• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Superhero Ouroboros

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Sorry, guys, too much Shonen Jump Weekly-ese in your treatise of the anime shows et al. It's your site, opinions, plus you have the right(s) to espouse your take on things as far as I can tell as we've not become a police state yet.

Enjoy the day, everyone. ....maybe next time.....

Did we listen to the same podcast? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It is good to hear from you guys. Unfortunately for me Darling in the Franxx has lost most of its steam. Its visuals continue to be very strong, but, like Zac and Jacob say, it is a predictable show with nothing interesting to say. And on anime remakes, I will repeat myself: please have Bones and Matsumoto make Trigun Maximum.

I look forward to the piece on Takahata.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I am kind of baffled by why some people keep saying that they are bored and/or irritated by the heterosexual relationships in Darling in the Franxx. Personally speaking I find this show to be a good romance story and one of the best mecha shows I have seen in the last decade. The show still has plenty of time to crash and burn which is a risk with any original production but at the moment I am invested in seeing what happens with Hiro and Zero Two.
While it's take on heterosexual relationships is interesting and the action is entertaining, both have become really forced and dumb. The show's biggest problem is that it is very alienating to the LGBT community. While it's not a hinderance for the show itself, it does create an uncomfortable entry barrier for what has become a norm.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I am kind of baffled by why some people keep saying that they are bored and/or irritated by the heterosexual relationships in Darling in the Franxx. Personally speaking I find this show to be a good romance story and one of the best mecha shows I have seen in the last decade. The show still has plenty of time to crash and burn which is a risk with any original production but at the moment I am invested in seeing what happens with Hiro and Zero Two.

If the show was something like Seiren, then no one would care that no one was gay, but it turns out that there is a tremendous amount of crossover within the English-speaking anime community between the people who would be interested in watching a show where melodramatic teenagers with relationship problems pilot giant robots in a dystopian world, and the people who would likely become actively pissed off when a show they're watching ends up being about as socially-aware of how LGBT characters would fit into its fictional world as an average episode of Fuller House.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
Let's see what I said here about 11 weeks ago:
Quote:
My guess is that Darling in the Franxx doesn't go to a direction that interests Jacob or Zac. To give a concrete prediction, I give a 0.85 probability that Zac stops following it weekly in the next 10 weeks.

So my concrete prediction was wrong, but at least the guess about the direction of the show seems correct, unless something unexpected happens in the remaining episodes.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
@74:00 in, Zac suggest Warner Bros make a "Batman and Love Live"-type story. Zac, you are digging a possible hole for yourself there.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
Let's see what I said here about 11 weeks ago:
Quote:
My guess is that Darling in the Franxx doesn't go to a direction that interests Jacob or Zac. To give a concrete prediction, I give a 0.85 probability that Zac stops following it weekly in the next 10 weeks.

So my concrete prediction was wrong, but at least the guess about the direction of the show seems correct, unless something unexpected happens in the remaining episodes.

It's because instead of looking at the themes the show is actually talking about (nature vs. artifice, individual vs society, freedom vs. conformity, etc.) they only wanted the show to make social commentary on LGBT relationships in their post-apocalyptic world. I don't know if either Zac or Jacob have read The Golden Bough, which is the shows main literary influence, but it gives you the perspective on what their world is emulating. A show doesn't have to make social commentary in order to be "good" or thematically deep, and trying to force your own desire of a specific commentary is rather unfair.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I don't know if either Zac or Jacob have read The Golden Bough, which is the shows main literary influence

Oh, good, "The Idiot's Guide to Religious Symbolism". I haven't watched the show in a while, but I assume that means that they must have already beaten the audience's head in with mistletoe imagery, and how it's a metaphor for human conflict? (Mistletoe plants fight each other when they get close JUST LIKE PEOPLE! OMG!!!)
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
I don't know if either Zac or Jacob have read The Golden Bough, which is the shows main literary influence

Oh, good, "The Idiot's Guide to Religious Symbolism". I haven't watched the show in a while, but I assume that means that they must have already beaten the audience's head in with mistletoe imagery, and how it's a metaphor for human conflict? (Mistletoe plants fight each other when they get close JUST LIKE PEOPLE! OMG!!!)

The book is more important in its significance to the literary world rather than it's actual analytic content, but that's neither here nor there. The show does love it's mistletoe imagery by the way, but more for the metaphor of nature's death and rebirth rather than human conflict. Throw in Balder and Hringhorni and yes, Franxx does get quite a bit of mileage from mistletoe.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:01 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
The book is more important in its significance to the literary world rather than it's actual analytic content, but that's neither here nor there.

Oh, definitely, from an intellectual history perspective it's probably the most influential scholarly work of the turn of the 20th century. It's just funny to me that people have been complaining for weeks about how Franxx's symbolism is the most basic thing ever, and it turns out it's heavily influenced by a work that - among other things - sought to explain why every culture around the world used the same basic symbolism. Laughing
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Oh, definitely, from an intellectual history perspective it's probably the most influential scholarly work of the turn of the 20th century. It's just funny to me that people have been complaining for weeks about how Franxx's symbolism is the most basic thing ever, and it turns out it's heavily influenced by a work that - among other things - sought to explain why every culture around the world used the same basic symbolism. Laughing

Which is a silly complaint because symbolism's power is only in how concrete it is to its audience. To quote Robert Ebert (a man I definitely didn't always agree with, but do here): “If you have to ask what it symbolizes, it didn't.” Abstract symbolism is rampant in anime and often earns heaps of praise from self proclaimed anime critics that give their own irrelevant meaning to something that had no inherent meaning to begin with. In the case of Darling, it has both very obvious symbolism, such as mistletoe and the Jian bird, and more nuanced ones like the overwhelming power of names (and those who give them) and their consequence to society. The show really is better written than those who discredit will ever admit, as they are only concerned with the social commentary that they wanted the show to discuss, rather than actually analyzing the writing for its own merits. It's a self-imposed, biased critique that has become all too common.

I just want to point out that I definitely don't want to discredit Zac or Jacob's opinion on other aspects of the show. I wouldn't be listening to this podcast every(ish) week if I didn't care what they had to say Razz I just think Darling has many interesting things to talk about that don't involve the piloting process as a metaphor for relationships.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6GPp3CzZVo

Found this guy on youtube. He's doing 1h+ long analysis on each episode of FranXX. So if you want someone to dissect the show instead of giving "opinions", he's your go to guy.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

Found this guy on youtube. He's doing 1h+ long analysis on each episode of FranXX. So if you want someone to dissect the show instead of giving "opinions", he's your go to guy.

The idea that anyone would think someone would be able to talk about anything for over an hour and not give opinions might be the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day, but it's early.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
While it's not a hinderance for the show itself, it does create an uncomfortable entry barrier for what has become a norm.

Since when has that ever been the norm in anime?
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

Been watching him every week because his analysis are by far the best of any youtuber I've ever seen. Would highly recommend as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4