• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits- (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It strikes me as rather counterproductive to treat a fever in a snow woman by feeding her cold things while still wrapping her in a thick comforter on top of her multi-layered kimono. It's not caused by infection, so it's not like maintaining a fever is helpful, and she probably doesn't get chills, so it's not even about comfort.

I was going to say that maybe she does not release heat so the thicker items keep her from the heat, but then realizing that specifically a fever is involved. Maybe we would need a Hozuki level explanation?

I did warm up to O-Ryo towards the end, specifically that she was acting a little bitchy, but more that it felt like she was being genuine to Aoi. Like, if she actually hated Aoi, she would not have been demanding at getting her to cook food for her, she probably would have been more "smell ya later". I think Aoi is also being more open to the master, because he is seeing her more as a person rather than the object she was when he knew little about her.

Siblings were also cool, I like the difference in their different appearances, and the brother sulking was kind of cute. Whether Aoi would be allowed to do so, it kind of feels that if the sister wants to go back to the other world for a while, it might be best that she goes with her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
I forgot to say that between O-Ryo and Akatsuki, she's more on her way to opening a clinic than a restaurant. Smile

Also, it looks like last week's lovely ED sung by Ōdanna (Katsuyuki Konishi) was a one-off, which leaves me wondering why. Or maybe they'll alternate them now. Aoi sings the OP, though she's only credited by seiyuu and not by character.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I think ep4 was the first time I thought of this show as a comedy, what with all of the absurdities in play.

Re: fever in a snow woman - I took the fever as a sign that she'd lost her mojo, for lack of a better term. The cold foods and snuggly blankets seemed a bit like the yuki-onna equivalent of "chicken soup like mom/grandma used to make". Was her mood improving because of her health? Or did her health return because of her response to Aoi's friendly ear?

The ayakashi seem to have a poor sense of the flow of mortal time, so I don't think spider-geisha is going to have as nice a time in the apparent realm as she believes. I actually hope that Aoi is able to join her, otherwise she might need rescuing.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote

The sibling arc is resolved in a (somewhat) satisfactory manner. Viewers are also treated to more background exposition involving Tsubaki Shirou, the spider siblings and the debt which got Tsubaki Aoi into the spirit realm in the first place. I'd almost forgotten that Suzuran was being pursued, such was the pace of this episode but it's deliberately done to get both of them back to the mundane realm.

There's always food in every episode. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Gyoza, the animators do a great job showing off the process of preparation and the final product (which does look delicious).

The freeloading weakling Kappa is now sponging off Aoi in the spirit realm. He's there for comic relief, but I wonder if he'll come in handy since Aoi is (in)famous in the spirit realm and there are others who are out to seize her by force.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:57 am Reply with quote
That was a touching episode. So the lovely new ED was sung by Akatsuki and Suzuran's seiyuu, Yuuma and Maaya Uchida, who are siblings in real life. Sweet.

Since they're contracted to different labels for singing, I wonder how hard this duet was to arrange, or if it will ever be released.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:19 am Reply with quote
I do have a weakness for a well done sibling story.

Sure the kappa is cute, but there is a cuter mascot this season.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote

It's taken her a while, but she's finally opened up the eatery she promised back in episode #2. Despite all of the early encouragement and good omens, the last scene is a bit of a surprise when it's revealed she has no customers for the first seven days. To top it off, she's been summoned by the number crunchers to account for her running costs.

It's a running motif/running joke that time flows very differently in the spirit realm. What humans would deem a lifetime is but a dip in the ocean for the centuries-long lifespan enjoyed by the native denizens. It's almost like everything to them is 100x the equivalent in human years. The other motif is how much the Ayakashi see her grandfather in Aoi, yet despite the similar level in spiritual powers she doesn't have the same physical attributes that made him so infamous in the world beyond.

The show isn't finished with its character introductions, yet it still manages to mix food presentation and progression of the main plot in a fairly seamless manner. Perhaps the audience will get to know a little more about the fire-breathing assailant and any possible links to the mysterious Ayakashi commenting about the Tenjinya Master's new bride.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Although it certainly doesn't get as deep as Spice and Wolf, I actually really appreciate that the show didn't sugar-coat the whole "I'll open a restaurant" idea. Sure, Aoi has skill and can-do spirit, and even a couple of patrons, but from what we've seen of the spirit realm the ayakashi clearly have some kind of economy. Vendors have wares for sale, ogre-sugar-daddy buys gifts for Aoi, kitsune-boy dodges the dinner check, and there's talk of a network of suppliers keeping the inn well-stocked.

I've actually got more respect that the innkeeper's accountant is stepping in, presumably to learn Aoi's business plan, and maybe lead to a fun "marketing" expedition in town. I also have more respect for Odanna, for respecting proper boundaries (in this aspect, at least) and letting her learn the business for herself.

The difference between josei & shojo - even when you fall into a fantasy realm, girl's gotta work LOL
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote

There's a lot more food featured in this episode than usual, probably because the pace has slowed a bit as Aoi gets by her financial straits with a little bit of help from a publicist and everyone's most-wanted youkai guardian for business. As soon as O-ryo mentioned the guest was a writer, I thought it might help turn the cafe's fortunes around provided she did a good enough job to get him to mention the place in his column.

Zashiki-Warashi almost always have black hair (at least the ones I've seen to date). This is the first one who has blond hair. Also, the gift of the ball is something I've not encountered before. Either way, the blessing of the Zashiki-Warashi has helped turn what was always an inauspicious location for doing business into the hidden weapon the Inn Master hinted at. Just as well Aoi isn't going to slack off any time soon, for the Zashiki Warashi turns upon those who sit on their laurels and when she withdraws her blessing any and all businesses collapse soon afterwards.

Another lucky break at the end of the episode. Surprisingly enough Aoi is not the only visitor from the human realm who's stayed long-term in the world beyond. I wonder what will happen then if she pulls off the stint and makes it a spectacular success.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Amazing what a little (any) advertising will do. I'm not sure how she expected to get customers if no one knows she's got a restaurant hidden back there.

Given that Aoi was taught to cook for the tastes of the hidden realm, I wonder if her dishes will suit a human, unless they've acquired that same preference. I thought we were already told that people on this side didn't much like her cooking (or maybe just that she, as the human representative) didn't like her grandfather's cooking at first.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote
A little girl, in traditional Japanese clothes, who comes out of nowhere, likes beans, and is interested in non greedy choices of a merchant. What could she possibly be?

I figured it out really quickly, regardless of the blonde hair, that she was a zashiki warashi. Maybe the blonde ones are extra lucky?

A part of me always gets a bit giddy when accounting departments are brought up in anime.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Given that Aoi was taught to cook for the tastes of the hidden realm, I wonder if her dishes will suit a human, unless they've acquired that same preference. I thought we were already told that people on this side didn't much like her cooking (or maybe just that she, as the human representative) didn't like her grandfather's cooking at first.

Which episode?
To date Aoi has not cooked for anyone other than Ayakashi and her grandfather (who lied about what he really liked to train her cooking skills towards the Ayakashi palate).

The spiders have eaten Shiro's gyoza and didn't exactly spit it out because it tasted terrible. She's had plenty of praise from the otherworld's denizens regarding her cooking skill, so I don't see why she's at a disadvantage trying to please the royal couple just because one half is a compatriot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Lol at Byakuya singing the ED love song to his "tube kittens." (pipe kittens maybe?)

Aoi just can't be left alone for a second, can she. Heck, she wasn't even actually alone and she still got kidnapped.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Lol at Byakuya singing the ED love song to his "tube kittens." (pipe kittens maybe?)

Although thinking it sounded and looked nice, it took me a little bit to realise the song was not just about the standard fair of a song about love, but specifically what must be his thoughts of attachment to the tube kittens. Which made it awesome.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Aoi just can't be left alone for a second, can she. Heck, she wasn't even actually alone and she still got kidnapped.

It is what can expect in the life of a josei protagonist. One second you are chilling with your male friend, the next you fall unconscious and wake up in a cage. To be fair, Aoi is reasonably good by standards.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Haven't had a chance to watch this week's episode yet, but FYI Viz announced that they've licensed the manga for Fall release (print & digital). No word on the novels, but I'm excited for this, as it seems like the anime won't cover all that much of the (ongoing) story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6