• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Vic Mignogna [2018-05-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
whispers of rumors over the years that it shouldn't be just dismissed

Well I dismiss baseless rumors. Fans get offended all the time and start rumors. Every fan has a cell phone and wants to record their interaction, where is the proof? An actor being super friendly that someone confuses with hitting on people is not a sound argument. Some more popular actors become a target from crazed fans so its hard to tell.

This is my take. I've heard so many rumors that always end up in well I actually just heard from somebody who heard from somebody. Allegedly there is some mysterious YouTube clip that like people have never seen, but they've heard from someone who knew someone who said they saw it and on it Vic was doing some deplorable things.

These are what the Vic rumors are like. Anyone who has ever started a rumor about someone knows that this is classic tell tale traits of shenanigans and tomfoolery. Like you said, where is the evidence? Why is it never a first hand report, it's always like 5 layers of telephone being played.

The worst I've heard is that one time he got angry at a restaurant, because heaven forbid somebody got upset in public once after a long day of meet and greet with otaku.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

He'd express his personal view and some crazed fans would get offended. He'd be super friendly and some crazed fans get offended. Its silly.

Well, that's the crazed fan in general. Makes me think about how it was a crazed fan who shot John Lennon, for instance.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Just an FYI the VAST majority of the time the English VA's are not even in the same room together when shooting. They do their lines solo in the booth most of the time. So for example Greg and Vic could do a show together and never even meet during the course of it. Most of the English VA's also tend to not "shit talk" each other, or other anime staff, publicly. Whether it's due to not wanting to cause a scene, possibly hurt their own career by coming of as hard to work with, or just because they have some class and keep their personal opinions to themselves (or at least in closed door environments). This is not Hollywood where everyone is beefing with everyone and TMZ is following you for more gossip.

Pretty often, though two or more voice actors will happen to be in the same building together, even if they're recording for different projects. I remember an amusing example during the One Piece Podcast when they were interviewing J. Michael Tatum between sessions and someone on the podcast asked about if Sean Schemmel had done any One Piece roles. Apparently, Schemmel was in that recording building at that time and Tatum just yelled "HEY SEAN!" for him to come over and answer the question himself.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
This is my take. I've heard so many rumors that always end up in well I actually just heard from somebody who heard from somebody. Allegedly there is some mysterious YouTube clip that like people have never seen, but they've heard from someone who knew someone who said they saw it and on it Vic was doing some deplorable things.

These are what the Vic rumors are like. Anyone who has ever started a rumor about someone knows that this is classic tell tale traits of shenanigans and tomfoolery. Like you said, where is the evidence? Why is it never a first hand report, it's always like 5 layers of telephone being played.

The worst I've heard is that one time he got angry at a restaurant, because heaven forbid somebody got upset in public once after a long day of meet and greet with otaku.

Celebrity gossip at its finest!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
people love to accuse him of being homophobic

Oh, well that answers my question, because I had actually always wondered if he was gay himself. He seems to be a bit flamboyant and he wears flare pants, so I wondered. Wink ("Not that there's anything wrong with it.")

I've heard that Vic is hard to work with but he seemed pleasant enough the couple times I've met him as a non-attendee.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
xchampion wrote:
I've met Vic a few times already and he is just a really nice guy overall. My interactions have been nothing but pleasant.

Normally I would agree with you. I’ve seen him do a lot of nice things for fans at conventions, such as staying long past his autograph session to sign. But I’ve also seen him do some creepy things, especially when around young, possibly underage, cute girls/women.

My Vic story is that, during one of his appearances at SakuraCon, I was at Cheesecake Factory waiting in the lobby for a table when he came in. He initially was pissed off that they wouldn’t seat him right away, even though it was Easter and many others were already waiting for a table. In front of a full waiting room with many children present, he gets a call, becomes enraged and yelled “I don’t give an F—K what you have to do, just clear my schedule.” Yeah, no. This is not a pleasant man in the slightest. If you have to take a call like that in a restaurant, the courteous thing would be to step outside. And if you can’t do that, watch your language. The pleasant act is just that, an act. If it weren’t, why are there so many stories by other, most women attendees, who have seen another side of him. I doubt all of us are seeking attention, and if we were, why would we have a Vic story when we could focus our efforts on getting a good, TMZ-worthy story with a real celebrity? You have to ask yourself,, if this man is so pleasant, why have several conventions banned him?

Even if its true that this happened. HE IS JUST A HUMAN! He is not a perfect person. Nor am I. Nor are you. We all have off days and good days. We all make mistakes. But because he is a public face a lot people go off on him. Kinda pathetic if you ask me.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
Clean up #2. Last warning, any further personal comments towards anyone, Vic or a user here, will result in the thread being locked and those comments removed. Rule 1 here is be civil. If anyone decides to throw out more personal insults accusing others of statutory rape, or other such degrading personal insults, you will be placed on moderation immediately. We will not tolerate those kinds of trollish personal insults here.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
Vic was the 1st ADV VA to do work in a Funimation title (Broly in the DBZ movies). While I don't know if the freq. of ADV actors working Funi would have still happened had Vic not played Broly, I still call this the "Vic Mignogna effet".
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Every Vic M. interview or article that involves him always involves people talking crap about how he acted at a con or whatever when the article really has nothing to do with it. Leave it alone. I’ve had bad experiences with some VA’s, but I don’t keep bringing it up in every article they’re in.

It's the mindset when somebody is subjected to rumors. Take Michael Jackson for example. Even after he's been proven innocent, he was the butt of many pedophilia jokes until the day he died.

Cadmos1 wrote:
Vic was the 1st ADV VA to do work in a Funimation title (Broly in the DBZ movies). While I don't know if the freq. of ADV actors working Funi would have still happened had Vic not played Broly, I still call this the "Vic Mignogna effet".

It was actually a little sooner than that. He was two characters in "Yu Yu Hakusho" during the Dark Tournament arc (Urashima and Bui), which premiered in the Spring of 2003 while the first Broly movie came out in the Fall of that year.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
Every Vic M. interview or article that involves him always involves people talking crap about how he acted at a con or whatever when the article really has nothing to do with it. Leave it alone. I’ve had bad experiences with some VA’s, but I don’t keep bringing it up in every article they’re in.

It's the mindset when somebody is subjected to rumors. Take Michael Jackson for example. Even after he's been proven innocent, he was the butt of many pedophilia jokes until the day he died.

Cadmos1 wrote:

It was actually a little sooner than that. He was two characters in "Yu Yu Hakusho" during the Dark Tournament arc (Urashima and Bui), which premiered in the Spring of 2003 while the first Broly movie came out in the Fall of that year.

He wasn’t proven innocent. A jury didn’t think there was adequate evidence to find him guilty. That doesn’t mean it’s proof he never committed any crimes. Plenty of people get away with a crime due to a lack of evidence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4