• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Can Fans Ever License Obscure Shows Themselves?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Who was that one weird guy with the ova that tried to do this and got shut down? I remember he ended up getting arrested and it was quite a shitshow.

Corey Maddox. ISTR pretty recently stumbling across a folder I made in my bookmarks for that stuff when it was happening.

Yeah that's the one. Couldn't remember his name Laughing
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Is it bad that this discussion has me tempted to try this? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, now I remember Crimson Star Media. I was still relatively new to the fandom and was just excited about a new company. I even went to the one live chat that was hosted, where Corey promised he was working on some big things...none of which ever saw the light of day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
What's the anime in the icon for this article on the ANN front page? Is that Looking Up at the Half Moon?

yea Corey Maddox tried to make a anime company to put it out justin even did some work on it then he messed his parole going to a anime con and back to jail he went and Right Stuff picked up the pieces

Last edited by Nate148 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Is it bad that this discussion has me tempted to try this? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I don't think so. If you have passion, the money, the ability to do everything that Justin brought up in his answer (or at least know people who can help you with it), &, most importantly, a plan, then I'd say that it's always worth giving it a try. If anything, just start with something small, like a OVA or movie, so that if you fail after getting it out, then at least you've fully released something.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Do it. Do it or forever be remembered as a coward.

You just know there's a burgeoning audience for, errr, Eto Ranger on DVD or some shit like that!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Do it. Do it or forever be remembered as a coward.

You just know there's a burgeoning audience for, errr, Eto Ranger on DVD or some shit like that!

Haha, I'm trying to decide if this should be classified as being "supportive" or "an enabler". Laughing
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Basically the less skills and experience you have doing all the various steps needed to license/localize/produce an anime DVD/bluray (or whatever other media you are trying to make, like a dub), the more money it will take.

If you have $1 million to blow, even a complete idiot could probably license an anime if they wanted to and hire a ton of people to license it (agent), deal with materials (editing lab), localize it (subtitle company), author it (Authoring studio), and print and distro it.

But using an agent would probably not really count towards what the question was asking I think, as I'd say the assumption was that it was a fan or collection of fans without too much money. In that case, unless you know someone with connections in the industry, it's nearly impossible. (Depends on the company that holds the rights to the anime you are trying to license, but unless it's just sitting there in someone's catalog ready to go, you probably won't even get a serious meeting).

Some real advice though: Get a suit, get a business card, and show up at the Anime Japan Business days. If you stalk booths enough you might be able to exchange cards or even catch someone at a time between meetings when you could in theory schedule 5 minutes later to talk to them. You could try to schedule a meeting ahead of time too but if you're a nobody don't hold your breath.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

If you’ve got the ambition, do it! Start with something small, look around online for common license requests, and read Justin Sevakis’ “All About Licensing” series so you know of the unfortunate (fictional) tale of Saliva Princess what not to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I have to give props to the Anime Midstream guys, it may have took them five years but they managed to release a complete 51 episode series on DVD, half of which with an amateurish but surprisingly enjoyable dub to boot (would love to see some of the people involved go on to do more things).
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Win one of the Mega Lotteries, with $100 Million or so in the bank, hire Justin and Zack as consultants, get some real good American & Japanese Attorneys that specialize in entertainment. Then and only then can you start making a small fortune in Anime.

But boy will you have fun!

Mark Gosdin

Aw heck, if you win one of those mega lotteries, you can just produce your own anime and be the sole owner of rights Very Happy
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
If I had any business sense and enough money, I'd license Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko TV, complete with the AXN Asia English dub.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:30 am Reply with quote
Hey, according to Funimation, it's within the realm of possibility for fans to do this:

Quote:
You're better off asking Sentai or Nozomi to do at least a sub-only of the other WTC's. Heck, you could probably get the money together to license and distribute them yourselves. It's probably not expensive anymore. If Umineko sold as poorly in Japan as you say it did, then go after that one. It's not as big an undertaking as you might think especially if you pool your money.

v1cious wrote:
Who was that one weird guy with the ova that tried to do this and got shut down? I remember he ended up getting arrested and it was quite a shitshow.
Minor "actually" fact: Looking Up at the Half-Moon was a 6-episode TV series, not an OVA. It might have aired in the first half of a standard 1-cour timeslot, with the 6-episode Momo: The Girl God of Death beginning the week after Half-Moon ended, back in the Winter '06 season.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Hey, according to Funimation, it's within the realm of possibility for fans to do this:

Quote:
You're better off asking Sentai or Nozomi to do at least a sub-only of the other WTC's. Heck, you could probably get the money together to license and distribute them yourselves. It's probably not expensive anymore. If Umineko sold as poorly in Japan as you say it did, then go after that one. It's not as big an undertaking as you might think especially if you pool your money.

I really wonder, what hope there is for international fans of anime that have a sort-of medium-sized fandom in Japan (or small but obsessed fandom), but have about ten fans on any given English site (that is, 2-page discussion threads where 30+ pages is standard, less than five comments on Crunchyroll per episode, etc.). Two of my favorites are this type, and they came out last year...
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
It seems to me all of these one hit wonders, fan enterprises and dreamers all didn't account for promoting the product. Licensing is one thing, manufacturing and selling are others, but the need to let people know about has to be managed professionally. You have to shout even louder as you're not an established player with a built in fanbase.

If AnimeSols couldn't do it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3