the first time I saw his work...episode nine of Samurai Champloo.

I voted Cardcaptor Sakura. I think it might win. If I could choose a two more for a top three it’d be Jin-Roh and Blue Submarine No 6.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I love Yuasa's work, and was introduced to it via Kaiba and the Star Crossed Anime Blog.
I absolutely loved the show, and tracked down anything and everything that I could find that Yuasa had a significant part of, from The Squash Seller, to Vampyan Kids, Noiseman Sound Insect, the Space Show in Welcome to the Space Show... and of course, the larger productions like Mind Game and Kemonozume. The Kick Heart kickstarter was one of the first that I backed (to the tune of $100...)

I cooled off a bit in more recent years as I still have yet to see the two movies (waiting for a legit stateside release) and Ping Pong (mostly because I have a hard time in general with sports shows) but he's still easily my favorite director (at least until Ikuhara releases a new work that I can connect with as much as I did Utena).
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Yuasa is one of the few consistently shining stars among modern anime directors we've got going. The other great directors are either dead (like Satoshi Kon) or are retire.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I just watched Kemonozume last year for the first time, it totally blew me away, it was like a post-modern take on 80s and 90s "gore anime" like Genocyber and Biohunter, it was fantastic.

And now I learn the creator of it has just come out with a new show exactly in the same vein as Kemonozume? I GOT to check that out.

By the way, I had to watch a fansub of Kemonozume since as the article points out there is no English release, but I would gladly by an official release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2