• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director, Studio Ghibli Co-Founder Isao Takahata Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
No...way.

Truly devastating news. The industry has lost one of its shining lights. R.I.P., Mr. Takahata. I don't think anyone will ever forget what you've accomplished for the world of animation.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
OMG I only noticed this now! Massive loss of one of the greatest artists Japan has ever produced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
So last night I visited ANN and saw a somewhat misleading headline about "Industry Figures Give Send-Off to Isao Takahata," and I thought "please just be retiring, please just be retiring..." Then I read the first line and said DAMN IT! because DAMN IT!! SIGH.

Although I'm not on the hype train with Grave of the Fireflies (I have it and love it though, of course) as it's apparently very misunderstood to be an anti-war tragedy type story, I loved Takahata and honestly he produced the bulk of my favorite Ghibli movies, so I suppose I could argue that he was the best director there. Even if Grave of the Fireflies was not an anti-war movie, Takahata really felt strongly about peace and sympathized with disaffected youth, whom he didn't want to see get beaten down by society as with previous generations.

And of course, who can possibly forget his contribution to the original Lupin III TV series from 1971, along with Miyazaki? Such a shame too that he had way more he wanted to do. The way the Princess Kaguya voice actress described him, he really was passionate about what he did and of course was a genius.

R.I.P. Takahata-sensei.
sniper23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:41 am Reply with quote
We all knew this day would come.

Requiescat in Pace...
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 am Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies is being broadcast tonight, preceded by a mini-documentary, in commemoration.

(Crimson Love Letter has been moved back a week to April 20)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5