• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation: No more Higurashi.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Source: New FUNimation forums

Sophie wrote:
Hey, guys. I'm on the Acquisitions Team, so here's your answer straight up. I hope this doesn't come off as too blunt. Please understand that this is just how it is.

artist_for_hire wrote:
At the very least Sentai Flimworks could license Kai for a subtitle only release, you know like how they did for Hell Girl seasons 2 & 3 (What the hell happened Funi? Why no Hell Girl seasons 2 & 3 dub?).

Because not enough people bought Hell Girl season 1. Hell Girl had a lot of marketing support behind it. We actually did a bit more for that show since that was in the early days when we didn't have as many shows. Not enough people buy dramas.

Whey They Cry has expired and is past the sell-off period. It was the only WTC series that was a part of the original distro deal with Geneon. We renewed the titles that were part of that deal that did sell well. We let expire the ones that didn't. That inludes my beloved The Familar of Zero.

The WTC sequels and Umineko were not part of that agreement. We do not have the license to any of those series. Unfortunately, because WTC series 1 sold poorly, we will never buy the license to the sequels or any other title that bears even a minor resemblance.

You're better off asking Sentai or Nozomi to do at least a sub-only of the other WTC's. Heck, you could probably get the money together to license and distribute them yourselves. It's probably not expensive anymore. If Umineko sold as poorly in Japan as you say it did, then go after that one. It's not as big an undertaking as you might think especially if you pool your money.

Aside from that, the best thing you can do as fans is to buy series 1 from Amazon (so we can track it) and continue to post in the forum about how much you enjoy the show.

You can ask at cons or email Feedback, but do you know what will happen? Rojas will forward everything to me or my coworker. You've gotten through to exactly who you needed to, so mission accomplished. I'm aware of the series, and I love me some Sea Cats. Hell, I've cosplayed as Beato, and I'm playing the game. Unfortunately, I have to look at sales data, and signs point to not buying the sequels or Umineko and instead putting our money toward less riskier titles.

Don't worry. You guys aren't like the Case Closed fans unless one of you has stalked Adam at a con including following him into the bathroom.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Sucks to hear, but at least it's an in-depth and genuine response. I've yet to get the rest of the dvds for season 1, let alone watch it -_-.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that really sucks. That also means Nanoha is probably out too since it's pretty much OOP now (and them cancelling the re-release of the A's boxset certainly didn't bode well). This actually contradicts what FUNimation said at ACEN this year who said that they were working on finishing their current Geneon stuff , but I suppose the actual acquisitions team would be a more reliable source.

There is some confusion here though. How did the WTC license expire so quickly? It hasn't been that long since the 2nd version of the boxset came out, my understanding was it took at least a few years without any new release for a license to expire. Also, FUNimation licensed everything new for Shana, BUT the first season of that only got one boxset compared to WTC's two, and it's been OOP for quite a while now. Something isn't adding up.

Also, isn't Chaos Head fairly similar to Higurashi? That would contradict the idea that they wouldn't touch anything similar to a poor-seller. Plus, that would be unfair to treat the whole genre that way, Higurashi probably underperformed due to the way the singles were spread apart due to Geneon collapsing. Really, I can only assume she's exaggerating, such a strict attitude would be unwise for business. Let's say quite a few years ago FUNimation got some un-noteworthy reverse-harem title and it bombed, so they passed on Ouran (which sold very well for them). Just saying.....

I'm not calling Sophie a liar or anything, but some of her statements just don't seem right.

Oh well, hopefully Sentai (neither Higurashi or Nanoha seem up Nozomi's alley) will swoop in and save the day like with Hell Girl.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, isn't Chaos Head fairly similar to Higurashi?

Though I haven't actually watched Chaos Head, from what I have seen it seems to have more of sci-fi/virtual reality thingy set in a modern, urban setting going for it, where as Higurashi is set in a sleepy country town with malevolent folklore. So maybe Funi thinks there's enough of a differance between the two to justify getting it, and that maybe Chaos Head's setting is, in the end, a bit more marketable.

Plus I believe chaos head is 12 episodes so it's probably cheaper to liscence

Last edited by Shenl742 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
This is why it is so crucial that the R1 distrib scene does not lose any more players. It's a delicate ecosystem, but right now it seems to be working. You have Funi and Sentai releasing the most titles, but for the most part following different strategies, and then you've got Media Blasters, VIZ, Bandai, Aniplex all doing their thing, with Nozomi and NISA bringing up the super-niche rear. Naturally, even that net doesn't catch everything we'd like, but so far it's doing not a bad job in this post-anime bubble environment.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising given it hasn't happened yet, but still F***ing lame that there are still good series out there that will never be finished domestically. I also take this to mean they'll be steering clear of Okamikakushi too. Sad

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Also, FUNimation licensed everything new for Shana, BUT the first season of that only got one boxset compared to WTC's two, and it's been OOP for quite a while now. Something isn't adding up.

Actually Shana also had 2 sets. The first released in 2008 was in a thinpak while the second released in 2009 was in a brick.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Kinda funny when you think about it. Funimation said who knows how many times that Higurashi was selling well, and was flying off the shelves at cons and online.

Oh well, hopefully someone picks up what was started. Even though I'm not a big fan of WTC after you know, the whole ending deal with Umineko.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't worry. You guys aren't like the Case Closed fans unless one of you has stalked Adam at a con including following him into the bathroom

Did that really happen?
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Kinda funny when you think about it. Funimation said who knows how many times that Higurashi was selling well, and was flying off the shelves at cons and online.

Oh well, hopefully someone picks up what was started. Even though I'm not a big fan of WTC after you know, the whole ending deal with Umineko.

I remember them saying that as well.

Oh well... Glad we have some info on it's status, and I'm glad I bought the first boxset that they released.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Not surprising given it hasn't happened yet, but still F***ing lame that there are still good series out there that will never be finished domestically. I also take this to mean they'll be steering clear of Okamikakushi too. Sad

God, I hope so. Did not care for that show. I liked WTC a ton, but Okamikakushi seemed very limp to me.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
Aww for shame. That Geneon box is so lovely and looking more alone than ever on my shelf right now Sad
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
Sophie wrote:
Not enough people buy dramas.
It's probably not expensive anymore.

RED FLAG DETECTED

I'm not saying Sophie is a liar, but the math certainly doesn't add up here. It also gets difficult to understand when the same company finds their expectations "exceeded" over their S.A.V.E. line sales.

It's either this company truly has no idea what the market is they're selling to, or there's more going on behind the scenes which prevents them from picking up an inexpensive series (for example, perhaps there's some additional titles they have to license in addition to which wouldn't be applicable to non-corporate licensing entities).

I'd like to cry "bummer" on this, but I'm at a loss of words when this company will easily pick up Baka & Test while leaving Hell Girl standing on the side of the road wearing that gorgeous kimono.

This industry makes no sense to me and I'm no longer buying the "it won't sell" argument.

S.A.V.E. proves the statement is bullshit with today's anime market, not the one around when Geneon still had a presence.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
I suppose what she means by "dramas don't sell" she means, "dark, dreary, depressing,slow shows with very little action".

Which really wouldn't surprise me in the least, really. Those types of shows don't really attract a good enough deal of fans.

Now, I'm SURE someone here will argue over what constitues as "dark/dreary/depressing/slow"...or "what attracts enough deal of fans", for that matter. But whatever...
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
Ugh, gonna be judging all fans of a franchise just because of one retard? Guess anime fandom's snobbery runs up to the professionals as well.

Let's also think about it. They renamed (or whoever did, but they still stuck with the shitty naming) Higurashi and marketed it as When They Cry, which is an awful name that kept me away from the title for years even though I love that kind of stuff, and Detective Conan to Case Closed. Case Closed, really? "Detective" is such a good word in the market, yet they got some horrid name like Cased Closed which doesn't even give me an idea of what the show is about.

Yeah, Funimation, keep away from titles like Higurashi if that's the kind of marketing you'll do.

Last edited by egoist on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3