• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discotek Runs Poll for Possible Standard Definition BD Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:

What would happen if they encoded an SD BD straight to 480p progressive without IVTC? Would a BDP simply not know what to do with a straight 480p encoded video and freak out? Has anyone ever tested this for sure?

The Perfect Blue BD from Anime Limited in the UK, has the movie trailer in 480p format. On my Panasonic BD it displayed incorrectly then crashed my player...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/jcanth/picbin/PICT0198_zpshm8tskhb.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/jcanth/picbin/PICT0199_zpsxlwcmhmj.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/jcanth/picbin/PICT0201_zps6krh8ptj.jpg~original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/jcanth/picbin/PICT0202_zpspwr9h1up.jpg~original

Apparently it works adequately on some players, but not others.[/img]
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
I can't remember if Fist of The North Star used MPEG2 or AVC on SD BD. I do remember the bit rates were lower than I hoped. Which was my main want from a SD BD, a much better encode.

FotNS is listed as AVC (MPEG-4 AVC, 11.20 Mbps), with a mix of Dolby Digital and other audio formats, depending on what they were given in materials per audio track.

Discotek's Wonderful Wizard of Oz was MPEG-2 (probably the exact DVD rips pressed to a larger disc, likely because that's what they had to work with and recompressing would have been destructive.) And Samurai Pizza Cats is pretty old (already as a 2016 release) and seems to have some weird formatting, so it's probably best not to look at it too closely.

I'm not sure what other SD-on-BD is out there? I see some Sentai works of old shows and I know they're going that direction in the future, but they seem to be 1080p upscales.

MrBonk wrote:
The PS4 for example cannot handle IVTC properly and results in ugly deinterlacing artifacts. We really really need to be past this old interlaced crap that doesn't need to exist anymore.

Eh, I don't agree with extending that generalization so far. Discotek is working with some very old shows, and it is bound to run into almost all of the problems imaginable in putting old video in a new format. You unfortunately cannot generalize the "right way" to handle video when you're talking archival content and international video technology (and in this case, let's throw in BD Association format handcuffing as well.) The telecine method here is an unfortunate issue added to the mess of trying to put perfectly-good 24fps 480 video onto a disc format that is designed to reject it, and I agree it's unnecessary except for the BDA being arcane, but wherever old video goes, interlacing is bound to be part of the equation.

Just Passing Through wrote:
The Perfect Blue BD from Anime Limited in the UK, has the movie trailer in 480p format. On my Panasonic BD it displayed incorrectly then crashed my player...

A shame.
I'd have less objection to anime disc manufacturers abandoning DVD for Blu-Ray if the Blu-Rays were just storage discs for MP4 files that I could play on my BD Player's media browser or offload (securely) to a tablet, instead of being "official" Blu-Ray products. The way it is now, they have to compromise the material a scosh in order to get it to play within the BDA ruleset (and even that so far will not play perfectly on a PlayStation,) plus I still have to rip it and store it elsewhere if I want to have it on-the-go (which is how I watch 90% of my material since I have a work commute.)

Unfortunately there's no specific medium for that. I want a physical copy and a nice box on my shelf, I'm not eager to buy from iTunes or wherever else sells downloadable files (even if there's potential for the shows to play better there than on a BD -- by the by, does iTunes have bandwidth restrictions or custom file compression rules?) but even though the technology exists for that, the product for it really doesn't.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing bit rates lower than 11 mbits when watching a few episodes of FOTNS. Or at least so I think. I might be remembering wrong.

But again on interlacing. It only existed out of necessity for 15khz CRTs. It doesn't need to exist anymore, nothing should be interlaced anymore. (Yet HD cable, at least where I live is still 1080i purely probably to save bandwidth) If source materials are in some interlaced format, they can be processed before encoding into a progressive format. But if BD players will crash and freak out when presented 480p video without IVTC then there really isn't a point then of even trying I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3